Jack Steven suspended for failing breath test

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Steven suspended for failing breath test

defacto wrote:After reading all this. No wonder our club has a problem with being a professional.
So our lab rats should be tee totalling lab rats simply because that's what you require.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
defacto
Club Player

Mrs_Seaford_Saint wrote:Sadly I think most of us have driven the next day thinking we "were" ok but not so I don't think we can throw stones at that - BUT being 0.08 the next day means he was fairly smashed the night before which I would have thought would be a big no-no especially after a game where he was probably dehydrated and hadn't eaten enough
Some common sense

defacto
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
defacto wrote:After reading all this. No wonder our club has a problem with being a professional.
So our lab rats should be tee totalling lab rats simply because that's what you require.
Let me be clear. I have no problem with players getting on the piss. What I have a problem with is them doing it straight after a game they played in, when they should be in recovery.

When I say get on the piss I mean in excess, which is what Steven did. It wouldn't have been a problem if he had 1 quiet drink before he went to bed.

georgie girl
Club Player

markp wrote:He's supposed to be an elite athlete.

Can't see how getting heavily (for him to be .08 at 10am he was giving it a serious nudge the night before) on the p1ss mid-season is ideal or remotely acceptable when he has (had) a massive game to recover and prepare for.

If he wants to live like every other 22 year old then he can, elsewhere or in another profession.

I'm a bit bemused by the apologists.
Well said! If they want to be treated as elite athletes and paid like them, then not drinking to excess during the season goes with the territory. I wonder how many of his team mates who perhaps make that sacrifice during the season to be the best that they can be each game day, feel about his choices??

Not what we need at this stage of the season when our fortunes are so precariously balanced. Let's hope he learns from it and the club doesn't suffer in any way as a result!!

goodie
Club Player

Buckets wrote:
goodie wrote:Less than a week after Dustin Martin and Connors get done for missing training, one of ours screws up. This club just cannot catch a break.

Those two used sleeping tablets mixed with alcohol to get high.
Really? I didn't know that after it was plastered all over the papers. My point is the timing.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Seems to be a lot of assumptions on here. Who was to say he went out for a wild night of partying after a game? They may have gone to a team mates place to have a few drinks to unwind. Being 0.08 is hardly roll down drunk.

Was he wrong? Of course he bloomin' was. No doubt. He showed how immature and naive he is. Thank goodness no one was hurt. However, it brings back not too distant memories of a time when I myself was in a similar situation. I was pulled up the morning after having consumed a few beverages the night before. I had no idea that I may have been close to the limit. Luckily, I scraped in at 0.03. Didn't feel the slightest bit hung over or drunk and had not consumed that much the night before and had not had a night of wild partying. Just a few drinks with some close friends over dinner. Was I wrong? Hell yes. I can tell you for a fact that I NEVER made that mistake again.

Those on their moral high horses should step down. We can all make stupid mistakes. Thankfully, no one was hurt and he will learn from this.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
Thinline wrote:
Let me be clear. I have no problem with players getting on the piss. What I have a problem with is them doing it straight after a game they played in, when they should be in recovery.

When I say get on the piss I mean in excess, which is what Steven did. It wouldn't have been a problem if he had 1 quiet drink before he went to bed.
Had he got a lift it wouldn't have been an issue...if a tree falls in a forest...plenty of trees fall quietly in a season...

It is sub-optimal. Of course it is. But he ain't on his Pat Malone, he's a relative kid and he's now been caught by the law.

He's a nong and he's copped his whack.

But I'm not gonna swing the guy from a rafter for doing something dumb but relatively innocuous and (thankfully) harmless in the end beyond pissing off a sporting club.

And I don't know how much he drank. I'm not jumping to conclusions about it. But I will say this: elite athlete, dehydrated/rehydrating, small bloke, likely irregular drinker. Add it all up and it ain't gonna take much to get him to .08 even after a sleep.

As an aside, .08 used to be the limit. Showing my age...

Look these guys get precious little opportunity to be normal. They will and do f--k up occasionally. We all do.

I'd be truly amazed if he does it again.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
66 Saints
Club Player

saint75 wrote:Seems to be a lot of assumptions on here. Who was to say he went out for a wild night of partying after a game? They may have gone to a team mates place to have a few drinks to unwind. Being 0.08 is hardly roll down drunk.

