Contracts talks are open with BJ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Contracts talks are open with BJ...

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
SainterK wrote:Purely speculative.

Nobody would have a clue, what the potential performance measures are, or if they have even got to the point of a fiscal offer.

Surely for a team sport finals wins and premierships would be one of the KPIs negotiated into individual contracts as the terms and conditions for bonuses and incentives, surely.

I doubt that very much. There would be to many guys getting incentives.
Couldn't you divide the kitty evenly? I could be wrong but I'm sure I've heard of clubs offering incentives to players that deliver premierships.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote:
Teflon wrote:Only problem with all these people posting supposedly great contested stats is that the coach has admitted Goddard is struggling to find his own ball from years playing loose in defense.... but what would he know right??
The reason that they are supposedly great contested stats is because the poster that posted them in this thread has posted fudged stats and not just slightly fudged.

From my reading of the stats on the HS website, Goddard has 6 CPs against Sydney and not 11. There are other errors made in the same post but I didn't bother posting them all, same pattern really. Pfft!

Round 9 26 May v Swans Goddard 25 poss 11 cont. Champion Data stats H-Sun 27 May

There really is only one fudger here. As the other poster wrote of you....' It's all very confusing isn't it? You're struggling, show the "other errors" I made in the same post. I have the papers with Saints Champion Data stats from every 2012 round here...
Next time check before going on the attack :oops:

Hold your ground :shock:
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Teflon wrote:Only problem with all these people posting supposedly great contested stats is that the coach has admitted Goddard is struggling to find his own ball from years playing loose in defense.... but what would he know right??
The reason that they are supposedly great contested stats is because the poster that posted them in this thread has posted fudged stats and not just slightly fudged.

From my reading of the stats on the HS website, Goddard has 6 CPs against Sydney and not 11. There are other errors made in the same post but I didn't bother posting them all, same pattern really. Pfft!

Round 9 26 May v Swans Goddard 25 poss 11 cont. Champion data stats H-Sun 27 May

There really is only one fudger here. As the other poster wrote of you....' It's all very confusing isn't it? You're struggling, show the "other errors" I made in the same post. I have the papers with Champion Data stats from every 2012 round here...
Next time check before going on the attack :oops:
No need to, you have all of the papers in front of you. What about the fact that the coach admitted Goddard is struggling to find his own ball. What about the fact that we are 2nd for contested possession and only 10th on the ladder. Clearly the stats you are throwing up fly in the face of facts.

battye
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:Will be good value at $600k. He is absolutely A grade elite and worth every cent. He certainly could've commanded $800k+ at the end of 2010.

I, unlike others around here, won't write him off because of a few poor games.
I agree.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Hate to say it but I really gotta agree with plugger here...

to earn $600k you need to be one of the truely elite players in the AFL and whilst I like Brendan he's nowhere near the Abletts, Pendlebury, Swan etc Heck he's not up there with the Hayes and Dals either

I reckon he's worth $450 tops
Id have him at 450 alsobut if you believe what u read here Grams on 600.....so ferk me......I might pull on the boots and head down to Seaford cause they'repaying out like a broken pokey machine down that way.........

“Yeah….nah””
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Goddard is slow and really degrading as a player.

He is a shadow of his former self. Lacks that drive and fire he used to have.

Very sad considering he is only 27.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:What about the fact that we are 2nd for contested possession and only 10th on the ladder.
just quietly, i reckon that should probably tell you that contested possessions are an overrated stat.

suss
Club Player

ralphsmith wrote:Goddard is slow and really degrading as a player.

He is a shadow of his former self. Lacks that drive and fire he used to have.

Very sad considering he is only 27.
There are teams that would happily pay $800k for the services of this 'degrading' player. Either you're being silly or are silly.

I really hope the players don't read the trash that gets written on this site.

southernsaint
Club Player

I think Brendon is worth the 550-600K. Cloke is reportedly chasing 900-950K over 5 years. If you want to talk about over paid players then Tom Scully at 1 million over 5 years is your man.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:There are teams that would happily pay $800k for the services of this 'degrading' player. Either you're being silly or are silly.
if he can get $800k elsewhere then we should let him go with our blessing. but what we shouldn't do is pay him over the odds.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Goddard took the greatest ever grand final mark. He could have earnt a million a year on the reputation earnt from that godly display of talent.

But he has gone backwards and you can see he himself is frustrated by it in the north game he completely lost his cool and throated that north dude.

I'm not quite sure what the issue is. He hasn't had to overcome a knee reconstruction like Robert Harvey or lennyy Hayes. Nor a terrible hamstring injury like riewoldt.

But he looks unsure on the field not all there mentally. Opposition teams are exploiting it.
We all know he possesses a ridiculous amount of natural ability but something above the shoulders isnt right.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
suss
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
suss wrote:There are teams that would happily pay $800k for the services of this 'degrading' player. Either you're being silly or are silly.
if he can get $800k elsewhere then we should let him go with our blessing. but what we shouldn't do is pay him over the odds.
I agree, but I think we can keep him for $600k and I think he'll take a $200k haircut to stay and i think that's a fair result for all parties. With Roo going on the vets list next year a can't see why BJ can't be paid $600k as our marquee player.

What I absolutely I loath are stupid and offensive comments from people who don't realize a) just how good some players are and b) just how hard it is to get elite players.

One poster in this thread once described BJ and Reiwoldt a 'cancer' at the club. Another silly little knucklehead just had the audacity to call BJ 'slow and degrading'. This from 'supporters'. :roll:

We could trade BJ but the reality is we might only get a first round pick and for that we risk getting a Jack Watts.

suss
Club Player

ralphsmith wrote:Goddard took the greatest ever grand final mark. He could have earnt a million a year on the reputation earnt from that godly display of talent.

But he has gone backwards and you can see he himself is frustrated by it in the north game he completely lost his cool and throated that north dude.

I'm not quite sure what the issue is. He hasn't had to overcome a knee reconstruction like Robert Harvey or lennyy Hayes. Nor a terrible hamstring injury like riewoldt.

But he looks unsure on the field not all there mentally. Opposition teams are exploiting it.
We all know he possesses a ridiculous amount of natural ability but something above the shoulders isnt right.
Really? Are you sure about that? Never did his knee huh?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He had surgery for a hip cartlidge tear end of last year, not sure how significant that is...but it kept him on crutches for 6 weeks

linmarnic
Club Player

BJ is an elite St Kilda player currently experiencing a form slump. I cant believe how quickly some supporters turn on club champions. I say he is worth what ever the club is willing to pay him as that would be his market value to remain at the club and I hope we don't lose him as we have lost previous champions to other clubs in the past. If we want to be a strong club, equal to the best we should not lose any player we want to keep.

Never give up
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
ralphsmith wrote:I'm not quite sure what the issue is. He hasn't had to overcome a knee reconstruction like Robert Harvey or lennyy Hayes. Nor a terrible hamstring injury like riewoldt.
Really? Are you sure about that? Never did his knee huh?
presumably ralphsmith thinks bj was on extended leave for most of 2007.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:What about the fact that we are 2nd for contested possession and only 10th on the ladder.
just quietly, i reckon that should probably tell you that contested possessions are an overrated stat.
Well something is certainly up about that stat. What is a contested possession? and is contested footy passé ?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Well something is certainly up about that stat. What is a contested possession? and is contested footy passé ?
teddy hopkins seems to think so, he says accurate disposal is a better indicator:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... 2089o.html

by that measure bj should definitely be one of our more valuable players. though i reckon this season his disposal's been worse than before (i don't have the figures in front of me).

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
(I don't have the figures in front of me).

I know a poster that does, but that won't help them contribute to this thread in an objective way.

But seriously that is a very, very interesting article.

Haven't we always been known for priding ourselves on our contested footy?

I wonder what Scott Watters approach to contested possession is?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Haven't we always been known for priding ourselves on our contested footy?
the streak in 04 was based more on good disposal, but since the ross lyon days no doubt it's been more about contested footy. hence our list certainly isn't the best in the comp at using the ball - which i suppose leads to the question of whether we can afford to lose one of our best kicks?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It's pretty obvious that BJ is clearly out of form and his confidence is down. Could be injury, adjsuting to a new role or whatever. I wish people on this site would support our players instead of bagging them the first opportunity they get. I really dislike supporters who do that, especially at games. It doesn't help and puts more pressure on the player. I guess some people just want their piece of flesh.

Anyway, the way some people talk it's like they have never had a bad day, week, month at work.

BJ will find his place again and he will string a couple of good games together and the same morons who have been bagging him will come out and say how much they love him and what a super star he is...you friggin tossers.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:It's pretty obvious that BJ is clearly out of form and his confidence is down. Could be injury, adjsuting to a new role or whatever. I wish people on this site would support our players instead of bagging them the first opportunity they get. I really dislike supporters who do that, especially at games. It doesn't help and puts more pressure on the player. I guess some people just want their piece of flesh.

Anyway, the way some people talk it's like they have never had a bad day, week, month at work.

BJ will find his place again and he will string a couple of good games together and the same morons who have been bagging him will come out and say how much they love him and what a super star he is...you friggin tossers.
Agree with this post. The bloke is a gun just having a bit of a slump. Form is temporary, class is permanent. He'll be back

Sobraz
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Haven't we always been known for priding ourselves on our contested footy?
the streak in 04 was based more on good disposal, but since the ross lyon days no doubt it's been more about contested footy. hence our list certainly isn't the best in the comp at using the ball - which i suppose leads to the question of whether we can afford to lose one of our best kicks?
A key element to the Hawks success is their ball use... Wonderful kicks on every line... Mind you, they are a good contested ball team too, but plenty of 'outside'-ish type players that use the ball at a very efficient rate...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:It's pretty obvious that BJ is clearly out of form and his confidence is down. Could be injury, adjsuting to a new role or whatever. I wish people on this site would support our players instead of bagging them the first opportunity they get. I really dislike supporters who do that, especially at games. It doesn't help and puts more pressure on the player. I guess some people just want their piece of flesh.

Oh like "your" way of supporting the club (which is based on idolisation and never questioning a performance) is THE only way we should all support the club???

There's only 1 tosser here pal - get off your friggin self righteous high horse and grab a mirror you mini Napoleon.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
bergholt wrote:
A key element to the Hawks success is their ball use... Wonderful kicks on every line... Mind you, they are a good contested ball team too, but plenty of 'outside'-ish type players that use the ball at a very efficient rate...
Agree with this and it's why I'm praying like mad that Pelchen ( who reputedly favors great skills above all else) can weave some magic here for us. Early recruiting crops thus far seem to suggest a shift in focus from ball winning role players to good ball users (most of our new kids appear ok in this area) so lets hope in time we too become renowned for skill level.

That article on contested possession is such a great read - and once again proves why the Dal Santos of this world are first tagged. If he wins a contested possession he has the ability to hurt the opposition due to his superior decision making/skill level. If Clint Jones wins one... it could get handed straight back or go straight up in the air. We can't have 22 Dal Santos of course so we gotta pray we get that balance right.

“Yeah….nah””