On another topic: Essendon's new away strip

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Lenny
Club Player

Re: On another topic: Essendon's new away strip

That is revolting, looks like they have crawled in the mud. Hope we NEVER get anything like that. At least our clash jumpers represent St Kilda. Most of them are plain shocking.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

If we run out on saturday in white shorts that isn't an adequate clash kit.

Furthermore why the hell did we wear white shorts against Richmond and Hawthorn?

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Ice Wolf wrote:Furthermore why the hell did we wear white shorts against Richmond and Hawthorn?
..... reason -

Have you seen the movie Little Nicky (Adam Sandler) - I refer to the hilter scene and pineapples - I rest my case

St Kilda = Hitler
Pineapples = AFL

http://youtu.be/rMEv8YYOEgc

avid
Club Player

That grey thing is a disgrace to the whole culture and tradition of football.
Most of the traditional jumpers are core icons of the game. Essendon's is one of the 5 or 6 truly great jumpers. The AFL should stop meddling with them all.
Essendon's and Melbourne's are simply not conducive to any 'lighter' version. They should just stay as they are.
St Kilda and Collingwood have traditional colours that can easily be tweaked into a light and a dark version. Collingwood already do it. If we could just get our traditional tri-colour front backed by a white background, we'd be doing it too.
Carlton's blue on white reverse seems to work. (The baby blue monstrosity is a monstrosity.)
Why can't the AFL see that these powerful traditional jumpers are football's greatest graphic assests? Every time they fiddle with them they diminish the core visual appeal of the game.
The problem of clashing jumpers is largely a furphy, and everybody knows it.
On the few occasions where it does matter to some extent, surely we can agree to use the best available versions of these TRADITIONAL jumpers.
I wouldn't give a stuff if we always had to wear a white-backed traditional jumper when we played Essendon, or our black-backed one when we play Sydney. Just as long as we don't ever have to wear the contrived garbage we've been coming up with since the AFL began insisting on it.
Just because I hate Essendon and Collingwood doesn't mean I don't like playing against teams that actually LOOK like Essendon and Collingwood enemy when we play them.
We should all get over this tit-for-tat stuff, and all agree, as the higher priority, to preserve this fundamental heritage of our great game.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

avid wrote:That grey thing is a disgrace to the whole culture and tradition of football.
Most of the traditional jumpers are core icons of the game. Essendon's is one of the 5 or 6 truly great jumpers. The AFL should stop meddling with them all.
Essendon's and Melbourne's are simply not conducive to any 'lighter' version. They should just stay as they are.
St Kilda and Collingwood have traditional colours that can easily be tweaked into a light and a dark version. Collingwood already do it. If we could just get our traditional tri-colour front backed by a white background, we'd be doing it too.
Carlton's blue on white reverse seems to work. (The baby blue monstrosity is a monstrosity.)
Why can't the AFL see that these powerful traditional jumpers are football's greatest graphic assests? Every time they fiddle with them they diminish the core visual appeal of the game.
The problem of clashing jumpers is largely a furphy, and everybody knows it.
On the few occasions where it does matter to some extent, surely we can agree to use the best available versions of these TRADITIONAL jumpers.
I wouldn't give a stuff if we always had to wear a white-backed traditional jumper when we played Essendon, or our black-backed one when we play Sydney. Just as long as we don't ever have to wear the contrived garbage we've been coming up with since the AFL began insisting on it.
Just because I hate Essendon and Collingwood doesn't mean I don't like playing against teams that actually LOOK like Essendon and Collingwood enemy when we play them.
We should all get over this tit-for-tat stuff, and all agree, as the higher priority, to preserve this fundamental heritage of our great game.
Absolutely nailed it avid!!!

You talk of tradition, culture, assets, icons, passion, heritage... These are the foundations that our great game is built on, and the AFL should stop their uncalled-for undermining of those foundations!

