Woeful 2nd quarters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

Woeful 2nd quarters

Our 2nd quarter starts this year seem to have been terrible. Off the top of my head Sydney, Collingwood and now Melbourne. The players either lack intensity and/or make poor skill errors.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Woeful 2nd quarters

I was just about to post about this Spud, it is a real problem. Senior players not putting the body in around contests..Hayes looks he is out of steam, NDS and Montagna and Steven getting kept off the ball too easily. We should be killing Melbourne, but if this is the best our senior players can do, then forget the finals.

Trixilver
Club Player

We've always had trouble with 2nd quarters for whatever reason. Even back in 2011 and 2010.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Spud wrote:Our 2nd quarter starts this year seem to have been terrible. Off the top of my head Sydney, Collingwood and now Melbourne. The players either lack intensity and/or make poor skill errors.
agree shiit game shiit skils.... we're not a top 8 side today.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:agree shiit game shiit skils.... we're not a top 8 side today.
we're not a top 8 side this year, until proven otherwise.

battye
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I was just about to post about this Spud, it is a real problem. Senior players not putting the body in around contests..Hayes looks he is out of steam, NDS and Montagna and Steven getting kept off the ball too easily. We should be killing Melbourne, but if this is the best our senior players can do, then forget the finals.
Well said.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Agree with Battye.

Second quarters are a problem with us.

Today's second quarter was the worst quarter of football I have seen from the Saints all year.

Roo factor?

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
jays
Club Player

very very bad

Spud
Club Player

spert wrote:I was just about to post about this Spud, it is a real problem. Senior players not putting the body in around contests..Hayes looks he is out of steam, NDS and Montagna and Steven getting kept off the ball too easily. We should be killing Melbourne, but if this is the best our senior players can do, then forget the finals.
Your absolutely right, work ethic just not there and a drop off again when we had a good lead in the last. If we want to play finals then we have to be playing with some consistency, otherwise bad habits will continue against better teams.
Last edited by Spud on Sat 11 Aug 2012 6:47pm, edited 2 times in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Today was simply about trying to find some stucture after Roo went off.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Today was simply about trying to find some stucture after Roo went off.

structure does not effect skills or effort

saint4life
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
SainterK wrote:Today was simply about trying to find some stucture after Roo went off.

Skills maybe, but personally I felt they didn't seem to lack effort.

The wind was a factor, first quarter the ball kept holding up in the wind and dropping short, second quarter they kept kicking it way longer than the targets (talking good ball users here)

Very squally today, kept threatening to rain, and everytime it blacked over the wind whipped around.

Seems the players have forgotten how to play outside, then again...the supporters have forgotten how to sit outside as well.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
chook23 wrote:

The wind was a factor, first quarter the ball kept holding up in the wind and dropping short, second quarter they kept kicking it way longer than the targets (talking good ball users here)

Very squally today, kept threatening to rain, and everytime it blacked over the wind whipped around.

Seems the players have forgotten how to play outside, then again...the supporters have forgotten how to sit outside as well.
I was there SKILLS were terrible............................have seen much worse outdoor conditions

terrible plain and simple.

stop wrapping everything in saint cotton wool......

saint4life
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Stop telling me what to think.

Anyway, I agreed with you on the skills, if you read my post

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
chook23 wrote:

I was there SKILLS were terrible............................have seen much worse outdoor conditions

terrible plain and simple.

stop wrapping everything in saint cotton wool......
I agree. There are big problems with the list and they are papered over at the moment and very thinly at best. 2012 won't be a complete waste because we've found some good players but a place in the finals will only be beneficial for the experience to the those new players. The rest will be gone by the time we next make the finals.

Spud
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:I agree. There are big problems with the list and they are papered over at the moment and very thinly at best. 2012 won't be a complete waste because we've found some good players but a place in the finals will only be beneficial for the experience to the those new players. The rest will be gone by the time we next make the finals.

Hopefully Wilkes will be here next year, he's a good back up player and was very good in Roo's absence. Actually more than servicable today, he was excellent, taking some good contested marks.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't the best game.

Wasn't the worst ever though.

Did what they had to, guys like Wilkes, Geary, Dempster, Gram, Fisher, Kosi, Gilbert etc toiled all day for me to check everyone in a 'no effort' box.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Spud wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:I agree. There are big problems with the list and they are papered over at the moment and very thinly at best. 2012 won't be a complete waste because we've found some good players but a place in the finals will only be beneficial for the experience to the those new players. The rest will be gone by the time we next make the finals.

Hopefully Wilkes will be here next year, he's a good back up player and was very good in Roo's absence. Actually more than servicable today, he was excellent, taking some good contested marks.
Wilkes so far has proved he's a good backup player against teams like Melbourne. I reckon I could give the Melbourne backline a run for their money at the moment.