Watters on the "rat pack"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Watters on the "rat pack"

ozrulestrace wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:I hope that he plays on next year, which I expect him to. He will provide so much experience to our young small fowards and the more games they play with him the better for the saints.

Rubbish he is taking a spot of a guy who isnt good enough anyway and there is no way Milne, Milera and Saad could ever play in the same side. They never have and never will. If you cant win a flag you should get rid of guys like Milne and Hayes and let young kids have a go. We havent seen any young guys this year because those 2 are playing.

I was thinking of a word beyond dribble and it's quite clear P66 "knows nuttin"

Hang on, I can hear the retort from P66 "yah joking aren't yah?"

No Plugger, I've read some dumb ignorant statements over the years from you and this one is right up there.

Our coach recognises the leadership and mentoring Milne is offering to Saad and Millera and it's a valuable teaching tool. It's part of teamwork.

Should I break it to you slowly?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Meh... We'd all like to play forever... What with Hayes... Milne.... heck what's wrong with dragging Max for his leadership??

Reality is at some stage we will reach the tipping point , happens quickly to older players... Look at Judd... last couple weeks ok games... but up till then IMHO he was starting to look slow and suffering the old man injuries. The fall can be quick.

Sure, don't let them all go at once and if they perform then great but at some stage the training wheels have to come off if other youth are to get a go.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Meh... We'd all like to play forever... What with Hayes... Milne.... heck what's wrong with dragging Max for his leadership??

Reality is at some stage we will reach the tipping point , happens quickly to older players... Look at Judd... last couple weeks ok games... but up till then IMHO he was starting to look slow and suffering the old man injuries. The fall can be quick.

Sure, don't let them all go at once and if they perform then great but at some stage the training wheels have to come off if other youth are to get a go.

Thats true and there is still at least 7 weeks to go but if both continue their form and our club manages to make the finals or even win one i would see no reason either Milne or Hayes would be asked to retire. We have guys like Blake, polo and Peake just about certain to go. Do will really need anymore than that to go if their form holds.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Sure, don't let them all go at once and if they perform then great but at some stage the training wheels have to come off if other youth are to get a go.
yeah, i think they'll drop out on their own quickly enough. no point rushing the demise of the older players who are still playing well.

i thought milne was our most dangerous forward on saturday night, by a country mile. saad kicked some good goals but did little else, whereas milne looked dangerous whenever he got near the ball, despite having jed adcock tight on him - a player who i rate. for a lot of the game, with riewoldt not playing particularly well, he was our main inside 50 target. and obviously the week before he was excellent too.

hard to suggest he should retire if he's going to play like this. with a bit of luck he'll kick 50 again this year, for the sixth time in his career and third in a row. yeah, he'll be gone before long, and then we'll miss him a surprising amount.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Maybe we have just kept the 2009 side going until the individuals died. Players almost had to get career ending injuries to get the flick anyway...

Collingwood just keep evolving, and there side looks pretty different from a team that won a premiership two years ago, and they even evolved their coach

We are 8th

How does a side get from 8th to 1st
With the same team???

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Maybe we have just kept the 2009 side going until the individuals died. Players almost had to get career ending injuries to get the flick anyway...

Collingwood just keep evolving, and there side looks pretty different from a team that won a premiership two years ago, and they even evolved their coach

We are 8th

With the same team???

Why do discuss things that have never been mentioned to prove a point. No one on here wants the same side or the 2009 side. Lets use the pies as an example seen you mentioned them. Can you name a probable B&F winner they got rid of the next year or the second leading goalkicker they got rid of the next year. You can go through the last 10 years if you like to tell me some names. That will include good and bad years.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Plugger

I would bet niether are 100% committed to next year or Scott is 100% sure either

A lot to think about fOr players and Coach.... Like Ricky Ponting, it's a big decision

That's the way it is at 32 turning 33 in a side looking to improve

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Maybe we have just kept the 2009 side going until the individuals died. Players almost had to get career ending injuries to get the flick anyway...

We are 8th

With the same team???

Why do discuss things that have never been mentioned to prove a point. No one on here wants the same side or the 2009 side. Lets use the pies as an example seen you mentioned them. Can you name a probable B&F winner they got rid of the next year or the second leading goalkicker they got rid of the next year. You can go through the last 10 years if you like to tell me some names. That will include good and bad years.
Collingwood also passed on Ben Cousins. Amazing they even won a flag given that costly oversight :P

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

That's right, they WON the premiership..... Therefore justifying their decision....

