Jack Steven suspended for failing breath test

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Steven suspended for failing breath test

plugger66 wrote:Why does everyone think he went out on the piss and had 12 drinks of beer at least. The guy stuffed up but could easily had a couple of bottles of wine at home with his girl friend. Wine is a huge trap. And probably not starting until after midnight meant he was probably still drinking until around 3am. This isnt an excuse but it shows how the grog does stay in your system for a long while. My guess is he woke up and it didnt even cross him mind that he would be .05 until he saw the booze bus and the butterfly's crept in.
Anyone who mentioned 12, like me, only said standard drinks... not what, or where they were consumed. Who cares where, or what type of drink, or with whom?

For mine the actual charge is secondary, the law will sort that out.

And yes it's a trap when you wake up the next day and feel a little shabby but ok to drive. Not the issue.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:
saint75 wrote:Seems to be a lot of assumptions on here. Who was to say he went out for a wild night of partying after a game? They may have gone to a team mates place to have a few drinks to unwind. Being 0.08 is hardly roll down drunk.

Was he wrong? Of course he bloomin' was. No doubt. He showed how immature and naive he is. Thank goodness no one was hurt. However, it brings back not too distant memories of a time when I myself was in a similar situation. I was pulled up the morning after having consumed a few beverages the night before. I had no idea that I may have been close to the limit. Luckily, I scraped in at 0.03. Didn't feel the slightest bit hung over or drunk and had not consumed that much the night before and had not had a night of wild partying. Just a few drinks with some close friends over dinner. Was I wrong? Hell yes. I can tell you for a fact that I NEVER made that mistake again.

Those on their moral high horses should step down. We can all make stupid mistakes. Thankfully, no one was hurt and he will learn from this.

0.08 is about 1 drink over in normal circumstances. But if you do the acceptable maths you will see that Jack had more than a couple of quiet beers. You need to calculate at about 0.01 per hour between the time he stopped drinking and the time he got tested. If he was 0.08 at say 10am and he stopped drinking around 3am his BAC when he stopped drinking would have been somewhere between 0.14-0.16. That, for a professional athlete with above average muscle mass would equate to somewhere between 12-16 standard drinks !!
We are all making a lot of assumptions about how many drinks it takes to put him over. As all of the 0.05 campaigns state, it will vary depending on build, weight, etc. You venture into dangerous territory to assume his exact intake. Best to leave the assumptions out of the equation. None of us were sitting with him when he was having his drinks so we do not know if he was out partying or if he had 5 or 50 drinks. Standard drinks will vary also. I personally fill my wine glass to the absolute brim and like my scotch and coke in a pot which will also vary the statistics quoted throughout this thread.

It has been dealt with and it is time to move on. We can all agree he was naive and immature with his decision to drive and move on.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Why does everyone think he went out on the piss and had 12 drinks of beer at least. The guy stuffed up but could easily had a couple of bottles of wine at home with his girl friend. Wine is a huge trap. And probably not starting until after midnight meant he was probably still drinking until around 3am. This isnt an excuse but it shows how the grog does stay in your system for a long while. My guess is he woke up and it didnt even cross him mind that he would be .05 until he saw the booze bus and the butterfly's crept in.
Anyone who mentioned 12, like me, only said standard drinks... not what, or where they were consumed. Who cares where, or what type of drink, or with whom?

And yes it's a trap when you wake up the next day and feel a little shabby but ok to drive. Not the issue.

Most players these days dont go out a lot. Matter of fact on 6 day breaks they arent allowed to drink in public and probably not really at home but a few would still do it. Jack has always had a few drinks after a game. I think its the only way he can sleep. It isnt an excuse. He should have had just one bottle of red if that is what he had.

I suppose the question is would he be a better player if he didnt drink. Who would know. It seems obvious the answer would be yes but it may not be that simple. A couple of year a go a certain star Saints player decided that he wouldnt touch grog for the whole footy season. it was driving him mad even though he isnt a big drinker at all. RL told him after about 5 weeks to go out and have few drinks and relax. That player said it was the best thing that could have happened. I am sure there are many examples where players have improved not drinking but there may be some where it hasnt helped at all. Anyway Jack was dumb and has been dumb in the past. Hopefully he learns from it.

markp
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:Standard drinks will vary also.
No they wont.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

SMS wrote:You can beat the team who wins flags arent out drinkin at 3am!!
Name your price... I'll take that bet...

