"The Goose, The Goose, The Goose is on Fire!"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: "The Goose, The Goose, The Goose is on Fire!"

Wow and heres me thing x left to go to a warmer climate for one last attempt at getting his body right.
And ball left despite getting a 3 year contract.
Goose did not and still would not have a spot with us, but good luck to him all the same.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:That argument has been done to death, as far as influencing kids, I believe people are responsible for there own actions.... Maybe he would have smacked Jack in the mouth in NZ.

More like introduced Jack's mouth to smack.

Nice. A teacher thinks that kids aren't impressionable to people in a position of power and influence.

Would have been great to have a junkie at the club.

No co-incidence Kerr, Embley and Chick were all linked to drugs while Cousins was rampantly on the gear at WCE.

Seems like the WCE have cleaned up their act after getting rid of the Cousins posion.

Tigers still recovering from his negative effects. Seems to have held back their young players. Any team with the talent they have gleaned from being s.hit for decades would be challenging for a flag by now.

They cant even beat GC and get into the eight.

What a mentor junkie boy was for those Tigers hey??? Fact is, they have gone nowhere since his selection. He was more a hinderance than a help obviously.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think stk players thought he was still a team mate, we kicked it to him 12 times uncontested...

He played very well indeed, good on him..... Least we had will Johnson. Astute.
:D :twisted: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:Wow and heres me thing x left to go to a warmer climate for one last attempt at getting his body right.
Goose did not and still would not have a spot with us, but good luck to him all the same.
"cause we have all those other fullbacks?????

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
maverick wrote:Wow and heres me thing x left to go to a warmer climate for one last attempt at getting his body right.
"cause we have all those other fullbacks?????

Have you thought before posting? How many do you want? We had Zac or should we have kept him in hindsight. I will answer my first question withoutt hindsight. No.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

I watch Lions play regularly, and Goose has played consistent football this season.

He still gets caught out for pace often, and with a slippery Sat night probably played in his favour a bit.

Saints didnt do the wrong thing getting rid of him. Wouldnt get a game ahead of Simpkin, Chips or Gilbert, and wasnt prefered to Zac while they were both there.

HelenR
Club Player

Matt Maguire was, is and will be a better player than Zac ever will be. If Matt had never broken his leg what a different story his AFL career would have been. Zac probably would never have been at St Kilda and really what did he do that was so great when he was there? Love the Goose. Hated that he was delisted.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

HelenR wrote:Matt Maguire has been, is and will be a better player than Zac ever will be. If Matt had never broken his leg what a different story his AFL career would have been. Zac probably would never have been at St Kilda and really what did he do that was so great when he was there? Love the Goose. Hated that he was delisted.

Goose did break his leg though and there was no doubt Zac was the better player when they were both at the club. Goose was struggling at Sandy and as nice as a guy he seems to be the club did the right thing by Goose by letting him go because he wasnt any hope, baring a lot of injuries, in getting a game at the Saints.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Just imagine the possibilities if we'd never let anyone go and taken all the damaged goods…

B Baker Dawson J Smith
HB X Clarke McGuire Guerra
C McQualter Ball A Smith
HF Gamble Walsh Lynch
FF Johnson Cahill Heyne

Fol Pattinson Eddy Magner

Int Cousins, Lovett & Fev (parole/rehab pending on all 3)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Just imagine the possibilities if we'd never let anyone go and taken all the damaged goods…

B Baker Dawson J Smith
C McQualter Ball A Smith
HF Gamble Walsh Lynch
FF Johnson Cahill Heyne

"Hey dragit, that team ain't gonna coach itself!"

dragit
Saintsational Legend

True… and the academy ain't going to develop itself either

stevie
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Just imagine the possibilities if we'd never let anyone go and taken all the damaged goods…

B Baker Dawson J Smith
C McQualter Ball A Smith
HF Gamble Walsh Lynch
FF Johnson Cahill Heyne

Pure gold...but you left out Charlie Gardiner as the sub

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

SR

Didnt we pick up one injury riddled 25yo player??

One questionable 27yo character???

One mature age recruit from Sandringham???

What was the difference....

Lovett 0 games........ B.Cousins 32 games
J.Smith 0 games...... X.Clarke 1game
Johnson 1 game..... Maguire 41+ games

And be truthful Big Red... Did I say these things in Hindsight... C'mon give me some credit, you were one of the ones busting my chops at the time, scoffing at any mistakes....

A.Pattison and D.Polo FFS

Now you can't predict the future, and every club has the right to make wrong calls, it's not a perfect science, and NO club has a perfect record. But there is calculation of risk, list balance and a lot of research...

2008-09 recruiting years were horrendous... Anyone who argues that is not dealing in reality. Even the club has acknowledged that. Mistakes were made.
What I cannot understand is supporters who are not willing to accept it, and using every ridiculous argument under the sun to make their point.... If it helps them sleep, OK.

Salary Cap.. Really??
We wrote 1M to a player who played 0 games
X went to Brisbane on Base, as did Goose
Ball has just cost Collingwood about 1.2M over three.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What I cannot understand is supporters who are not willing to accept it, and using every ridiculous argument under the sun to make their point.... If it helps them sleep, OK.

