'Joey the key free agent'

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: 'Joey the key free agent'

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Lucky to get any compensation IMO. I think most codes that have free agency give you nothing when a player leaves. I like the idea of the AFL detemining the compensation otherwise nothing would get done and the club lucky enough to get someone shouldnt be penalised. Lets face it any club can try to get anyone if you have money in your cap. Anyway i doubt many stars will leave. More likely a Jimmy Gwilt type.
I think the club buying a star should have to be part of the compensation, If the Chris Judd scenario was coming up now, then Carlton would just buy him without giving up a single pick or player. West Coast would get one mid-range pick at the expense of all the other clubs instead of Carlton handing over Josh Kennedy and picks # 2 & 20, which was a good deal for both.
I don't particularly want to see Carlton add Nathan Fyfe to their side in a couple of years and give up nothing in return.

Why is it always other sides that this will happen too. Arent we allowed to participate in Free Agency?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Lucky to get any compensation IMO. I think most codes that have free agency give you nothing when a player leaves. I like the idea of the AFL detemining the compensation otherwise nothing would get done and the club lucky enough to get someone shouldnt be penalised. Lets face it any club can try to get anyone if you have money in your cap. Anyway i doubt many stars will leave. More likely a Jimmy Gwilt type.
I think the club buying a star should have to be part of the compensation, If the Chris Judd scenario was coming up now, then Carlton would just buy him without giving up a single pick or player. West Coast would get one mid-range pick at the expense of all the other clubs instead of Carlton handing over Josh Kennedy and picks # 2 & 20, which was a good deal for both.
I don't particularly want to see Carlton add Nathan Fyfe to their side in a couple of years and give up nothing in return.

Why is it always other sides that this will happen too. Arent we allowed to participate in Free Agency?
I'm not excluding us from the idea at all, If we were to snare Hurley in a few years I don't think it should be done without giving up something in return.
The reality is though that most of the best players traded in recent years have gone to the richest few clubs, Hawthorn, Carlton, Collingwood… so you would assume that they will be the ones who will benefit most from free agency too.

How have Hawthorn added Hale, Burgoyne, Gibson, Guerra, Bruce, Gunston to a side already full of highly paid premiership stars? Creative accounting?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

I'm not excluding us from the idea at all, If we were to snare Hurley in a few years I don't think it should be done without giving up something in return.
The reality is though that most of the best players traded in recent years have gone to the richest few clubs, Hawthorn, Carlton, Collingwood… so you would assume that they will be the ones who will benefit most from free agency too.

How have Hawthorn added Hale, Burgoyne, Gibson, Guerra, Bruce, Gunston to a side already full of highly paid premiership stars? Creative accounting?

Dont think many of them would be on huge money. Anyway thats what happens when you have a younger side which they were when they got most of them. We chose to keep all our stars and when you dont win a flag you probably pay over the odds to keep them. When you do win a flag players tend to stay for less money.

Superstar
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
Free agency compensation will be far less. Compensation will be assessed at the end of trade week and will depend on how many players you've lost/signed. I've heard here that the top level of compensation is going to be mid first round, but I don't know that as a fact. I have no idea whether we could get multiple picks for multiple players leaving.

Spot on Free agency Compo wont be as generous as the GC/GWS compo. The Compo is tied in with the your net loss/gain of free agents, I don't think trades come into account.

Though you are correct on the timeline.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default ... sid=130821
The free agency window will open on October 1 and run for three weeks, overlapping with an extended three-week trade period, which closes on October 26.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Saints in talks with Montagna over contract

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 22d46.html

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Montagna is one of a number of free agents who are expected to stay with their clubs - Geelong's Steve Johnson is another, as is Montagna's teammate Brendon Goddard (who is a restricted free agent). Johnson is an unrestricted free agent, having more than 10 years of service with the Cats.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

how many f****** words are going to be written on this crap with zero facts, all of which contradict each other? do the journos even stop to think about how the agents/clubs are using them?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I could live with Joey and BJ both going to the Suns for O'Meara, Swallow and Bennell, fair? lol

What about BJ to GWS for Tyson and pick 1 in 17 year old mini draft?

Or, BJ and Joey for Reid and Beams with an exchange of draft picks.

Ok, I am bored but surely these are food for thought/ a bit of fun if we were resigned to losing them.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:I could live with Joey and BJ both going to the Suns for O'Meara, Swallow and Bennell, fair? lol

What about BJ to GWS for Tyson and pick 1 in 17 year old mini draft?

Or, BJ and Joey for Reid and Beams with an exchange of draft picks.

Ok, I am bored but surely these are food for thought/ a bit of fun if we were resigned to losing them.
I want the forwards from the Giants instead with Mohr thrown in for a sweetener.

Richter
SS Life Member

Seems like a pretty informative article to me. States the Gram stuff in more detail than I've read before, and more specific about our top players.

I would say that we have one more year to keep this group together and then there will be a significant change in who gets the $$. For instance, I'm guessing that Rooey would be on $800k plus currently (contract runs to end of 2013)... but you'd expect that to drop down to say $500-600k from the year after that... similarly Kosi will take a big drop (or be de-listed) after next year... Dal and Joey would be on a fair bit less also. Meanwhile BJ would be looking to make this next contract a major money spinner... To me this suggests that he will be on a back-ended deal, and that would still leave us with $$ to chase free agents from next year on... doesn't really matter about this year anyway, as there doesn't seem to be anyone worth chasing.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Richter wrote:Seems like a pretty informative article to me. States the Gram stuff in more detail than I've read before, and more specific about our top players...
  • "Gram's re-contracting is assured, since he has a clause that gives him an automatic extension, on similar terms to this year, if he is passed medically fit to play and has met certain minimum game requirements. He has played the past 11 games."
Now I'm concerned. :shock:

Once again, Grammy that last-quarter-against-the-Tuggers-style-of-effort needs to be the norm... if so, then you are worth every penny.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: