Ben Reid our next key defender?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kos
Club Player

Ben Reid our next key defender?

The stkildafc should try and woo Ben Reid from collingwood. It's time to make a statement of our own!

He is out of contract and should be made a priority in our quest to build a premireship contending team.

Saints need to target him as Luke ball was targeted as being a missing ingredient to a successful team.

Tough decisions need to be made with certain players to clear room in the salary cap. Make Reid our marquee player!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ben Reid our next key defender?

I actually worry about all his soft tissue injuries.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Salary cap?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

He is what we lack.

“Yeah….nah””
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:He is what we lack.

Yes he is

willing to give up 1 st round pick's if not more for him?

If not, not a chance in hell of getting him if he went to the draft all the clubs with picks before us will pick him up, this is collingwood that rarely trades any players off their list and espeacially any young ones with talent.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If we got him id be ecstatic. Just turned 23.

Sainter K - I wouldn be too worried about his soft tissue injuries. Often young tall guys are plagued with this early but "harden up" as their bodies/muscles get more used to the rigours of long demanding seasons. Just look at our Rhys. Usually by 25 these guys become hardened AFL players.

Id say our chances are extremely slim - at best :-(

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:If we got him id be ecstatic. Just turned 23.

Sainter K - I wouldn be too worried about his soft tissue injuries. Often young tall guys are plagued with this early but "harden up" as their bodies/muscles get more used to the rigours of long demanding seasons. Just look at our Rhys. Usually by 25 these guys become hardened AFL players.

Cant see how Rhys is a good example. Hope he becomes one but he isnt at the moment.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Maybe we could offer them our 2nd or 3rd pick, if they don't accept it we could then just tamper with the draft by getting him to refuse to speak with any other clubs. Too easy.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

kos wrote:The stkildafc should try and woo Ben Reid from collingwood. It's time to make a statement of our own!...
I agree. And as hard as it would be, we should be prepared to give up three "guns" to get him: Jack Steven, Sam Gilbert and Jarryn Geary. I'm sure Collingwood couldn't refuse.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
kos wrote:The stkildafc should try and woo Ben Reid from collingwood. It's time to make a statement of our own!...
I agree. And as hard as it would be, we should be prepared to give up three "guns" to get him: Jack Steven, Sam Gilbert and Jarryn Geary. I'm sure Collingwood couldn't refuse.

When are you going to give up on Jack. He is a very good player now and will only get better. I am sure you arent Fonzie and you can say you were wrong. I certainly look like I was with Armo.

PJ
SS Life Member

The only way we'd get a player of Reid's calibre is if someone gets traded, e.g. BJ, and I wouldn't like that swap but if he does go you'd at least want that sort of compensation.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I reckon they would want Rhys and a draft pick for Reid, Eddie would remind us that they don't give their good players away, you
have to pay for them he'd say....

And then snigger in his broady lager....

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Maybe we could offer them our 2nd or 3rd pick, if they don't accept it we could then just tamper with the draft by getting him to refuse to speak with any other clubs. Too easy.
Perfectly legal apparently. :shock:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Losing Goddard

Cap Space

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
You really don't rate those three do you?

Buckets
SS Life Member

If he goes anywhere it will be up to Sydney with his brother Sam. Word has been getting stronger that this may be the case.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
citywest

kos wrote:The stkildafc should try and woo Ben Reid from collingwood. It's time to make a statement of our own!

He is out of contract and should be made a priority in our quest to build a premireship contending team.Saints need to target him as Luke ball was targeted as being a missing ingredient to a successful team.

Tough decisions need to be made with certain players to clear room in the salary cap. Make Reid our marquee player!
Although St Kilda has done much much better so far this year than I expected, unfortunately we are not building our next premiership team as you stated above. Our core group of players will all start retiring over the next 4 years, (starting with Lenny maybe even as early as this year unfortunately) and our young players coming through are good but not great. Watters has done a fine job to re-energise our team but in the end it will not result in us being a fair dinkum challenger.