I wish that I could have come up with that magnificently and passionately worded post myself... but that was beyond me... so thank-you avid. :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I'm bewildered by people who cannot comprehend the issue of jumper clashes.

Alternative light/dark versions appear in nearly every other sport in the world.

And a game as 360 degree and as fast as ours certainly requires more than just shorts.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The TV networks put over $1Bill into the game over 5 years. They want the best possible product to on-sell, and that includes contrasting strips. If you wanted to be really cynical on this issue (and especially Essendon's stance) you could be forgiven for thinking that Demetriou allowed Essendon to hold out for so long because of his relationship with his "bonus benifactor" Ron Evans !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Spinner wrote:I'm bewildered by people who cannot comprehend the issue of jumper clashes.

Alternative light/dark versions appear in nearly every other sport in the world.

And a game as 360 degree and as fast as ours certainly requires more than just shorts.
Hi Spinner, what nearly every other sport in the world does is their problem. :wink: Our jumpers are distinctive and don't clash, yes even the Tuggers and Effndum. I do reckon that white/black shorts are enough.

Just look at some of the horrendous clash strips... What's with the baby blue of Carlscum (I thought their anthem was "We are the old dark navy blues." Well not in those pyjamas you ain't boys...) Then there was the Dawks attempt against Carlscum on Friday night. Why did those two need a clash strip??? I still remember the Hillbillies and that stupid cartoon cat they used to wear. Who do they clash with??? Oh yeah, Nuff Nuff Melbourne, if one team are standing up and the other are all lying down... And I don't even want to talk about ours...

As avid suggested, why can't we just wear the beloved and unique tri-panel jumper with either a black or white back??? Why mess beyond that???

Spin, for me that's the two issues...

1.There isn't really a need for clash strips. It was never a problem for nigh on 100 years of footy, so why now?
2.If we really must have clash strips, why are they so needlessly different from and disrespectful to the traditional historic jumpers? (And why do they look so damn crap???) :evil:

We may not yet have the best record in the league, but we do have easily the best jumper in the league. It should be respected and not messed with! :idea:

PS: Our heritage jumper also looks great and is very acceptable. :)

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
Spinner wrote:I'm bewildered by people who cannot comprehend the issue of jumper clashes.

Hi Spinner, what nearly every other sport in the world does is their problem. :wink: Our jumpers are distinctive and don't clash, yes even the Tuggers and Effndum. I do reckon that white/black shorts are enough.

Just look at some of the horrendous clash strips... What's with the baby blue of Carlscum (I thought their anthem was "We are the old dark navy blues." Well not in those pyjamas you ain't boys...) Then there was the Dawks attempt against Carlscum on Friday night. Why did those two need a clash strip??? I still remember the Hillbillies and that stupid cartoon cat they used to wear. Who do they clash with??? Oh yeah, Nuff Nuff Melbourne, if one team are standing up and the other are all lying down... And I don't even want to talk about ours...

As avid suggested, why can't we just wear the beloved and unique tri-panel jumper with either a black or white back??? Why mess beyond that???

Spin, for me that's the two issues...

1.There isn't really a need for clash strips. It was never a problem for nigh on 100 years of footy, so why now?
2.If we really must have clash strips, why are they so needlessly different from and disrespectful to the traditional historic jumpers? (And why do they look so damn crap???) :evil:

We may not yet have the best record in the league, but we do have easily the best jumper in the league. It should be respected and not messed with! :idea:

PS: Our heritage jumper also looks great and is very acceptable. :)

That 100 years crap is the worst argument in all of this. Illogical and sidesteps the issue. Lucky you were not fronting man's quest to evolve from simple cavemen, to intellectual beings.

Our jumper does clash. For footballers sake, for a fast game, you work on peripheral vision. Clear indications of team mates and opponents make for a faster, more instinctive game.

So you're saying its ok to change it with a white back, but no further? One or the other. Either have a stubborn line of 'its been like this for thousands of years' or be open to the change.

