Scotty on Milne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Scotty on Milne

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sp ... 23ygt.html

Milne comment under pressure: Saints coach

"St Kilda's Stephen Milne was under extreme pressure when he directed a homophobic insult at Collingwood's Harry O'Brien during last weekend's AFL clash, according to Saints coach Scott Watters.....

........"You need to be disciplined, you need to be controlled and it's not about laying blame at the doorstep of someone else," he said.

Watters said Milne would strive to improve his on-field actions but in mitigation said the small forward had had a frustrating day.

"One thing that I do check myself on all the time is trying to maintain a perspective, trying to put myself in a player's shoes - a player that cops an enormous amount of criticism and taunts from opposition supporters, and probably hadn't received a couple of free kicks to that point that he thought he might," he said.

"I spoke to (Milne) early in the week about some things he probably wasn't happy with ... how you react to getting elbowed in the head and then not receiving a free kick, and all those sorts of things, you still have a responsibility to control your actions.

"Ultimately you have a choice ... so regardless whether we think it's political correctness gone mad, or whatever, you control that as an individual."

Asked whether the issue was highlighted because it involved Milne, who has been in the headlines previously for the wrong reasons, Watters said: "I have an opinion on that but I'll keep that to myself."

"Some players are probably judged a little differently to others, but that's life."......................"

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: Scotty on Milne

pretty good reply by Watters

Maklom
Club Player

I am relieved that he can speak like a normal human being and not a robot.

My fondness of him grows again.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Awesome address by SW. I like how he sails close to the wind.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Brilliantly done SW.

Has raised issues in Milne's favour without outright criticism of fat Andy or the AFL.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I think Watters is headed for a $10k fine.

He inferred that someone at some time might have made a mistake umpiring.

Anderson and Gieschen will come down on him like a tonne of bricks for this.

Will be lucky to keep his coaching accreditation.

Think of the children!!!!!!!!!!

OH the HUMANITY.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
gringo
Saintsational Legend

It's a shame the Geelong game isn't this week we have a good umpiring display coming on the weekend Milne will kick 6 from frees.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Well done Scotty. Finally someone's on our players side, even though they still fined him. Still, what Scott said was great.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
paddy
Club Player

Agree,

Such an great way with words, he should think about politics!

I think he has really come out to bat for Milney, and his line "I'll keep that to myself" is just genius, we all know what he is thinking but he never actually said it....

seriously, this guy is a gem, or has an amazing PR consultant

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I think Watters is headed for a $10k fine.

OH the HUMANITY.
Everyone. Raise your right arm. Keep it straight fingers as well. Maintain that 45 degree angle and salute the King'!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Watters conceded he had held discussions with the AFL umpire's department, which admitted that O'Brien should not have been awarded a free kick against Milne for a chop of the arms. The free kick denied the Saints a certain goal in the dying seconds which would have tied the game.

He said while the club had received an apology, he wouldn't delve into the private discussions he'd had with the umpire bosses.

"There was an acknowledgment that some of the free kicks probably weren't warranted - that's fine," Watters said.

“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Impressive defence of his player within the rules

Got his point across and if he gets fined for that then good in him anyway

Milne's taken enough shyte - time for some media re- balancing

I still believe Margetts is the culprit here and I'm sure he wants some of the heat for causing a side to definitely lose a game to go away ( before anyone queries that THE facts are HIS decision single handedly destroyed any chances of victory we may have had). Can't believe he received no penalty for such a glaring feck up

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:Watters conceded he had held discussions with the AFL umpire's department, which admitted that O'Brien should not have been awarded a free kick against Milne for a chop of the arms. The free kick denied the Saints a certain goal in the dying seconds which would have tied the game.

He said while the club had received an apology, he wouldn't delve into the private discussions he'd had with the umpire bosses.

"There was an acknowledgment that some of the free kicks probably weren't warranted - that's fine," Watters said.
So we are not talking 1 free error anymore.... and then the one's that they were negligent in not calling

Spin it anyway people want, this game ( and it's not the only game this year) has been a right royal c**k up by umpires. Because we can't discuss it publicly we have zero way of really understanding what's being done to improve it. We have more umps than ever and while everyone makes errors, this is a professional sport that ought to be mature enough to at least discuss it.

We are IMO seeing games over officiated, decisions being made when clearly the umpire has guessed/ responded to the crowd and it has to improve.

Out if our mess with Margetts I would at least hope these guys are reminded.... If you are going to blow your whistle with a minute left on the clock in a sides fwd 50 be very clear about what you are paying and why.

Still disgusted this gets swept under the carpet in some trumped up 'gay slur' rubbish

“Yeah….nah””
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Impressive defence of his player within the rules

Got his point across and if he gets fined for that then good in him anyway

Milne's taken enough shyte - time for some media re- balancing

I still believe Margetts is the culprit here and I'm sure he wants some of the heat for causing a side to definitely lose a game to go away ( before anyone queries that THE facts are HIS decision single handedly destroyed any chances of victory we may have had). Can't believe he received no penalty for such a glaring feck up
Agree .

In red white and black from 73
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Out if our mess with Margetts I would at least hope these guys are reminded.... If you are going to blow your whistle with a minute left on the clock in a sides fwd 50 be very clear about what you are paying and why.

Still disgusted this gets swept under the carpet in some trumped up 'gay slur' rubbish
I think it was 20 seconds to go and Armo running into an open goal (despite fumbling when the whistle was blown).

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Maklom wrote:I am relieved that he can speak like a normal human being and not a robot.

My fondness of him grows again.
yes

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Austinnn
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:Watters conceded he had held discussions with the AFL umpire's department, which admitted that O'Brien should not have been awarded a free kick against Milne for a chop of the arms. The free kick denied the Saints a certain goal in the dying seconds which would have tied the game.

So we are not talking 1 free error anymore.... and then the one's that they were negligent in not calling

Spin it anyway people want, this game ( and it's not the only game this year) has been a right royal c**k up by umpires. Because we can't discuss it publicly we have zero way of really understanding what's being done to improve it. We have more umps than ever and while everyone makes errors, this is a professional sport that ought to be mature enough to at least discuss it.

We are IMO seeing games over officiated, decisions being made when clearly the umpire has guessed/ responded to the crowd and it has to improve.

Out if our mess with Margetts I would at least hope these guys are reminded.... If you are going to blow your whistle with a minute left on the clock in a sides fwd 50 be very clear about what you are paying and why.

I totally agree with all this.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Dermie suggested Monday evening that a letter would be going from AFL /umpires to St Kilda apologising for the free kicks, I'd suggest those given and not given in the last quarter

Well toned response from Scott, just enough innuendo and hints ,

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Awesome address by SW. I like how he sails close to the wind.
You could learn a bit there Cairnsman. :D

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I think Watters is headed for a $10k fine.

OH the HUMANITY.
LMFAO. :D

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure the fun lasts. I see one week of silly frees our way then the full wrath of surly little men with poised whistles.