Jason dunstall

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jason dunstall

It's not peculiar to St Kilda, P66. The bias thing happens in every game. Listen top Bruce cover Essendon or Hawthorn...sickening...

I just want a game call...

I don't want a barracking call...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
bozza1980
Club Player

I was at the game last night, so I didn't hear last night's call but I dislike Dwaye Russell's commentary, him and Brian Taylor s*&t me no end.

No doubt my biased view of things plays a part in my view that commentators are biased against us but I do honestly believe Dwayne Russell dislikes us.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

tglennisback wrote:Why the hell does everyone seem to get so distracted and vindictive about commentators?
because they are mainly see you next tuesdays ...when it comes to barracking for any team playing the saints....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

He is from QLD/BRIS Vegas so maybe cut him a bit of slack for that i reckon.

linz
Club Player

saintwalsh wrote:I honestly think if you all have such problems with the commentators you should turn the volume or maybe even put it on mute and concentrate watching the game unfold on your tv. The commentators can be very poor but if it effects you that much please learn where your mute button is on your tv control.
That's exactly what i did.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Austinnn
Club Player

Listened to ABC radio in the background while I was occupied, then switched to the Live broadcast for the last 5 mins when I got a free moment. ABC was STACKS more exciting than the TV comm, which sounded like the two old guys in the Muppet Show. Dunno who that old guy on ABC is, but his calls rule.

As far as commentator bias goes, I think St Kilda gets its share of praise, but at times I suspect that a few of those yesterdays men who call the game still have the same regard for the Saints that they had in their playing days, similar to the respect most of us have for Freo or the Bulldogs now. Until we actually win a premiership more than once (i.e. something that can't be dismissed as a fluke), that won't change.

You just have to remember that they are stuck in the past, the glory days when they were something a lot more than an overpaid potato with a blazer and a microphone. That should be a disclaimer running as a news ribbon at the bottom of the screen the whole time during their commentary, something like this:

...Dwayne Russell still believes that The Rolling Stones are a good rock and roll band... Brian Taylor has to be talked out of getting a 'mullet' haircut every time he goes to the hairdresser, and they are working on the moustache... Jason Dunstall lists The Comedy Company as his favourite comedy show... Tony Shaw wants to know what the internet is and can he buy one at Myer...

etc

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Beekay
SS Life Member

Austinnn wrote:
...Dwayne Russell still believes that The Rolling Stones are a good rock and roll band... Brian Taylor has to be talked out of getting a 'mullet' haircut every time he goes to the hairdresser, and they are working on the moustache... Jason Dunstall lists The Comedy Company as his favourite comedy show... Tony Shaw wants to know what the internet is and can he buy one at Myer...

etc
Very funny.

But... these guys still have their moments

In fact, their worst period was probably those guys heyday: the 80s!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:The comms are appallingly bad ATM IMO.
yup, agreed. it's not real hard to commentate on a game of footy, that's why these deadshits can do it. learn the players' numbers and names, then watch the game and tell everyone who's got the ball and who's near them.

don't:

- umpire the game
- barrack for one side over the other
- put in useless crap that no-one cares about ("he's from Lorne!")
- have blokey chat amongst yourselves and ignore the action
- start telling us who you think is going to win

and don't have the commentary team filled with player managers. olarenshaw, pickering, etc. wtf? conflict of interest much?

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I would love to see one of the truly great world sport commentators - Martin Tyler - do an AFL game. He could do some research into the game, it's history and traditions and it would be cool to hear his thoughts and stuff.

I have the volume down low on all games now, espesh at night when the family is asleep. I thought DERwayne wasn't to bad the other night. He actually called Milney a superstar when he jagged his first. Shaw is woeful and so out of touch with the modern game. Piggy is ok I guess. The ABC radio are the best to listen too ( except the flog Maclure when we are playing). The NIRS guys are good too though they get a bit loud sometimes

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:I would love to see one of the truly great world sport commentators - Martin Tyler - do an AFL game. He could do some research into the game, it's history and traditions and it would be cool to hear his thoughts and stuff.

I have the volume down low on all games now, espesh at night when the family is asleep. I thought DERwayne wasn't to bad the other night. He actually called Milney a superstar when he jagged his first. Shaw is woeful and so out of touch with the modern game. Piggy is ok I guess. The ABC radio are the best to listen too ( except the flog Maclure when we are playing). The NIRS guys are good too though they get a bit loud sometimes

Sorry but you cant call footy like soccer. They just say names and that is it. There is so much more action in footy.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Dunstall & Pickering were good, Shaw is surely related to the Clokes & DerrWayne is a product of Port Adelaide.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I was watching with a Carlton supporter and an Essendon supporter, and both were laughing at how bias the commentary was.

They both said they felt like they were sitting in front of a couple of Lions supporters at the game.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I don't even know why they need to 'call' the game at all.

Unless you're blind and/or a moron, you can see who has the ball, what they have done with it or what they are about to do with it.

The score is also on the screen, so reminding me of it every 5 minutes isn't necessary.

They should simply have 3 or 4 people who have a clue, and let them talk about the game. Let them barrack and be bias, but make sure there's a rep from each side of the fence to make it bearable.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
saintwalsh wrote:I honestly think if you all have such problems with the commentators you should turn the volume or maybe even put it on mute and concentrate watching the game unfold on your tv. The commentators can be very poor but if it effects you that much please learn where your mute button is on your tv control.
Once upon a time you had the option to watch the game with only stadium background or umpires only. Does that still apply to Foxtel?
yup remember that
changing the camera angles etc, id flick to the stadium view and get a much wider angle

from memory you used to press the red button so it would go 'live and interactive' ooooooh

i dont think you can do that anymore
well, i dont see them advertising it anyway...and tbh i havent tried this season