And every other sport does it for a reason. That reason is because the underlying benefit of having two distinct teams, less so for the fans - But most importantly for the players and the game itself.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

FACT: The majority of clash strips look ATROCIOUS. Football clubs are uniformly terrible at designing new strips.

FACT: St Kilda has one of the best jumpers in the league. So does Carlton (as an example). But as it stands, we will NEVER see those two jumpers on the ground at the same time. And that's a real shame.

FACT: Clash strips are being worn increasingly when there is no discernible clash (e.g. Hawthorn v Carlton). A good example of mad bureaucracy, Adrian Anderson-syle.

FACT: The aesthetics of our great game are being compromised. If you don't care about aesthetics, fine, go wash your pink flamingos. Some of us do.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:That 100 years crap is the worst argument in all of this. Illogical and sidesteps the issue. Lucky you were not fronting man's quest to evolve from simple cavemen, to intellectual beings.
Our jumper does clash. For footballers sake, for a fast game, you work on peripheral vision. Clear indications of team mates and opponents make for a faster, more instinctive game.
Agreed Spin, it's certainly lucky that I "were not fronting man's quest to evolve from simple cavemen, to intellectual beings". But not for the just reason you imply. :wink: However, when it comes to things like dwelling in caves, well as far as the ideal way to live goes, then that lifestyle certainly was 'broken' and in need of improving upon. So we aren't really comparing apples with apples on that one.

The 100 years thing ain't crap I reckon. I'd call it, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.' I don't ever recall the players of any generation decrying clashing jumpers as a problem. For as long as I can remember, the standard response from all generations of players has always been "stop changing the rules!"
Spinner wrote:So you're saying its ok to change it with a white back, but no further? One or the other. Either have a stubborn line of 'its been like this for thousands of years' or be open to the change.
No, on this I'm not open to significant, detrimental, non respectful change to our jumper - ever!

Black or white back, either is true to this, as is the vertical striped heritage jumper. (The temporary use of the yellow is due to the German's admiration for our colours unfortunately coinciding with a world war.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Kilda_F ... lub#Jumper
Spinner wrote:And every other sport does it for a reason. That reason is because the underlying benefit of having two distinct teams, less so for the fans - But most importantly for the players and the game itself.
Again, I would argue what is our reason? Jumpers clashing was not an issue for 100 years, the players and fans have never whinged about it. It's just an AFL money spinner (no pun intended) at the expense of history and tradition..., and sadly when looking at the designs that have been thrown up (pun intended)..., at the expense of good taste.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
Spinner wrote:That 100 years crap is the worst argument in all of this. Illogical and sidesteps the issue. Lucky you were not fronting man's quest to evolve from simple cavemen, to intellectual beings.
Agreed Spin, it's certainly lucky that I "were not fronting man's quest to evolve from simple cavemen, to intellectual beings". But not for the just reason you imply. :wink: However, when it comes to things like dwelling in caves, well as far as the ideal way to live goes, then that lifestyle certainly was 'broken' and in need of improving upon. So we aren't really comparing apples with apples on that one.

The 100 years thing ain't crap I reckon. I'd call it, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.' I don't ever recall the players of any generation decrying clashing jumpers as a problem. For as long as I can remember, the standard response from all generations of players has always been "stop changing the rules!"
Spinner wrote:So you're saying its ok to change it with a white back, but no further? One or the other. Either have a stubborn line of 'its been like this for thousands of years' or be open to the change.
No, on this I'm not open to significant, detrimental, non respectful change to our jumper - ever!

Black or white back, either is true to this, as is the vertical striped heritage jumper. (The temporary use of the yellow is due to the German's admiration for our colours unfortunately coinciding with a world war.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Kilda_F ... lub#Jumper
Spinner wrote:And every other sport does it for a reason. That reason is because the underlying benefit of having two distinct teams, less so for the fans - But most importantly for the players and the game itself.
Again, I would argue what is our reason? Jumpers clashing was not an issue for 100 years, the players and fans have never whinged about it. It's just an AFL money spinner (no pun intended) at the expense of history and tradition..., and sadly when looking at the designs that have been thrown up (pun intended)..., at the expense of good taste.

