This weeks selections........

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

This weeks selections........

I would have thought Saad would have been first one out this week after his very poor game last week, but instead, the only ones dropped were Raph and Terry. Hmmm. I question why is it so easy to drop Raph, yet Gibert and others never get dropped Is it because of all the noise from the idiot fans here and elsewhere?

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Re: This weeks selections........

Im pretty sure that the selection panel dont go off what the supporter / forum base want in selection. If so Tommy Walsh would still be here and Ledger would have played every game. Elsewhere, does that mean everyone else thinks that too?? Maybe everyone else is right.

Saad = future

Raph is an 8 year veteren that consistently makes the same mistakes

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Gawd lose Saads pace and this team looks positively slow

“Yeah….nah””
bergsone
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:Gawd lose Saads pace and this team looks positively slow

Essendon usually run the legs off us,make us look like witches hats

Wont match em in the air,at least try to match em with some players with some pace

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Milera is one of our quickest players, if not the quickest on our list, but it did not save him. Although I wont be surprised if he plays this weekend.

PJ
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:I would have thought Saad would have been first one out this week after his very poor game last week, but instead, the only ones dropped were Raph and Terry. Hmmm. I question why is it so easy to drop Raph, yet Gibert and others never get dropped Is it because of all the noise from the idiot fans here and elsewhere?
Saad was rusty but defensively good. Terry's lookaway handpasses need to be put away permanently - under pressure he tries stuff that is too fancy. Raph was hot and cold and I think would have benefitted from having another tall defender taking his tall and going on a medium - but he is not fast.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Milera is one of our quickest players, if not the quickest on our list, but it did not save him.
he's also had about six weeks of relative anonymity, after a good start to the year. at some point players out of form have to be dropped to find form in the reserves - terry was due. saad had only one quiet game after six good weeks, so he would have been stiff to be dropped.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Milera is one of our quickest players, if not the quickest on our list, but it did not save him.
at some point players out of form have to be dropped to find form in the reserves

GILBO ? :shock:

Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I would have thought Saad would have been first one out this week after his very poor game last week, but instead, the only ones dropped were Raph and Terry. Hmmm. I question why is it so easy to drop Raph, yet Gibert and others never get dropped Is it because of all the noise from the idiot fans here and elsewhere?
Surely people don't think all this drivel on here actually means something, if any team took notice of what's written on
fan forums then they deserve to fail... :roll:

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Saad has shown more in just a few games than raph in his entire career. Milera has probably played as many good games.
I think I remember just one game where I thought raph had finally arrived, and in a big game. I was wrong.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

How Gilbo continually gets selected despite a sustained period of poor form simply astounds... to me it feels like McQualter 2010 all over again

I would just love to know, what is it that people are seeing that I'm missing?

A direct comparison to Raph Clarke...
Raph has some good games, a lot of average games and some poor games VS Gilbo has mostly poor and average games and has had maybe 1 good game this year

vacuous space
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:How Gilbo continually gets selected despite a sustained period of poor form simply astounds...
What was wrong with Gilbo's game against North? I didn't notice the kind of horrific clangers from him that Clarke and Milera had. Even if you don't like his 13 touches, he'd averaged 20+ over the previous three weeks. He's also picked up a lot of contested ball over the last month and laid a team high 9 tackles against North. Coaches tend to like contested ball and tackling as a measure a lot more than raw possession. I don't see anything wrong with Gilbo's recent form.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Saintersss
Club Player

That was Saad's first poor game of his career, I think it's ok to excuse him considering it's his first season. If he continues to play poorly he will be dropped, but considering before last week he has been very good, he stays.

If you actually think coaches listen to fans you are quite delusional.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:How Gilbo continually gets selected despite a sustained period of poor form simply astounds... to me it feels like McQualter 2010 all over again

I would just love to know, what is it that people are seeing that I'm missing?

A direct comparison to Raph Clarke...
Raph has some good games, a lot of average games and some poor games VS Gilbo has mostly poor and average games and has had maybe 1 good game this year
So who is wrong, you or our coach?

elvis lives
Club Player

Ahh plugger that old chestnut, what a winner you are

I am marching in the Saints army
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

it's just a question Mr I have nothing to contribute

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Raph got dropped because he's not up to it. He seems to be in the same category as Polo and Peake, in that the coach has given them a chance, had a look and decided, in racing parlance, that he "prefers others". I doubt we'll see those three at senior level again, but you never know.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
elvis lives
Club Player

What's the point of contributing skeptic if the answer to all questions is: the coach knows more than us ignorant supporters and is therefore never wrong?

I am marching in the Saints army
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:it's just a question Mr I have nothing to contribute

So was mine. Are you going to answer it. I have been on this forum for 2 coaches now and you seem to have more information than them regarding players. I just want to know how that is possible. You made the sweeping statement not me. I doubt you have all the information but I reckon the coach does. His form didnt seem great last year either but he was again selected under a different coach.

By the way i have plenty to contribute but whinging about selection that you know bugger all about usually isnt one of them. Especially with a sweeping statement like yours.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

bobmurray wrote:
Surely people don't think all this drivel on here actually means something, if any team took notice of what's written on
fan forums then they deserve to fail... :roll:
Hang on a minute. So you mean to say the selectors don't read Saintsational before they pick the team each week?
If that's the case how do they know who to pick?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:
Saad was rusty but defensively good. Terry's lookaway handpasses need to be put away permanently - under pressure he tries stuff that is too fancy. Raph was hot and cold and I think would have benefitted from having another tall defender taking his tall and going on a medium - but he is not fast.
Saad puts on perceived pressure which is invaluable. Despite being a main target last year at the Bullants he has taken on the smaller forward position bloody well.

Yes he was rusty however his botch against Firrito happens to all smalls whereby they run too far and look silly.

Even if he spend the entire game running around he is doing his job such is his pace.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
PJ wrote:
Saad puts on perceived pressure which is invaluable. Despite being a main target last year at the Bullants he has taken on the smaller forward position bloody well.

Yes he was rusty however his botch against Firrito happens to all smalls whereby they run too far and look silly.

Even if he spend the entire game running around he is doing his job such is his pace.
I think Milne is a master at getting caught while on the run for goal