Round 18 Team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: Round 18 Team

plugger66 wrote:You would think only Schneider is certain from those bench players. Would they have the guts to drop Kosi. I think he is safe because we have no one else who could really ruck and lets face it if he cant get a kick a few this week then it could be over for him. Tell me we havent signed him to a new contract?
Holding the line on our mate Grammy, Plugggs (along with the coaching staff :wink: ), but looking like we share concerns re the Kosi...

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:You would think only Schneider is certain from those bench players. Would they have the guts to drop Kosi. I think he is safe because we have no one else who could really ruck and lets face it if he cant get a kick a few this week then it could be over for him. Tell me we havent signed him to a new contract?
Holding the line on our mate Grammy, Plugggs (along with the coaching staff :wink: ), but looking like we share concerns re the Kosi...
His time was over 4 years ago.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

TTT. Still somehow bagged Milney even when praising him. Just accept you have wrong about for years

villasaint
Club Player

A full game for Dunell for mine, roo and Kosi out and Wilkes and ray in.

Spud02
Club Player

villasaint wrote:A full game for Dunell for mine, roo and Kosi out and Wilkes and ray in.
Granted Kos hasn't been great, but if Wilkes is recalled we are stuffed. He is not AFL standard, as witnessed in the Bris game. As other posted have alluded to, Kos needs to stay anyway to back up Big Boy.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

we weren't stuffed when Wilkes played and we belted the bombers.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Spud02
Club Player

millarsaint wrote:we weren't stuffed when Wilkes played and we belted the bombers.
Yep he was reasonable against the dons, but take that game out and he averages 5.5 disposals per game

To the top
SS Life Member

Milne kicked 3 in the first quarter, one by utilising his evasion skills when surrounded by 4 defenders (which was not unusual because Sydney swarmed around the contest far better than St Kilda) and kicked another 2 in the last.

Was it 3 of those goals he kicked from some distance out, using the gusting and swirling wind to get good distance?

Each of those long shots were set shots, so he improved on season performance but, in each instance, he was hit on the chest.

In a contested game he did not win hard ball - and was ineffectice in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, allowing for the ball hardly entering our F50 in the 2nd quarter.

Of course, we also did not have a forward line in the 2nd quarter - it was all hands to the decks - hence the desperate hacks from defence were finding Sydney chests and the ball was coming straight back into the Sydney F50.

The pressure mounted and mounted.

In these circumstances certain of our players were found wanting against the body and the physicallity and contributed little.

I left Gilbert out of those who persisted earlier.

Milne was up the ground during these times of absolute stretch but did not get near the ball.

The real question for me is, acknowledging the 5 goals and the manner in which those opportunities were created then finished, should we expect more presence from a 32 year old veteran of over 250 games and do we expect him to use his mature body and experience to contest a ground level game and win the ball to create a stoppage or a clearance opportunity?

Because all Milne did was kick 5 goals from limited possessions (10?) in a game where the ball was significantly on the ground and in scrimmage positions - favouring the small/mid-sized players and where Sydney's resources clearly out-pointed St Kilda's and why we ultimately lost.

Schnieder was similarly inefffective in a game where his skill set was required.

Mature, experienced body expected to share the contested ground ball. Saad has probably never played in such a game, and will learn.

Even, as Sydney showed, winning the hard possession and ensuring you hold the ball in if there is no team mate release opportunity (a review of the holding the ball rule is required here to improve the flow of the game and stamp out this blight of standing and holding your opponent's arms around you pleading that you can not release when the sole intention is to hold in and get a second ruck contest), creating a secondary bounce and a second opportunity to get players around the contest, with the aim of releasing one.

Milne was missing in this game - and against the likes of Sydney St Kilda can not afford to have anyone missing in such a contest.

So, for his 5 goals Milne got into the last position of my best 6 - and past that we had no one who qualified for best 6 so that is a commentary in itself.