Us on the other hand..... Did not

Let's not forget two things

Different year...2009 they did not win the GF
In 2010
And they got another handy mature age player for nothing from a club dumb enough to let him go there for ZERO

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We are 8th

With the same team???
What same team?

This year Armo has become a rock solid regular.
Saad has become a regular small forward.

Simpkin is battling with Blake for the third tall back....and I would be surprised if they kept Blake on.

Stanley has been impressive. Just ity about his hammys.

Siposs is getting better and better and will soon be a first 22 lock. His body will be bigger in 2012.

Newnes and Dunnell have put their hands up. A bit more muscle and 2012 should see more games from them. Miler will greatly benefit from a another preseason too.

We are in a process of change. But to get better you do not have to dump a lot of players in one year. What you want to see is a progression of new players into the team.

Ideally you want to see players emerging too in areas that we are deficient in. We are seeing this in quicker players, and improved footskills as we lacked both.

We just need to also trade or draft ina mature full back.

POSSIBLE 2012 SAINTS

Newnes New FB Simpkin
Dempster Fisher Goddard
Milera Hayes Dunnell
Schneider Stanley Siposs
Saad Roo Milne

McEvoy Dal Steven

Armo Jones Joey

Gilbert Gram Geary Cripps Gwilt

IMO in 2012 we are looking at a most competitive team.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:That's right, they WON the premiership..... Therefore justifying their decision....

Us on the other hand..... Did not

Let's not forget two things

Different year...2009 they did not win the GF
In 2010
And they got another handy mature age player for nothing from a club dumb enough to let him go there for ZERO

Got any names? Maybe we can expand it from Collingwood to every club. Surely there must be many with such an amount of players. Can you give us names of probable B&F winners who have been told to retire the next year or even a second leading goalkicker. I will give you the last 10 years. Surely there must be at least 6-8 players who have been asked to retire in that time with those credentials.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Fraser Gehrig
Tony Lockett
Brendon Fevola .... Moved on
Barry Hall
Peter Hudson
Bernie Quinlan
Malcolm Blight
Tony Modra
Jason Dunstall
Phillip Matera

I dunno, maybe some more LEADING goal kickers..... Remember, I said, Lenny might DECIDE to retire, or Scott may decide to do a Malcom Blight and retire him... Doubtful on current output...
Milne.... Season as a whole... Has been OK ....statistically down on 2010/2011

Both 33 in 2013

How are their bodies and/or mind feeling??

What direction is the club taking??? Or are we treading water???

Not sure..... But niether are you!!

Last night on Footy Classified it was stated Lenny is thinking of pulling the pin??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Fraser Gehrig
Tony Lockett
Brendon Fevola .... Moved on
Barry Hall
Peter Hudson
Bernie Quinlan
Malcolm Blight
Tony Modra
Jason Dunstall
Phillip Matera

I dunno, maybe some more LEADING goal kickers..... Remember, I said, Lenny might DECIDE to retire, or Scott may decide to do a Malcom Blight and retire him... Doubtful on current output...
Milne.... Season as a whole... Has been OK ....statistically down on 2010/2011

Both 33 in 2013

How are their bodies and/or mind feeling??

What direction is the club taking??? Or are we treading water???

Not sure..... But niether are you!!

Last night on Footy Classified it was stated Lenny is thinking of pulling the pin??

Not sure many of them were told retire. There may have been a couple. And i reckon at least half of them are way over 10 years. Got many B&F winners on the list. I am still pretty sure that Lenny wants to play next year if the club still want him to. Not sure on Milney but there have been rumours he is still keen. Anyway my point is I dont think the club will want either to retire. I still dont get the age thing at all. Plenty of young guys have played this year and at least 2 or 3 older guys will go next year so why push out these 2. Their form is very good. I dont Milne is to far off 2010 form and probably not off last year when he was AA. Lenny is going as well as 2010.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:Only four posts for this thread to revert to the norm... not a record no doubt, but still pretty impressive...

And yes, Pluggs is an expert fisherman, and yes, there will always be plenty of fish to take the bait.

