Milera

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Milera

Where does everyone see Terry Milera's future? After an impressive start to the year he has dropped off badly. Yesterday he came on and immediately handballed it directly to the opposition twice and then kicked a brilliant goal..which makes him a tough one to figure out. At 24 he won't be given the leniency of an 18 year old and needs to show serious improvement to hold his spot. Schneider has came back into the side and played much better in a similar role.

I think the coaches need to decide if he is a wingman or a forward, because 12 touches and 1 goal per game doesn't cut it. He needs to either get more of the footy or kick more goals. He also needs to stop giving away free kicks for sloppy tackling. His good skills tend to be wasted by poor decision making, moreso now than at the start of the year.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Milera

He'll be right. Very early days.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I still think we look like treacle out of defence and reckon he could go allright off a HBF.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I also reckon Milera will be ok - hes still star struck IMO.

He sees a Hayes or Dl Santo in traffic and it looks liek he wants to dish off to them so badly...even when its not on!

Back yourself Tezza - youre good enough to be there, if these stars are in a worse position with heat on DONT give it to them and if they sook f@rk em.

He is an instinct player who is second guessing himself for mine right now and its showing.

“Yeah….nah””
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I still think we look like treacle out of defence and reckon he could go allright off a HBF.
Would be another Gram . He's too scared to go and get the footy

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Teflon wrote:I still think we look like treacle out of defence and reckon he could go allright off a HBF.
Dont agree - Ive seen him attempt to tackle often and his disposal/dash is way better than Grans.

“Yeah….nah””
defacto
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
Dont agree - Ive seen him attempt to tackle often and his disposal/dash is way better than Grans.
i dont agree either.

milera has lost touch and form. best to get him out of the spot light, put him back in the vfl where he can find some touch. he's done very well this year, theres no shame going back to the vfl to work on some thing

put siposs back in, in his spot. failing than upgrade dunnell

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
At the moment magnificent is right. His attempts at tackling are rarely fierce. He almost cuddles the opposition player rather than wrapping them up. Makes it easy for them to release a handpass generally.

The OP states he kicked a brilliant goal? It was a good goal, but hardly brilliant. Brilliant was very early in the year when he stormed through the centre, gathered the ball and baulked an opponenent and then kicked a goal from outside 50.

His disposal is NOT better than Grams. This ispartly because if his decision making. He takes too long to release and often his kicks are too high or are rushed. Gram at least knows how to find the ball.

Milera may well become a very good player for us. At the moment he is not, and is not showing anywhere near enough to keep his spot. He doesn't need to be in the best players, but he needs to limit mistakes and take chances when they arise.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

His disposal is easily that of Grans who IS NOT the future.

Not sure if you watched yesterdays game but newsflash - ITS FUTURE TIME- cause this side aint winning flags anytime soon. If you need a reminder see losses to;

Port Adelaide
Fremantle (in Melbourne)
Richmond
Nth Melbourne

Time to wake up FFS - Milera might not be Gran right now for finding the footy - he needs GAME TIME to get to that level.

The name of the game for us now and has to be give the kids every opportunity - FFS he cam on as a sub at a time when the game was in Nths favour, sure he turned it over with some howlers, but kids will do that and in AFL games terms yes, hes still a kid.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Milera has really good skills and pace, but he needs to bulk up the upper body before next season. This will help him make those tackles stick. He's so light now he just bounces off.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:His disposal is easily that of Grans who IS NOT the future.

Not sure if you watched yesterdays game but newsflash - ITS FUTURE TIME- cause this side aint winning flags anytime soon. If you need a reminder see losses to;

Port Adelaide
Fremantle (in Melbourne)
Richmond
Nth Melbourne

Time to wake up FFS - Milera might not be Gran right now for finding the footy - he needs GAME TIME to get to that level.

The name of the game for us now and has to be give the kids every opportunity - FFS he cam on as a sub at a time when the game was in Nths favour, sure he turned it over with some howlers, but kids will do that and in AFL games terms yes, hes still a kid.
I see what you have done there. You are calling Gram, GRAN cos you think he's soft. Very clever :roll:

Gram was very ordinary yesterday, as was most of the team. But he's still better value than Milera at the moment unfortunately. Don't forget Milera is hardly a kid - he's 24 years old. He's a kid in terms of experience I agree. I want him to succeed as much as the next bloke. We need guys like him in the team. There is no point playing a bloke who is sadly out of form and without confidence. Kids get turned over all the time in all AFL teams. Even at the pies (which everyone seems to use as the yardstick) Yes they have played plenty of kids, but unless those kids are performing, it's back to the VFL for the. Same goes for bottom tier teams as well before you say that the pies are aiming at a flag and haven't the flexibility with kids not performing. Ayce Cordy, Smith and Mitch Wallace have all been dropped this year at the doggies. NO club can afford to play blokes just because they are inexperienced. They have to do something to hold their place. Once again, they don't have to be in the best players, but what they do on the ground has to be effectual. I agree that time will give Milera a chance to find more of the ball. BUT his decision making AT THE MOMENT is so poor, to be honest, I'd rather he didn't have the ball in his hands.