Goals need to be kicked, but teams kick goals and I am always appreciative of the lead up work to put or keep the ball in such a position that goals can be kicked - and the pressure put on the opposition to keep the ball within striking distance of goal.

That is why goals per se do not influence me and I do not consider "2 goals a game" as a meaningful indicator of impact.

I look far wider than that.

Do some of you finally get the message?

Montagna, Armitage, Steven and Jones busted their guts, and Hayes was effective in the last but we needed all hands on deck bashing in to get hands on the ball so Sydney did not have their hands on the ball.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I see your point TTT but tfhink in this case youre being a tad harsh in judging Milne.

Milne's primary role is to kick goals - he is the "finisher" to a lot of upfield work and you are right that work is vital to give Milne that chance but in reality, IF Milne kicks 5....hes done his job well.

I dont expect Milne to get 30 touches, 6 clearance and 15 contested posessions - i do expecthim to compete hard when given the opportunity inside fwd 5o and I reckon he did that well.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Montagna, Armitage, Steven and Jones busted their guts, and Hayes was effective in the last but we needed all hands on deck bashing in to get hands on the ball so Sydney did not have their hands on the ball.
This I agree with...

Champion data stats for pressure acts

Joey 17
Armo 27
Steven 24
Jones 15

Lenny 33 :!:

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Milne kicked 3 in the first quarter, one by utilising his evasion skills when surrounded by 4 defenders (which was not unusual because Sydney swarmed around the contest far better than St Kilda) and kicked another 2 in the last.

Was it 3 of those goals he kicked from some distance out, using the gusting and swirling wind to get good distance?

Each of those long shots were set shots, so he improved on season performance but, in each instance, he was hit on the chest.

In a contested game he did not win hard ball - and was ineffectice in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, allowing for the ball hardly entering our F50 in the 2nd quarter.

Of course, we also did not have a forward line in the 2nd quarter - it was all hands to the decks - hence the desperate hacks from defence were finding Sydney chests and the ball was coming straight back into the Sydney F50.

In these circumstances certain of our players were found wanting against the body and the physicallity and contributed little.

Milne was up the ground during these times of absolute stretch but did not get near the ball.

The real question for me is, acknowledging the 5 goals and the manner in which those opportunities were created then finished, should we expect more presence from a 32 year old veteran of over 250 games and do we expect him to use his mature body and experience to contest a ground level game and win the ball to create a stoppage or a clearance opportunity?

Because all Milne did was kick 5 goals from limited possessions (10?) in a game where the ball was significantly on the ground and in scrimmage positions - favouring the small/mid-sized players and where Sydney's resources clearly out-pointed St Kilda's and why we ultimately lost.

Schnieder was similarly inefffective in a game where his skill set was required.

Mature, experienced body expected to share the contested ground ball. Saad has probably never played in such a game, and will learn.

Even, as Sydney showed, winning the hard possession and ensuring you hold the ball in if there is no team mate release opportunity (a review of the holding the ball rule is required here to improve the flow of the game and stamp out this blight of standing and holding your opponent's arms around you pleading that you can not release when the sole intention is to hold in and get a second ruck contest), creating a secondary bounce and a second opportunity to get players around the contest, with the aim of releasing one.

Milne was missing in this game - and against the likes of Sydney St Kilda can not afford to have anyone missing in such a contest.

So, for his 5 goals Milne got into the last position of my best 6 - and past that we had no one who qualified for best 6 so that is a commentary in itself.

Goals need to be kicked, but teams kick goals and I am always appreciative of the lead up work to put or keep the ball in such a position that goals can be kicked - and the pressure put on the opposition to keep the ball within striking distance of goal.

That is why goals per se do not influence me and I do not consider "2 goals a game" as a meaningful indicator of impact.

Montagna, Armitage, Steven and Jones busted their guts, and Hayes was effective in the last but we needed all hands on deck bashing in to get hands on the ball so Sydney did not have their hands on the ball.

