Round 23 on Sunday @ 1:10pm

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Round 23 on Sunday @ 1:10pm

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl ... 6444794708

"IF ST KILDA or Carlton make the finals, they will have to recover quickly after the AFL released the Round 23 fixture.

A the start of the season the league released a "floating fixture" for the final round, listing the games but not the times they would be played.

The schedule has now been determined based on giving likely finalists the maximum amount of rest going into the first week of September.

The AFL says the highest-placed teams have been scheduled with the earliest games, which is bad news for the Saints and Blues......."

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 23 on Sunday @ 1:10pm

So they couldn't have made it Saturday, even though there is no game at Colonial Stadium on Saturday…

Still a reasonable chance one of those sides will play finals, flying to perth no doubt.

Heaven forbid they tamper with the TV schedule…

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I will be very happy flying to Perth the following week after a Sunday game.

Banger724
Club Player

Posted this elsewhere:
Hard to argue with what they've done, looks about right.
Even if we do make it, can only be 7-8 at best unless I'm mistaken... don't have an issue with the 7th or 8th side copping a 6 day break if that's what it comes down to. If AFL has to stick with 3 games on Sunday for broadcasting purposes, ours is the obvious one to be played on the Sunday.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Banger724 wrote:If AFL has to stick with 3 games on Sunday for broadcasting purposes, ours is the obvious one to be played on the Sunday.
Sure, if they have too…
But surely they could contract it so that the last round could be flexible for this type of scenario?

Banger724
Club Player

dragit wrote:
Banger724 wrote:If AFL has to stick with 3 games on Sunday for broadcasting purposes, ours is the obvious one to be played on the Sunday.
Sure, if they have too…
But surely they could contract it so that the last round could be flexible for this type of scenario?
Given the amount of money they pump into the game, I reckon they're fully entitled to request the structuring of rounds as they see fit to their maximum benefit, so they keep pumping it in for the next rights deal and so on. Those $$$ are obviously very important to the viability of the game, especially for clubs such as ours given our membership numbers, etc.

From a Saints/Blues perspective, I can see that its not ideal as we may still play finals, but in reality, even if we do make it, I don't think the 7th/8th team has any right to whinge about a 6 day break if it eventuates... bearing in mind there will still be a sunday final, which AFL prefers is an elimination final so fair chance if we make it, we'll have a 7 day break anyway.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Yeah but one game? Could barely effect revenue really…

123Saints
Club Player

They can put us Sunday if they want and deal with the fixturing issues if we make the finals but this proves what they are 'hoping' for:
The AFL hopes to release the week one finals fixture on the Saturday night after the completion of the Essendon v Collingwood and Fremantle v Melbourne games.

I'll bet they hope this, will pretty much only be possible if we are no chance of shaping the 8.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Thank god the AFL's dream of having Collingwood, Carlton & Essendon in the top 4 didn't eventuate…
I would spew.

mcadam05
Club Player

What a Great way to wrap the Home and Away Season up by Slapping Carlton around

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Would personally prefer it wasn't on Fathers Day.

Gonna take a bit of fancy talking to get myself to the Dome :(

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Would personally prefer it wasn't on Fathers Day.

"all i want for fathers day is… to go to the footy…" :D
could be lenny's last game :(

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

Not a hope.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

Not a hope.
lenny or spaceman going to the footy?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

Not a hope.
lenny or spaceman going to the footy?

Both.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

At least it's at 1.10 not graveyard 4.40!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Maybe next year they should have GWS V GC and Port V Melb in the last round, then there's two games you don't have to worry about. Instant Sunday lock-ins.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
stevie
Saintsational Legend

The silliest part of it is how the d**khead AFL forgot about some stupid thugby game taking place at Patersons on that weekend.

Assume that was arranged at the start of the year so some f***wit should be sacked for duuuurrrr

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Maybe next year they should have GWS V GC and Port V Melb in the last round, then there's two games you don't have to worry about. Instant Sunday lock-ins.
Add Tiges/Dogs to that... :D

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:The silliest part of it is how the d**khead AFL forgot about some stupid thugby game taking place at Patersons on that weekend.

Assume that was arranged at the start of the year so some f***wit should be sacked for duuuurrrr
Agree. Just like how there is clearly no contractual obligation for channel 7's feed to Foxtel being in HD, even though 7 film their games with HD cameras!

The AFL legal team is useless at getting the detail right.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
stevie wrote:The silliest part of it is how the d**khead AFL forgot about some stupid thugby game taking place at Patersons on that weekend.

Agree. Just like how there is clearly no contractual obligation for channel 7's feed to Foxtel being in HD, even though 7 film their games with HD cameras!

I doubt Channel 7 use HD cameras. Matter of fact they dont. Do you ever stop with whinging. How anyone can even slightly whinge about this is beyond me. Both teams are 2 wins out of the 8 with 4 to go. It makes complete sense. And if we make it sure we wont care about when we played the previous week. Surely we will be just happy to make being so far behind at the moment. I know the players will.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I will be very happy flying to Perth the following week after a Sunday game.
Why's that?

Ok. I get it. ha ha.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

I doubt Channel 7 use HD cameras. Matter of fact they dont. Do you ever stop with whinging. How anyone can even slightly whinge about this is beyond me. Both teams are 2 wins out of the 8 with 4 to go. It makes complete sense. And if we make it sure we wont care about when we played the previous week. Surely we will be just happy to make being so far behind at the moment. I know the players will.

Channel 7 do use HD cameras. That is a fact.You can see the words HD written on the side of their cameras.

I'm comfortable with our Sunday scheduling. Just throwing in the HD issue as well. Maybe you don't care about not getting full HD coverage. Probably doesn't matter if your two sheets under the wind during matches eh plugs?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Channel 7 do use HD cameras. That is a fact.You can see the words HD written on the side of their cameras.

I'm comfortable with our Sunday scheduling. Just throwing in the HD issue as well. Maybe you don't care about not getting full HD coverage. Probably doesn't matter if your two sheets under the wind during matches eh plugs?

I go to the footy for a start so it matters little. If I arent going to the footy I dont care about the HD or not to be honest. And yes I am usually having a drink when watching. Funny that Tim Watson said the dont use HD cameras. Seems strange they would as there is only limited numbers of them. Channel 7 isnt HD either so why give Foxtel that advantage. Makes business sense to me.