Sobraz
SS Life Member

saint75 wrote:Seems to be a lot of assumptions on here. Who was to say he went out for a wild night of partying after a game? They may have gone to a team mates place to have a few drinks to unwind. Being 0.08 is hardly roll down drunk.

Was he wrong? Of course he bloomin' was. No doubt. He showed how immature and naive he is. Thank goodness no one was hurt. However, it brings back not too distant memories of a time when I myself was in a similar situation. I was pulled up the morning after having consumed a few beverages the night before. I had no idea that I may have been close to the limit. Luckily, I scraped in at 0.03. Didn't feel the slightest bit hung over or drunk and had not consumed that much the night before and had not had a night of wild partying. Just a few drinks with some close friends over dinner. Was I wrong? Hell yes. I can tell you for a fact that I NEVER made that mistake again.

Those on their moral high horses should step down. We can all make stupid mistakes. Thankfully, no one was hurt and he will learn from this.
You weren't wrong...

They'll get you for thoughtcrime next..

markp
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:

Most players these days dont go out a lot. Matter of fact on 6 day breaks they arent allowed to drink in public and probably not really at home but a few would still do it. Jack has always had a few drinks after a game. I think its the only way he can sleep. It isnt an excuse. He should have had just one bottle of red if that is what he had.

I suppose the question is would he be a better player if he didnt drink. Who would know. It seems obvious the answer would be yes but it may not be that simple. A couple of year a go a certain star Saints player decided that he wouldnt touch grog for the whole footy season. it was driving him mad even though he isnt a big drinker at all. RL told him after about 5 weeks to go out and have few drinks and relax. That player said it was the best thing that could have happened. I am sure there are many examples where players have improved not drinking but there may be some where it hasnt helped at all. Anyway Jack was dumb and has been dumb in the past. Hopefully he learns from it.
Sounds like you are making excuses.

It's either acceptable behaviour (for an elite athlete at an absolutely crucial point of the season) or it's not.

And if Jack needs drink to sleep then that is a worry.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

[quote="Thinline"][quote="defacto"]After reading all this. No wonder our club has a problem with being a professional.[/quote]

So our lab rats should be tee totalling lab rats simply because that's what you require.[/quote]
its disappointing after a great win, for Steven to add to the impression that StKilda is still the parrty club
However, I thought it somewhat ironic that thinlines' footer should talk about gaining those extra "inches" but thinks being "affected' for a recovery session ok :idea:

Seeya
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:

Sounds like you are making excuses.

It's either acceptable behaviour (for an elite athlete at an absolutely crucial point of the season) or it's not.

And if Jack needs drink to sleep then that is a worry.

Well he isnt allowed sleeping tablets. I would think a lot of players need either sleeping tablets or a drink to sleep after a night game. Yes i am making excuses for him drinking but he is bloody idiot to drink and drive. Anyway I come from a poor position. Got picked up for the first time in 32 years 2 weeks ago and was .069. I had no excuse apart from being a f****** idiot.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:...Got picked up for the first time in 32 years 2 weeks ago and was .069. I had no excuse apart from being a f****** idiot.
Geeez, how lucky was that, .069 is just a tick under .07, which would have been 6 months without a licence. As an estimate, how many times would a similar type person have been over .05 in 32 years and not got caught? Also, for my info, just how many bottles of bubbly would you need to drink to get to .069?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
plugger66 wrote:...Got picked up for the first time in 32 years 2 weeks ago and was .069. I had no excuse apart from being a f****** idiot.
Geeez, how lucky was that, .069 is just a tick under .07, which would have been 6 months without a licence. As an estimate, how many times would a similar type person have been over .05 in 32 years and not got caught? Also, for my info, just how many bottles of bubbly would you need to drink to get to .069?