This is one of the worst pieces of analysis that I have ever read.

I knew there was a reason I never read your long winded crap. Thank you for reminding me.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I agree IN FULL with To the Top.
Milne- 5 Goals is a nice return, especially considering he seems to play below his normal in interstate games.
But he got less than 10 possies. Normally he would only have kicked 1.3 or something. So his overall contribution was far less than ideal for a veteran like him.

His other comments are right on the money, 100%. Well done, To The Top.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:That is why goals per se do not influence me and I do not consider "2 goals a game" as a meaningful indicator of impact.

yeah, you've got a real blind spot about milney, hey?

measure robert harvey on hitouts won and he would have played three games not 383. measure max hudghton on goals kicked and he won't measure up that well. measure lenny hayes on how many chicks he roots each week and you'll have trouble keeping him in the side.

maybe it makes more sense to measure players on how well they perform their role, rather than making up arbitrary measures which have no bearing on anything?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Aging small forward kicks half his teams goals against the top team interstate. One of them a goty contender, three of them from 50m in swirling winds.
Crap game, honest...if you look 'wider'.

unbelievable. take a year of good posts for ttt to break even after that

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I sometimes wish Reiwoldt could remind himself that essentiallly he is there to kick goals, like Milne

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Milne kicked 3 in the first quarter, one by utilising his evasion skills when surrounded by 4 defenders (which was not unusual because Sydney swarmed around the contest far better than St Kilda) and kicked another 2 in the last.

Why do you continue to waste words. You could have easily said "I hate Milne and I also dont understand footy. Last year I wanted Cahill to replace Milne and Johnson to play FB. I have since been told by someone at the club that they were mistakenly delisted"

To the top
SS Life Member

P

I repeat again, St Kilda are bereft of players with the body size to hold down key positions down the spine, plus Riewoldt, Koschitzke and Fisher are all closing in on 30 years of age and in the twilight of their careers.

So we delist players of 191 and 194 cm who showed some potential when fit (and they were drafted by St Kilda so what does that say?), with no obvious replacements on our list.

Personally, because of the structure of our list I would have retained both Cahill and Johnson for one more season to see exactly how they could contribute and if they represented long term key position players - because we do not have any.

Ferguson and Archer, both rookies, and Wilkes along with the absent Stanley represent our depth and our future.

Look at the spine of Sandringham and tell me where our future and our reserves are.

Milne is 32 years of age and in the twilight - no matter his 5 goals last week in a LOSING team and noting that I have said that I had him in my best 6 - in sixth position and no higher for the reasons outlined.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Patrick Keane‏@AFL_PKeane

STK Int: Siposs, Schneider, Koschitze, Dunell. Emerg; Ledger, Ray, Wilkes. Unchanged.

WB Int: Dahlhaus, G'cusa, L'tore, R'head. Em: Addison, Hargrave, Johannisen.
Roughead, Jones, Smith, Dickson in for D'kura, Higgins, Austin ,Cordy.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Kosi sub?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Kosi sub?
Sub doesn't have to be off the bench does it Carl?

I'd go Siposs or Saad

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Never seen him named on the bench before, so I'm suspicious.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Never seen him named on the bench before, so I'm suspicious.
True.

Perhaps he will miss, or they may of been waiting to see if Roughead was named?

Dunno.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Ray should come in I can't understand why he was dropped after the Brissy game unless injured. I think it's time to drop Kosi and see how we go with one ruck and Wilkes up forward.

wilkes is NOT in my opinion an afl standard player.....now i know the coach disagrees, but.........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Ray should come in I can't understand why he was dropped after the Brissy game unless injured. I think it's time to drop Kosi and see how we go with one ruck and Wilkes up forward.

wilkes is NOT in my opinion an afl standard player.....now i know the coach disagrees, but.........
Amazing, I agree with stinger for once.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Is he depth though, if one of the other guys need a break...or would you rather play Darch?