I know people on here don't want to hear this but if we don't go down to the bottom and pick up the best available talent then we will be finishing mid table for a few more years with Watters. And that will be very very frustrating. Again, Watters has done a fantastic job this year but the way the system (draft) works, we are cutting our nose to spite our face. I would much rather crash like the Bulldogs are doing and rebuild.

While your window is open, try to win the premiership. When it closes then don't stay mid table. Crash down to the bottom 4 and get the talent in. Or if you want to use the clock analogy, when you are at 10 o'clock, go for the flag. When you reach 2 o'clock then start rebuilding by crashing down to the bottom. At the end of 2011 we were at 2 o'clock. Watters has done a fine job getting us back to 1:30 but that will not get us a premiership.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

a collingwood question gets a response from citywest !
I wonder why ?

In red white and black from 73
gringo
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
kos wrote:The stkildafc should try and woo Ben Reid from collingwood. It's time to make a statement of our own!

He is out of contract and should be made a priority in our quest to build a premireship contending team.Saints need to target him as Luke ball was targeted as being a missing ingredient to a successful team.

Although St Kilda has done much much better so far this year than I expected, unfortunately we are not building our next premiership team as you stated above. Our core group of players will all start retiring over the next 4 years, (starting with Lenny maybe even as early as this year unfortunately) and our young players coming through are good but not great. Watters has done a fine job to re-energise our team but in the end it will not result in us being a fair dinkum challenger.

I know people on here don't want to hear this but if we don't go down to the bottom and pick up the best available talent then we will be finishing mid table for a few more years with Watters. And that will be very very frustrating. Again, Watters has done a fantastic job this year but the way the system (draft) works, we are cutting our nose to spite our face. I would much rather crash like the Bulldogs are doing and rebuild.

While your window is open, try to win the premiership. When it closes then don't stay mid table. Crash down to the bottom 4 and get the talent in. Or if you want to use the clock analogy, when you are at 10 o'clock, go for the flag. When you reach 2 o'clock then start rebuilding by crashing down to the bottom. At the end of 2011 we were at 2 o'clock. Watters has done a fine job getting us back to 1:30 but that will not get us a premiership.

Staying middle of the table worked for Geelong and Sydney. Reid looks like Menzel to me, just soft tissue that must resemble paper tissues. by the way menzel has a little brother in SA who is a gun but is already running LARS in the knees might be a massive slider. who would roll the dice on him with the risk his genetic legacy may have been to inherit dodgy knees?

Kernal75
Club Player

No hope of getting Reid from Collingwood and I wouldn't be prepared to trade away any draft picks for him. If one of the core groups moves on then we could consider it, but he's likely to want good coin which is the only reason he'll move from the pies. I think Watters understands where the list is at and will move to rectify deficiencies via the draft rather than trade. He's stated before that clubs have to develop their own talent, perhaps that's a pointer to what's to come in the next couple of years.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

No chance in hell of getting him. We would need to break the bank and the salary cap just won't allow us to do that and unfortunately we don't have Visy or Channel 9 to boost the wages of our players unlike certain other teams.
A better option would be to chase Mitch Brown from the Eagles. Big strong key defender had some injury problems but now is behind Schofield, Mackenzie and Glass.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda, too, has registered an interest with Chaplin's management, the Saints also having a significant weakness at full-back, having lost journeyman Zac

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... 22qx6.html

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:St Kilda, too, has registered an interest with Chaplin's management, the Saints also having a significant weakness at full-back, having lost journeyman Zac

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... 22qx6.html

Chaplin would be a little easier on the pocket at least and is a decent player.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:If we got him id be ecstatic. Just turned 23.

Cant see how Rhys is a good example. Hope he becomes one but he isnt at the moment.
rhys is an example of a young tall guy plagued by soft tissue.
no idea if he will become a hardened afl player by 25. just saying in a similar to boat to BR at present and i hope he comes good. but certainly too early to rule them out.
but back on topic.

1. i dont think we have any chance with BR
2. we should definitely chase troy chaplin hard
3. i still dont understand how we let luke ball go to the pies for nothing (no way they would let that happen to them)

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:St Kilda, too, has registered an interest with Chaplin's management...
he's no better than zac but i'd take him. restricted free agent sounds expensive though - i doubt we could afford him.