So it's fishing, Sudoku, maths, literature (when he wants), pilot(???), 'mine host' and confidante to several of our new recruits over the years, and I'd add Devil's Advocate to the list as well. Quite impressive... :) :o

Pluggs, is there anything (apart from dropping Grammy) :wink: that you can't do? Hmmmm, here's an immediate test..., Cairnsman raises a major looming issue... do you have the answer as to who'll take over from Milney when the song is sung :?:

Literature. I thought my job was to provide the sarcasm. Pilot. Now that has got me beat.

To answer your question Milney be around next year most of us hope but he will be replaced by Ledger if Ledger can get a good run in the seniors next year. He is out there apparently even though I dont think i have met him. May not have the popularity of Milney but that will hopefully come.
Does he have a strong voice? Has anyone heard him sing at Sandy?

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Ok, so Milney could be Sinatra

Tez or Saady Sammy Davis Jr (and please don't anyone start a racist rant cos of that...)

Schneides could be Dean Martin I guess...

But I'm struggling to see Peter Lawford in our fwd line

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Did Leon Davis leave or get pushed? Didn't win a B&F but was AA last year.

Just adding to the discussion.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

plugger66 wrote: I am still pretty sure that Lenny wants to play next year if the club still want him to. Not sure on Milney but there have been rumours he is still keen. Anyway my point is I dont think the club will want either to retire.
I know that any info Plugger has on what Lenny may be inclined to do is rock solid. Good enough for me.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No one would be sure on what he wants, maybe not even him yet??

Least of all a supporter who posts publicly on fan forums.... I reckon players loathe forums and they'd be a reason a player would not disclose important information to fans

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:No one would be sure on what he wants, maybe not even him yet??

Least of all a supporter who posts publicly on fan forums.... I reckon players loathe forums and they'd be a reason a player would not disclose important information to fans

So true. By the way i never did hear from you regarding why you wanted to know Schneiders tackle count last week. i think you should read the stats a bit more carefully in future.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It would've been obvious to some

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:It would've been obvious to some

What was obvious to me is you were going to have a go at his tackling ability which you have done in the past. You read wrongly that he had no tackles and was trying to make a point. You were then told it was 6 tackles and then kept quite. Your usual method. Havent heard you comment on BC being closer to 31 than 29 when he first played for the Tigers. At least you are consistant. Are you a paine of glass?

andrewg
Club Player

people have come on this forum complaining about people not going to saints games.
take lenny and milne out of the team and expect 5.000 less every week. Even though we are in it to win the grand final only one team wins each year and supporters need a reason to watch their team that may not be chance in any given year.

A key element that Ross forgot and still is yet to understand, AFL footbll is supposed to be entertaining and Lenny and Milne entertain me so they stay

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:people have come on this forum complaining about people not going to saints games.
take lenny and milne out of the team and expect 5.000 less every week. Even though we are in it to win the grand final only one team wins each year and supporters need a reason to watch their team that may not be chance in any given year.

A key element that Ross forgot and still is yet to understand, AFL footbll is supposed to be entertaining and Lenny and Milne entertain me so they stay
Alright..........................they stay but....Raph and Gramm join Peake and Polo - Blake to hang up the boots. That could work

Nah stuff it!!! Milney performs against Carlton and Geelong and Collingwood to help us beat them and win a place in finals or he can join Blake.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Been a Milne fan for a long time.

Every time he has a bad game, people want to delist him.

Will get 600 goals IMO.

smokey for AA again this year if his back half of the season continues and he can sneak that FP role again.

I think his numbers are really making people look at him for the first time...500 goals at 2 goals a game.

Many small forwards have a couple of good seasons, this guy has had a decade of 35 to 50 goals. Some KPP forwards don't churn that out.

Loewe, one of our greats got about 600 goals in 300 games, noting about 150 of them game from 2 years at FF between Plugger and heater.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:Been a Milne fan for a long time.

Every time he has a bad game, people want to delist him.

Will get 600 goals IMO.

smokey for AA again this year if his back half of the season continues and he can sneak that FP role again.

I think his numbers are really making people look at him for the first time...500 goals at 2 goals a game.

Many small forwards have a couple of good seasons, this guy has had a decade of 35 to 50 goals. Some KPP forwards don't churn that out.

Loewe, one of our greats got about 600 goals in 300 games, noting about 150 of them game from 2 years at FF between Plugger and heater.
I think Lewis the Jet has him covered right at the moment unfortunatly. He has been very good in the past few weeks though. Hope he has a good finish to the year.