4 weeks for Judd....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: 4 weeks for Judd....

Johnny Member wrote:That's like saying because you don't rate Ross Lyon that you obviously love GT and want him back.

Why must it be either the old system, or this one? Why not one that actually makes sense instead?

And yeah, I'd far prefer the old system to this one.

What benefit has there been, aside from less players fronting the tribunal? And why is that even a benefit?
Less players at the tribunal saves a shyteload in legal fees. Top legal people can easily cost $500 per hour. That's a start.

Secondly, the MRP means a penalty is done and dusted on Monday night, so the clubs can move on if they accept the charge.

I don't mind the current system, just wish they could be more consistent.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

matrix
Saintsational Legend

what the other thread wasnt good enough to discuss this???

had to start a new one in your own name???

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
8856brother wrote:
dragit wrote:There's already a 10 page thread about this.
So :roll:
So do we need another thread about an opposition player?
Those rolling eyes really suit you, cute.
Probably not, but who cares. And thank you, you are most kind. If I could find a blushing Smiley I would insert it here.

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Johnny - re Zeibel vs Judd - Zeibel was given 4 weeks down to 3 with an early plea - he lost at the tribunal with no downgrades in the criteria so quite rightly got 4 weeks.

Judd was bloody lucky not to have been charged by the MRP. The MRP HAVE to use his 30% loading, so it is not unreasonable to assume he could've got 5 weeks reduced to 4 with an early plea. Then had Judd taken it to the tribunal, and like Zeibel lost and not had any downgrades, he would've copped 5 weeks.

What annoys me is that a case that is sent directly to the tribunal can ignore the loadings and just make up a number of weeks suspension. Now THAT is seriously wrong and inconsistent.

And that is basically a return to the old system.

Not all plugger. All I am saying is that why can't cases sent directly to the tribunal use loadings?

Let's face it - it's very rare a case is sent directly to the tribunal. Normally it's because it's very high on the MRP points scale. Judd case was different.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Johnny - re Zeibel vs Judd - Zeibel was given 4 weeks down to 3 with an early plea - he lost at the tribunal with no downgrades in the criteria so quite rightly got 4 weeks.

Judd was bloody lucky not to have been charged by the MRP. The MRP HAVE to use his 30% loading, so it is not unreasonable to assume he could've got 5 weeks reduced to 4 with an early plea. Then had Judd taken it to the tribunal, and like Zeibel lost and not had any downgrades, he would've copped 5 weeks.

What annoys me is that a case that is sent directly to the tribunal can ignore the loadings and just make up a number of weeks suspension. Now THAT is seriously wrong and inconsistent.

And that is basically a return to the old system.

Not all plugger. All I am saying is that why can't cases sent directly to the tribunal use loadings?

Let's face it - it's very rare a case is sent directly to the tribunal. Normally it's because it's very high on the MRP points scale. Judd case was different.

They can if the tribunal want them to. It is up to their discretion.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

True, but the MRP penalties can't use that discretion can they?!

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

So here is a case that was soooo serious in nature that it was referred directly to the tribunal BUT not serious enough to incur a loading penalty

I thought the whole idea of loading was to deter players from continually re-offending

Obviously Judd re-offending is ok

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:So here is a case that was soooo serious in nature that it was referred directly to the tribunal BUT not serious enough to incur a loading penalty

I thought the whole idea of loading was to deter players from continually re-offending

It was referred because it was rated as misconduct and that doesnt come under the points system.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Stick the system where the sun dont shine,it dont work

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

We should have drafted Ben Cousins :twisted:

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:So here is a case that was soooo serious in nature that it was referred directly to the tribunal BUT not serious enough to incur a loading penalty

It was referred because it was rated as misconduct and that doesnt come under the points system.
That's convenient!!

So I would assume then that given this charge does not come under the points system then Mr Judd should not incur any extra loading (added to his existing 30% loading) if he commits any further offences down the line.

Surely that's only fair given it does not come under the points system??

bergsone
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:We should have drafted Ben Cousins :twisted:

We would all be flying high then 8-) 8-) 8-) :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

That's convenient!!

So I would assume then that given this charge does not come under the points system then Mr Judd should not incur any extra loading (added to his existing 30% loading) if he commits any further offences down the line.

Surely that's only fair given it does not come under the points system??

I doubt that very much. hall got loading when he went. So what dont you like about the tribunal part of the system? It is totally independent and they decided not to use the loading.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:It is totally independent and they decided not to use the loading.
Why have loading then if it is not going to be used - surely if the offence is so serious then any adding any left over activation points to the original sentence should be mandatory??

stkildajason3votes
Club Player

not just on this occurance, considering all the events - chris judd = dirty dog
j

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:It is totally independent and they decided not to use the loading.
Why have loading then if it is not going to be used - surely if the offence is so serious then any adding any left over activation points to the original sentence should be mandatory??

Because the independant body decided 4 weeks was the right decision.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Maybe Ziebell called the Panel Chairman fat?
If Dunstall or Jarman were on the panel, ZIebell would've got off, and received a Brownlow vote (one of Gouger Judd's freebies perhaps) for telling the truth...

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I can't believe this appalling 'system' acknowledges loading and good records for 5 week offences, but doesn't for 4 week offences!

It's so simple. Just use precedence. Simple.

The only reason the AFL won't use precedence, is because it removes the ability for them to make examples of certain players, and let other players get off when it suits them.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I can't believe this appalling 'system' acknowledges loading and good records for 5 week offences, but doesn't for 4 week offences!

It's so simple. Just use precedence. Simple.

The only reason the AFL won't use precedence, is because it removes the ability for them to make examples of certain players, and let other players get off when it suits them.

One was the MVP and the other was a case sent directly to the tribunal. They are completely different so has does precedence work. The AFL wanted Judd to get the loading but an independant panel said no. people whinge that it isnt independant now they whinge because the panel didnt do what the AFL wanted.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

If there is precedent, and this nonsense about points and loading get the arse, then this current scenario never happens.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:If there is precedent, and this nonsense about points and loading get the arse, then this current scenario never happens.

So are you saying repeat offenders shouldnt get penalised more?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

No, it's ridiculous.

And there's absolutely nothing to suggest that it's a deterrent either.

Each situation should be in isolation in terms of who did it, and simply compared to other incidents of the same nature.

It's unbelievably simple.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I mean, how could anyone of sane mind, give Ziebel the same penalty as Judd, and both of them a lesser penalty than Wellingham if they were basing their decisions in precedent?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I mean, how could anyone of sane mind, give Ziebel the same penalty as Judd, and both of them a lesser penalty than Wellingham if they were basing their decisions in precedent?
yeah, i don't really understand why they're so set against precedent. maybe because it assumes that it's possible to find the similarity between two situations, whereas in practice each situation is subtly different? no real idea though. it would seem to make it easier.