Gold - oh the dripping irony.

tell me BM, how has the Cousins mentored young Tigers shaped up since he went there?

Reach the finals? Are they currently in the eight?

Looks like his druggie influence has rubbed off on the Tigers and has set them back seasons.

And you wanted that to happen at St.Kilda? WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

No how have WCE Eagles gone since he left? All the drug scandals behind them. Top four last season. PF.

Going great guns this season.

Yup a truly great mentor :roll:

A complete past it junkie while at Richmond. A hack and a joke.

And you knew beforehand that Lovett would play no games for the Saints? - lol

And you knew Goose would recover from his terrible leg injury for 40 ineffectual games in an easybeat Brisbane team? - lol.

geez man, you are sensational. You said all this would happen? lolololololololololololol

Have you been on Cousins gear?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes JB

He's RESPONSIBLE for all of the current issues there ATM.... Although its been a while a few years since he left.....

How's the form of Cotchin, DelEdio, Tuck been this year??? I tell you something, the Tigers will be OK over the next few years.....the only problem child they had.... Ben smacked in the mouth

The Eagles finished last after he left.... After winning a premiership whilst he was there..... With the draft successes and development they have.... Charlie Shhen could be playing CHF and they still be good

And give goose some credit.... As you said, he battled a serious leg break to return for 39 ineffectual games... I disagree with you on the 40th... He seemed to go alright to me, and the dead beat team are a couple of wins behind us... And ran us to two goals with 8 players under 20 games

Who was RESPONSIBLE at StK for the boys copping a combined total of 18 weeks in NZ???

Was Ben responsible??

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

BTW

How many premierships have we won.... Not many for a club that never made a bad call??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:BTW

How many premierships have we won.... Not many for a club that never made a bad call??

Made plenty as 95% of your posts tell us. As I have said if only they had a hindsighter on the recruiting team. It would limit our mistakes.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:How's the form of Cotchin, DelEdio, Tuck been this year??? I tell you something, the Tigers will be OK over the next few years.....the only problem child they had.... Ben smacked in the mouth
So now you advocate violence as well as illegal drug taking?? Tigers OK over the next few years hey? Maybe, However doesn't detract from the fact that WCE took years and now Richmond both were left worse off after Cousins had visited his particular brand of mentoring
BigMart wrote:Who was RESPONSIBLE at StK for the boys copping a combined total of 18 weeks in NZ???

Was Ben responsible??
If the violent junkie was there they would have copped 40 weeks. Some booze and a couple of prescription pills compared to ICE ICE baby junkie Cousins.

Really, you have a warped view on things.

Lance or James??

MrCordz
Club Player

Goose was as always very good defensively and really troubled us but his disposal by foot is the same as it always was - tries to kick it as far as he can to no one in particular and as a result turned it over regularly.

Humbly St. Kilda
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What benefits came of it??? What were the gains

They were outstanding characters at stk, why was it good to show them the door.....
More a mistake was the recruiting 2008/09,..... The worst recruiting performance

We have no key back, and Goose is one

X.Clarke was injured again, happens, a knee... Happened to Hayes last season

Will Johnson is an average footballer and cannot hold a candle to Maguire, Jesse Smith can barely walk now from an injury pre selection to stk...X.Clarke is playing footy again.

What was the benefit of Axing either, besides opening list room up... To bring in untrieds
So says he who wanted to bring in Ben Cousins...

Logical thought processes not your strong suit...

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Tom Cruise has gone to s*** since Goose left.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Goose died....

Joffa boy....please explain how Richmond were worse off after Ben left

Ladder
Memberships
Sponsors
Finances
Win/loss

What is your definition of worse

He came in when they were near last and just sacked a coach, they were in a precarious financial position and had a bleak outlook

Now, the are financially viable, have 50 000 members, half a dozen young stars and only a couple of talls from a good team....and a very good outlook, with what I consider a great coach

Ben left the Eagles just after they just played in two Grand Finals.....the loss of Judd and Cousins....big injuries to Kerr, Embley, Glass, Cox amongst others... Saw them slide....which is what helped them reload.... Because in a very similar circumstance to StK 1999-2002 they were able to recruit guns, and then get stars back from injury

I still don't see how BC hindered the development of young mids??
He was a champion, surely you don't dispute that
His training was legendary, as was his gut-running
He knew how to play the game, and how to communicate

He was on the wane at Richmond comparitively to 2001-2005 when he was in the best handful of players running around, but his 220 games experience, big match experience, knowledge, poise with the footy, decision making and preparation would have been enormous....
I simply cannot see how you could possibly argue that

Who was worse at their respective clubs?
Cousins at Richmond
Or
Lovett at StK

What is worse??
A man who disrespects himself
A man who disrespects women

Lastly
How many positive returns at Richmond again??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dont think anyone is sticking up for Lovett.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

But the character reasons that is used as an argument contradicts the recruitment of Lovett

I am confused by the philosophy

Either recruit both....
Or
Recruit niether

If character is the argument.... You can't say the club was Right on Both occasions...(especially given evidence in hindsight). It was either wrong on one or both occasions

Ability argument
One of those players could not hold a candle to the other....

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Is it me or is it rather ironic to moan about not recruiting a 30 almost 31 year old when retiring off two club legends?