I only drink beer. I had about 8 cans after the footy and got a lift to the boundary hotel. Had a schooner there and then like some f****** idiot said i would drive because the person I met there drove and is on zero. Got followed out of the pub. Was very good about it so it seemed the coppers took there time in breath testing me at the station. it took an hour once I got there which seems slow to me. Dropped a few names I new from Moorabbin police station and fluked .069. 10 demerit point and a $366 fine. I am officially a bloody idiot and probably have been for 32 years. i hope i have learned my lesson. I will only know that in the future.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
perfectionist wrote:

I only drink beer. I had about 8 cans after the footy and got a lift to the boundary hotel. Had a schooner there and then like some f****** idiot said i would drive because the person I met there drove and is on zero. Got followed out of the pub. Was very good about it so it seemed the coppers took there time in breath testing me at the station. it took an hour once I got there which seems slow to me. Dropped a few names I new from Moorabbin police station and fluked .069. 10 demerit point and a $366 fine. I am officially a bloody idiot and probably have been for 32 years. i hope i have learned my lesson. I will only know that in the future.
The police love the boundary . I finish work late and i always travel down east boundary rd usually between 9.30 and 10.30 , Over the years i've spotted countless un marked police cars as well as marked ones just waiting for someone to leave the car park at the boundary .
Its their favourite local trap , when not much is happening !

In red white and black from 73
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

You can see p66 on the website homepage. surrounded by ladies!
http://www.boundaryhotel.com.au/

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

God this is funny. StK players can do NO wrong can they??

He got wasted, had a sleep and drove whilst still effected, simple as that. Dehydrated, with the amount of fluid they take in after/during games, they even get weighed after games.

It's not like when club players share a slab in the rooms after the game still in their jumper!

But please, go on making excuses... Makes it all better.

Just imagine if Ben Cousins recorded a reading??
Spinner would be all over it...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:God this is funny. StK players can do NO wrong can they??

He got wasted, had a sleep and drove whilst still effected, simple as that. Dehydrated, with the amount of fluid they take in after/during games, they even get weighed after games.

It's not like when club players share a slab in the rooms after the game still in their jumper!

Maybe Ben would record a reading if he didn't keep running away from the booze bus :P
Last edited by Dr Spaceman on Mon 09 Jul 2012 4:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

No. It's a question of people not behaving like grandstanding moralistic lemmings whenever anyone in gets in strife.

They're not robots. They make mistakes. They serve their penance. Get on with it.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
markp
Saintsational Legend

Ben would be too smart to hang around and record a reading.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Not going to wade through the posts supporting Jack and saying he was unlucky, needed to unwind, nothing wrong with a couple of drinks etc.etc.etc.

The fact is that he turned up to a recovery session pissed according to the legal definition.

He's copped it sweet, as he should.

Deserves it.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:

No. It's a question of people not behaving like grandstanding moralistic lemmings whenever anyone in gets in strife.

They're not robots. They make mistakes. They serve their penance. Get on with it.

And I think most people have said he is a bloody idiot anyway. There havent been to many saying who cares or anything like that.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

markp wrote:
saint75 wrote:Standard drinks will vary also.
No they wont.
Correction just for you:

"What people THINK is a standard drink as to what is actually classed as a standard drink will vary."

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
The trouble is not that players have sex the night before a game. It's that they stay out all night looking for it.
- Casey Stengal
For some of us who lived here in Melbourne and hung out 'til 6am at the Tunnel or down at the Underground...You'd always see heaps of footballers there and man that is exactly what happened

I've got the solution Con....Pay the kid more money :wink: :wink:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He is an elite athlete that is living a life that many would love.... He deserves it, due to his talent and hard work.

But talent alone is worthless, it must be disciplined..... Is Jack disciplined??

But it's something he cannot take for granted, having the privilege of wearing a jumper, representing 35 000 members and 100 years of history.... He gets paid handsomely and with that comes great responsibility to conduct himself like a professional sportsman.... He gets educated to the hilt on this
He has fallen short for a second time.....

Does he want to be Stevie Johnson or Cayden Beetham

TJMcCarthy
Club Player

Maybe some disgruntled bummer fanatical police sargent organised a breathalyzing sting operation targeting St.kilda footballers early sunday morning!!! :wink: !

Don't call me paranoid, i'm just having a laugh. :lol: I think the boy from Lorne deserves the benefit of any doubt. After all -he's a Saint is'nt he?

Strength Through Unity - CAR'N THE SAINTS!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think the club has handled it quite well.

He's copped his whack and that is that.

No excuses with this stuff.

Absolutely socially unacceptable.

Don't even bother saying otherwise.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: Does he want to be Stevie Johnson or Cayden Beetham

That is all.

Stay tuned.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post