Was he wrong? Of course he bloomin' was. No doubt. He showed how immature and naive he is. Thank goodness no one was hurt. However, it brings back not too distant memories of a time when I myself was in a similar situation. I was pulled up the morning after having consumed a few beverages the night before. I had no idea that I may have been close to the limit. Luckily, I scraped in at 0.03. Didn't feel the slightest bit hung over or drunk and had not consumed that much the night before and had not had a night of wild partying. Just a few drinks with some close friends over dinner. Was I wrong? Hell yes. I can tell you for a fact that I NEVER made that mistake again.

Those on their moral high horses should step down. We can all make stupid mistakes. Thankfully, no one was hurt and he will learn from this.
And the difference between your 0.03 and Jacks 0.08 would only be 1-2 stubbies. He probably had 6-8 stubbies, Hardly a massive night out partying and throwing his potential away on the booze.
Silly yes but appropriate response by the club.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

No moral high horse here.

It just makes me think of this...

I guess it shows a contrast between those it comes easily for, and those it doesn't.

I'm not going to whack Jack with a big stick, in fact I really hope he is OK.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:No moral high horse here.

I guess it shows a contrast between those it comes easily for, and those it doesn't.

I am not sure why you would think he was not OK? We all seem to be being a bit melodramatic. I think that all players should not drink during the season as they are elite athletes, but is that ever going to happen? No. They are human and like all of us, they do have failings and they do need to unwind. How many on here had a few celebratory drinks after the game (some during the game, just ask the Essendon twit that ran on the field).

I think we need to gain some perspective on the situation. He has been punished for his stupidity by the loss of his license, a 1 match ban and the humiliation of it being made public. End of story.

It is certainly not a repeat of the NZ affair. Just my 2 cents worth.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm just trying to be a realist here.

It's his second indiscretion in 18 months, probably can't afford to stuff up again however talented he is.

Clubs don't throw out endless 'chances' these days.

I'm not sure there is anything wrong. Just some kids don't handle the fishbowl that is footy, if he is struggling with that, he has my sympathy.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The trouble is not that players have sex the night before a game. It's that they stay out all night looking for it.
- Casey Stengal

markp
Saintsational Legend

For him to still be .08 mid morning he would've had a dozen or so standard drinks the night before... a lot.

Sub-optimal indeed.

High-horse my arse.

Unacceptable full-stop.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
SainterK wrote:No moral high horse here.

I am not sure why you would think he was not OK? We all seem to be being a bit melodramatic. I think that all players should not drink during the season as they are elite athletes, but is that ever going to happen? No. They are human and like all of us, they do have failings and they do need to unwind. How many on here had a few celebratory drinks after the game (some during the game, just ask the Essendon twit that ran on the field).
I think we need to gain some perspective on the situation. He has been punished for his stupidity by the loss of his license, a 1 match ban and the humiliation of it being made public. End of story.

It is certainly not a repeat of the NZ affair. Just my 2 cents worth.
I agree with much of what you have written , however I'm not sure how relevent it is to compare how the mug supporter in the stands celebrates a win to how the elite athlete who played the game celebrates the win.

Jack has stuffed up - I'd be pretty confident he'd be aware of that by now (if he wasn't already) Lets hope he comes back against the Swans as determined as ever to win back everyone's trust. I just hope he doesn't lose some confidence and go back into his shell.

On another note. I'm disappointed the club has suspended him for a week, but I understand why they did it in this current climate. Some journos are already saying it was too light a penalty. I guess he's on his 2nd chance. Personally I've never seen the point of clubs suspending players for out of hours infractions (why punish the whole team?)- maybe the fact he was drinking to excess in season is considered a disciplinary breach?

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

he will learn from this, and hopefully take as many side streets as possible in the future, rookie mistake Jack!

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Not in Victoria, always been .05 here.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
stinger
Saintsational Legend

he's young....he will learn....otherwise he may end up as just another statistic....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

He must have had ~12 std drinks to be still 0.08.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:Seems to be a lot of assumptions on here. Who was to say he went out for a wild night of partying after a game? They may have gone to a team mates place to have a few drinks to unwind. Being 0.08 is hardly roll down drunk.

