Assuming we won't make finals...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

trojansaint
Club Player

Assuming we won't make finals...

What changes to the team/gameplan would you like to see trialled over the coming weeks? I see this as a bit of an opportunity to give some of the kids a run against some ok opposition.

1. Players who are not in the plans for next year should be relegated to the VFL, whether they be Polo, Peake, Clarke, whomever. I am not privy to this information so can't say for sure.

2. A few of our younger players should get a run at AFL level at the expense of some of our older, tired bodies (providing any warrior-saint ever feels the least bit tired). I'd love to see more of Newnes and Ledger, along with debuts from Ross and Markworth for a start.

In light of this, I would love to win games from here on out. Don't want to see the boys drop their heads or hear any ridiculous calls of tanking.

Cheers

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Assuming we won't make finals...

I think you will get your wish with Polo but i doubt there will be more than one change baring suspension this week.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

If we don't make the finals, I think they'll make a few hard calls. Grammy and Kosi would appear to be safe, as they have contractual conditions that will allow them to go around next year. Despite playing last night, I think Polo might be in trouble, with Peake and Raph Clarke. Blakey will probably retire. That leaves us with some interesting conundrums. If Pelchen goes the same route he did at hawthorn, it would appear that those who haven't got the best foot skills could be shown the door. The last man we can afford to lose is Goddard, because of his elite kicking. I'm worried he hasn't signed yet, but hope springs eternal.

Milney should go around again on the back of another productive season. As much as I hate to admit it, because I'm a fan, Gilbo could be the surprise trade or omission. As good as he is overhead, added to the fact he is quick, his poor disposal consistently hurts us on the rebound. For the same reasons CJ might also come under scrutiny. As courageous and disciplined as he is, his disposal, while not bad, simply doesn't hurt the opposition. Crocker and Winmar seemed destined for a last chance on the rookie list. Whatever happens, I'm sure there'll be a few surprises as our list regeneration gathers pace. Add a quality key back, a back up ruck man and further improvement in Armo, Steven, McEvoy, Siposs and Simpkin, along with a couple of Newnes, Ross, Ledger and Markworth bobbing up, I think we might be very competitive again.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
battye
Saintsational Legend

I like Clint Jones a lot, but I agree with you White Winmar. I've got no complaints if he's retained, but unlike Gilbert who I think is a bit more difficult to replace... there could be an opportunity to draft a young midfielder who could learn to tag. I also agree that this could be a good opportunity to place an emphasis on foot skills.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:If we don't make the finals, I think they'll make a few hard calls. Grammy and Kosi would appear to be safe, as they have contractual conditions that will allow them to go around next year. Despite playing last night, I think Polo might be in trouble, with Peake and Raph Clarke. Blakey will probably retire. That leaves us with some interesting conundrums. If Pelchen goes the same route he did at hawthorn, it would appear that those who haven't got the best foot skills could be shown the door. The last man we can afford to lose is Goddard, because of his elite kicking. I'm worried he hasn't signed yet, but hope springs eternal.

Milney should go around again on the back of another productive season. As much as I hate to admit it, because I'm a fan, Gilbo could be the surprise trade or omission. As good as he is overhead, added to the fact he is quick, his poor disposal consistently hurts us on the rebound. For the same reasons CJ might also come under scrutiny. As courageous and disciplined as he is, his disposal, while not bad, simply doesn't hurt the opposition. Crocker and Winmar seemed destined for a last chance on the rookie list. Whatever happens, I'm sure there'll be a few surprises as our list regeneration gathers pace. Add a quality key back, a back up ruck man and further improvement in Armo, Steven, McEvoy, Siposs and Simpkin, along with a couple of Newnes, Ross, Ledger and Markworth bobbing up, I think we might be very competitive again.
Good post thats how i see it also.

I was leaning to trading Goddard.........watching us weekly turn the ball over and realising how hard good users by foot are hard to come by......we need him.

“Yeah….nah””
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm not "assuming" we're going to miss finals...YET! but agree that Polo, Peake, Clarke and Blake will probably be gone next season.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Was made to earn his turn in the midfield, but certainly making the most of it

Trading BJ just seems so foolish to me, but the fact the club hasn't offered him a contract with 4 games to go...

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

BJ Essential if we aren't going to go the way of Footscray.
Can;t understand some posters dislike of Gilbert, disposal the only knock on him (got plenty worse)

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Actually happy if we miss finals.
Get Mad Monday out of the way quicker, Jack S can have a beer or 2, then everyone can start preseason or have surgery or go away with family for a much needed break.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
asiu
Saintsational Legend

yep.
positional and personel changes , but dont use that scary 'tanking' word.

.mush4brains.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:BJ Essential if we aren't going to go the way of Footscray.
in three years we might want to have gone the way of footscray, if they're back in contention and we're languishing down the bottom with not much hope. or not, who knows? but basically everyone has to go down sooner or later, and if you're going to do it then do it properly.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

How come Sydney don't seem to have a need to "bottom out" or whatever its called, in order to remain competetive? IF we are to ever win another flag we need to be CONSISTENT FINALS CONTENDERS. Simple as that!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Jiggster, we have been consistent over the last 10 years and couldn't quite crack it for the big one.
Sometimes you got to take a step back in order to re load and get that final step forward.
We need our current crop of very good players to stay, we need those who give the team some balance to stay.
Those who are no longer able to push us forward go.
Then we have to recruit smart, like Sydney, Hawthorn, we need to identify our weaknesses and recruit to overcome them.
Because of our list, we have plenty of midfielders, both young and experienced.
We are going to need at least two key forwards, as both Roo, and as everyone says Kosi are coming near the end.
Kosi probably atr the end of next season, though some want it now, Roo, I reckon 3 seasons at best because of the wear and tear on him.
Two key defenders, we are short one now, and Fish isn't getting any younger, plus a big mobile ruckman.
Of course these don't grow on trees so we may have to trade or be very smart to get them.
The only time you get lucky is when former players drop them onto you in the form of their offspring.
How many premierships would have Geelong won without their past players breeding good sons.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I think that the days of "bottoming out" are gone - what has Melbourne got out of it?
The Club simply cannot financially afford to bottom out, as the membership and sponsors would be decimated. Picking future stars has proven to be very difficult, even first draft choices. Smart recruiting is the answer.
We must keep Goddard in my view - skills, mentor, Saints man.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:I think that the days of "bottoming out" are gone - what has Melbourne got out of it?
The Club simply cannot financially afford to bottom out, as the membership and sponsors would be decimated. Picking future stars has proven to be very difficult, even first draft choices. Smart recruiting is the answer.
We must keep Goddard in my view - skills, mentor, Saints man.

I agree, West Coast could be seen as "bottoming out" but were actually helped through the fact they had an awful run of injuries and were in the right place for priority picks. Sydney and even Hawks could be seen as on the hop rebuilds which while they stalled they didn't drop hope or competitiveness. We should be looking at constant improvement rather than a clean out on a grand scale we probably will clear some dead wood again but we did that last year too- just that Ross never let most play so they went without fanfare.

Guys like Darch, Winmar and Crock don't look very safe as they seem to struggle to make an impression with the selection committee. Peake seems to be done and Polo looks like he is just depth so might struggle for an extension.

the days of no more priority picks make last spot much less appealing.