We are getting smarter as a race. 500 years ago people thought the world was flat.

avid
Club Player

I'm not saying there is no 'clash problem'. I'm saying it's not as widespread as is made out, and that it can be handled without ruining the core aesthetics of our game -- with a little bit of insightful cooperation.
I think I concur wholeheartedly with Waltzing St Kilda's four "facts".
Fact 2 is particularly distressing, and I hadn't even thought of it. It should be blindingly obvious that this is a kind of tragedy for football.

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:FACT: The majority of clash strips look ATROCIOUS. Football clubs are uniformly terrible at designing new strips.

FACT: St Kilda has one of the best jumpers in the league. So does Carlton (as an example). But as it stands, we will NEVER see those two jumpers on the ground at the same time. And that's a real shame.

FACT: Clash strips are being worn increasingly when there is no discernible clash (e.g. Hawthorn v Carlton). A good example of mad bureaucracy, Adrian Anderson-syle.

FACT: The aesthetics of our great game are being compromised. If you don't care about aesthetics, fine, go wash your pink flamingos. Some of us do.

Thank you D McN for your kind words . I am very very passionate about this issue!
We all should be.
(Plugger is self-exempted.)

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:FACT: The majority of clash strips look ATROCIOUS. Football clubs are uniformly terrible at designing new strips.

FACT: 1, 2 and 4 are OPINIONS.
The Port Adelaide strips (home and clash) are terrific football jumpers. Better than anything they had before. In my opinion, the reason why is that they didn't try to incorporate a mascot in the design. Clash jumpers work best when clubs try and make it a football jumper first and foremost and forget about the mascots.

snowdelisaint
Club Player

Thanks to plugger for his insightful comments as usual.

A few points.

1) The bomber fans are mega pissed off about this. They're the last club in the league to comply, and thought they would never have to. And to add to that, the club has tried to spin this as a heritage strip, by having John Coleman's signature on the jumper, as well as the names of all premiership players. That is seriously a joke and massive disrespect to an Essendon legend by the club, this is an AFL directive and they have dug out some Heritage story to try to appease the fans.

2) The fans are unhappy now but just wait til they have to wear it in a grand final (maybe this year)

3) You guys are totally right, the AFL has gone bonkers, the whole clash jumper concept is unneccessary and destroys a valuable tradition of the game. I reckon this whole thing could have been better solved if the away team just wore white socks as well as shorts, with only one guernsey ever worn.

snowdelisaint
Club Player

Ice Wolf wrote:If we run out on saturday in white shorts that isn't an adequate clash kit.

And if they run out in white shorts, it will be a soup of red, white, black and grey... again, not an adequate solution.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

To those that seem to think socks and shorts are enough.. Maybe the away team can also wear white shoelaces.

Because I know when I play footy having to make those split second decisions in the packs, I'm definitely looking towards the feet/lower half of my teammates (or opponent).

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Is it just me or do other people think Essendons new clash strip is actually more of a clash with us then their normal jumper? The grey looks very much like white in various pictures. At least with other one it was clearly Red & Black... I know big red sash stands out, but dont understand how AFL can think this isnt a clash when other one was?

snowdelisaint
Club Player

FAIL

mullet
Saintsational Legend

isnt that a clash with the umpires shorts??????

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I like it !
if it makes them play average against us every time they wear it .

In red white and black from 73
St Lenny
Club Player

It is seriously the ugliest thing I have ever seen. As for being a clash, quite often I couldnt tell which team had the ball on TV, so it clearly doesnt work.

supersaints
Club Player

Seriously they look like pajamas , maybe they all went to sleep.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I liked it.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Really imporatant stuff.
really important comment and quoted for its brilliance and contribution to the thread

glad they have an away strip now
and i like ours the way it is too