Those that think that he would go ok off half back I question. Hemay be quick, but you have a direct opponent you are accountable for off half back. I'm not sure he could keep track of his opponent.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

hard to maintain a full season with such intensity. I think Tezz looks mentally worn out.
Id give him some down time - maybe a couple of weeks in the magoos. But hell be right next year.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Bit unfair, not just of Milera but also of Gram.
Hell, we went in with an injured Captain at CHF, a very ill FF/pinch hit ruckman, brought back our second ruckman a week too soon who had to be subbed off, and have our prized utility out there with a severe case of anger management issues. Not to mention the fact that our FB from last year left us at the eleventh hour last year with buckleys' of getting enyone in to fill that role this season, and you see why we have lost games to mediocre teams all year.
Bigger issues with structure than Terry and Jason methinks.
With Blake out as well with what looks like an ankle, great opportunity to bring in some youth and roll the dice. Has to be done some time.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Bit unfair, not just of Milera but also of Gram.
Hell, we went in with an injured Captain at CHF, a very ill FF/pinch hit ruckman, brought back our second ruckman a week too soon who had to be subbed off, and have our prized utility out there with a severe case of anger management issues. Not to mention the fact that our FB from last year left us at the eleventh hour last year with buckleys' of getting enyone in to fill that role this season, and you see why we have lost games to mediocre teams all year.
With Blake out as well with what looks like an ankle, great opportunity to bring in some youth and roll the dice. Has to be done some time.
Geez were throwing in the excuses now.....you left out the coach who deserted us 10mths ago....

Really this is where we start to "justify" what was a deplorable performance...sad.

“Yeah….nah””
Moods
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Bit unfair, not just of Milera but also of Gram.
Are you kidding? I agree that Milera and Gram in the grand scheme of things are not the main problem. But whose fault was it to play Roo if he is injured? Same as Kosi. We had just come off a 16 day break FFS. If Kosi wasn't right he should have spoken up. We had like ONE injury to the entire list - not as if he HAD to play. Zac leaving was also our own fault. We have been squeezed with salary cap issues and have developed no-one to take his place. BJ is playing pporly which is causing the anger management issues. More a reflection on BJ than anyone else. I reckon they're all pretty poor excuses for our team. Almost everything you mentioned is of our own making.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Teflon wrote:His disposal is easily that of Grans who IS NOT the future.

Port Adelaide
Fremantle (in Melbourne)
Richmond
Nth Melbourne

I see what you have done there. You are calling Gram, GRAN cos you think he's soft. Very clever :roll:

Gram was very ordinary yesterday, as was most of the team. But he's still better value than Milera at the moment unfortunately. Don't forget Milera is hardly a kid - he's 24 years old. He's a kid in terms of experience I agree. I want him to succeed as much as the next bloke. We need guys like him in the team. There is no point playing a bloke who is sadly out of form and without confidence. Kids get turned over all the time in all AFL teams. Even at the pies (which everyone seems to use as the yardstick) Yes they have played plenty of kids, but unless those kids are performing, it's back to the VFL for the. Same goes for bottom tier teams as well before you say that the pies are aiming at a flag and haven't the flexibility with kids not performing. Ayce Cordy, Smith and Mitch Wallace have all been dropped this year at the doggies. NO club can afford to play blokes just because they are inexperienced. They have to do something to hold their place. Once again, they don't have to be in the best players, but what they do on the ground has to be effectual. I agree that time will give Milera a chance to find more of the ball. BUT his decision making AT THE MOMENT is so poor, to be honest, I'd rather he didn't have the ball in his hands.

Those that think that he would go ok off half back I question. Hemay be quick, but you have a direct opponent you are accountable for off half back. I'm not sure he could keep track of his opponent.
You got me with the Gran thing....you're sharp...

The amount of hypocrisy in that post knows no bounds, you argue Milera isnt performing and young guys who dont perform cant be gifted games.........yet youre prepared to gift Gran games off the back of that effort??? why arent you calling for his head?? seriosuly this is why and how we see the 2009 side continue to run out and get smashed...cause people like you cant accept reality that its time to MOVE ON and that this side needs a serious shake up in terms of personell.

While we are on Milera -I would cut him some slack as coming in as sub at that time in the game is not easy - Id at least give him a run before writing him off to VFL....its so easy to say "oh the kid looks shot" while leaving the "stars" to continue on their merry way.

Id hate you backing me in the trenches...

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

First year of AFL footy. Minimum wage. Deserves some leeway.
Im more concerned about our higher paid gentlemen.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Not sure I said anything about gifting Gram games. If you had been following my posts (which I assume you have because you are replying to them) you would realise that I never thought Milera deserved a game in the first place yesterday. He has been poor for about 5 weeks I reckon.

We obviously differ on Gram (sorry Gran :roll: ) in that I don't think his form has been as bad as you reckon. I think we have debated this point on another thread several weeks ago. I agree he was very poor yesterday. He keeps that up, and yes he will be under the gun. I want Gram to play better than Milera because he is a senior player, BUT I don't want to see him dropped because he is a senior player. I just blokes performing. Yesterday barely anyone performed. For mine Gram has been far better than Milera the last 6 weeks which is why I don't question his spot in the team.

It was like last year when some reckoned Roo should be dropped. Yes I wanted him to play better - somewhere near I knew he was capable. But NO I never would ever consider dropping him last year, because even his limited output would be far batter than say Stanley's last year in the same position.

I agree that being the sub is a hard role. Even harder when the team is playing poorly and you are inexperienced. However that's the position Terry finds himself in after about 5 indifferent weeks. He simply has to take his chances. Can't play poorly (again) and then say, 'but my role was too hard'

I like the guy, don't get me wrong, I just reckon he's ready for a spell. You tell me to take the blinkers off. Well I might well say the same to you. Some love the idea of young blokes/new blokes in the team. It looks like we are regenerating. It gives us hope. Well, I say you have to do something once you are selected. You say Gram has done nothing as well. Fair enough we disagree

defacto
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:First year of AFL footy. Minimum wage. Deserves some leeway.
+1

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:First year of AFL footy. Minimum wage. Deserves some leeway.
+1
Seconded - or should that be thirded :|

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.