0.08 is about 1 drink over in normal circumstances. But if you do the acceptable maths you will see that Jack had more than a couple of quiet beers. You need to calculate at about 0.01 per hour between the time he stopped drinking and the time he got tested. If he was 0.08 at say 10am and he stopped drinking around 3am his BAC when he stopped drinking would have been somewhere between 0.14-0.16. That, for a professional athlete with above average muscle mass would equate to somewhere between 12-16 standard drinks !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

older saint
SS Life Member

I agree with those posts regarding the issue of the player excessively drinking after a game when he is supposed to be a professional athlete getting paid big coin to do so. Not saying he was smashed but realistically to be 0.08 at 10 am the next day means he would have had to have had a reasonavble amount to drink - not just a couple beers after the game.

I think it shows a massive amount of disrespect to the club, teammates and supporters that he is not doing what is required to get the best out of himself for himself and the team. Any soft tissue injuries not matter how minor are likely to bleed more with alcohol as it thins the blood, this would include corks, bruises etc resultiung in a player being sorer(if it is a word) for longer far from aiding recovery.

Funny I look at his body shape compared to others and he is not cut with definition , which may or may not be a result of how strict he is on diet.

He has taken the shine of a great win by the club and with finals on a knofe's edge he better hope we do not drop this week as he will have a lot to answer for .

As for drink driving if his judgment is that poor to drink that amount after a game then no one should be surprised it continues.

Dumb Arse!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Thinline wrote:
Not in Victoria, always been .05 here.
I ain't from down there parts Bern...

spert
Saintsational Legend

Should be mature enough and educated enough to know the consequences. Actually, I've been thinking his form has dropped back a bit over the last few matches??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Why does everyone think he went out on the piss and had 12 drinks of beer at least. The guy stuffed up but could easily had a couple of bottles of wine at home with his girl friend. Wine is a huge trap. And probably not starting until after midnight meant he was probably still drinking until around 3am. This isnt an excuse but it shows how the grog does stay in your system for a long while. My guess is he woke up and it didnt even cross him mind that he would be .05 until he saw the booze bus and the butterfly's crept in.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Why does everyone think he went out on the piss and had 12 drinks of beer at least. The guy stuffed up but could easily had a couple of bottles of wine at home with his girl friend. Wine is a huge trap. And probably not starting until after midnight meant he was probably still drinking until around 3am. This isnt an excuse but it shows how the grog does stay in your system for a long while. My guess is he woke up and it didnt even cross him mind that he would be .05 until he saw the booze bus and the butterfly's crept in.

what a surprise pluggs knows better and everyone else is an idiot!
But point is this definitely (what pluggs says) easily could have been what happened. It can also happen to any one of us (except teetotallers). only issue is players are educated to do a very quick calculation and work it out (which we all are/try to be). in that case im sure he could have texted a mate for a lift.
but yeah. i certainly dont judge the bloke for it. 6 months no licence is a big price to pay when ur workplace is car dependent. So hell pay the price no doubt. So no need for any of us to sink the slipper in.

(p.s my version where he goes out and picks up and get laid is much more entertaining and funny).
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 09 Jul 2012 2:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Why does everyone think he went out on the piss and had 12 drinks of beer at least. The guy stuffed up but could easily had a couple of bottles of wine at home with his girl friend. Wine is a huge trap. And probably not starting until after midnight meant he was probably still drinking until around 3am. This isnt an excuse but it shows how the grog does stay in your system for a long while. My guess is he woke up and it didnt even cross him mind that he would be .05 until he saw the booze bus and the butterfly's crept in.

what a surprise pluggs knows better and everyone else is an idiot!
But point is this definitely (what pluggs says) easily could have been what happened. It can also happen to any one of us (except teetotallers). only issue is players are educated to do a very quick calculation and work it out (which we all are/try to be). in that case im sure he could have texted a mate for a lift.
but yeah. i certainly dont judge the bloke for it. 6 months no licence is a big price to pay when ur workplace is car dependent. So hell pay the price no doubt. So no need for any of us to sink the slipper in.

And what a surprise you imagined what was written and commented on something that wasnt written but then agree with what I said.