Same old Same OLD

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWal
Club Player

Same old Same OLD

Has Lyon come back for a surprise team selection?

Everything that has made us a bit different this year is either now at Sandy or more than likely will be the the Sub. That is Siposs.

My fear is that the Kangaroos will now be too quick for us on the weekend and in the long term that Watters has succumbed to the bigger bodies and more experience will win the day.

Concerned
SaintWal

hAyES
Club Player

Re: Same old Same OLD

I'm saving my whinging for 90mins before the bounce. If there's no late changes then I'll be livid because when I saw the team I thought it was 2009.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think Fisher and Schneider are still best 22, Ben is our sole ruckman, Stanley gives us height and mobility in the forward line.

So those inclusions have pushed a few out.

Who would you have in and at which players expense?

I'll go first
In Saad
Out Siposs

Not sure about the last spot on the list yet, it must be between Clarke, Ray, Newnes, Milera

SaintWal
Club Player

I think that Saad and Terry have been the X factor for us so far.

To me the weak links at the moment are
Milne
Kosi
Gram
Raph
Geary
Schneider
and unfortunately BJ

If I was really looking at changes I would swap Kosi for stanley, Milne for Saad, Simpkin for gram and play him in gram's role.

I would then play Kosi as the sub, which is fine if you get to three quarter time with no injury but otherwise dangerous if you lose a back.

Then I think I would actually play Terry for Schneider

But hey that is me

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I suspect that Terry Milera is pretty sore and that is why he is not in the side this week. We all need to remember that even though he is 24yo he is still very young in AFL terms. Young & inexperienced players need to be managed correctly and I have faith in the current coaching/conditioning staff to look after our players !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Yep doesnt seem like much has changed - I can't believe the coaches still think they are a chance playing these older blokes. What happened to Watters playing the kids? Collingwood have had 7 debutants this year & we have had 3 & two of them are mature aged recruits!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Austinnn
Club Player

I agree, but maybe at the start of the year they could afford to be a bit more cavalier, now we are only just hanging on to the 8 and it's a fast fall down, the selection group must be thinking more conservatively.

I don't like it really, but I see why they're doing it. I'm really interested in knowing what's keeping Simpkin out, maybe they are just managing him carefully in his first real season.

I think we'll see a big reaction for next week's selection based on the some player's efforts this weekend, I assume that a few have been given this first game back after the break to prove themselves after getting the feedback of the mid-season review, time to tweak their game and a freshen up.

But in terms of the OP I agree that it was a bit more fun with all those prospects in the side rather than the 2nd tier of water-treaders. Hopefully we can get a couple of handy wins under our belt and then go back to that.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I think the club is worried about the amount of fair weather supporters it has, hence development falls way behind winning.
even if ultimately we don't win anything.....It seems the Saints balance sheet is showing a loss which influences selection...

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
hAyES
Club Player

SaintWal wrote:I think that Saad and Terry have been the X factor for us so far.

To me the weak links at the moment are
Milne
Kosi
Gram
Raph
Geary
Schneider
and unfortunately BJ

If I was really looking at changes I would swap Kosi for stanley, Milne for Saad, Simpkin for gram and play him in gram's role.

I would then play Kosi as the sub, which is fine if you get to three quarter time with no injury but otherwise dangerous if you lose a back.

Then I think I would actually play Terry for Schneider

But hey that is me
You're kidding about Schneider right? The guy is all class and was one of our best players against Adelaide.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I suspect that Terry Milera is pretty sore and that is why he is not in the side this week. We all need to remember that even though he is 24yo he is still very young in AFL terms. Young & inexperienced players need to be managed correctly and I have faith in the current coaching/conditioning staff to look after our players !!
I don't. Milera has been ordinary for a number of weeks now. I reckon supporters are still remembering what he did in Rounds 1-5. He may well become a great player for us, but he has some big deficiencies that so many are prepared to gloss over because he has some speed. His decision making and actual aggression at the contest need a lot of work. How could he just be sore after a 16 day break?

Those who think Schneider is a weak link are kidding themselves. He was superb against Adelaide which was his first full game of the year.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Having said all that. leaving Saad out is a big mistake in my opinion. Has definitely earnt his stripes and continues to give us plenty, including fantastic fwd pressure. Can't believe he's not in the starting 18

chook23
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:I'm saving my whinging for 90mins before the bounce. If there's no late changes then I'll be livid because when I saw the team I thought it was 2009.
no we have not won 14 in a row.......................june/july 09 was pretty good time

bad example

saint4life
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Having said all that. leaving Saad out is a big mistake in my opinion. Has definitely earnt his stripes and continues to give us plenty, including fantastic fwd pressure. Can't believe he's not in the starting 18
Here, Here!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SaintWal
Club Player

Schneider is a good fringe finisher. Very like Milne unfortunately and tends to beat up on the lesser lights and has the most unattractive habit of playing for free kicks at crunch times.

westcoast
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:I think the club is worried about the amount of fair weather supporters it has, hence development falls way behind winning.
even if ultimately we don't win anything.....It seems the Saints balance sheet is showing a loss which influences selection...
Bob I reckon you're right on the money. The club slogan for the season is "Be the Future", it needs to be put into practice

SaintWal
Club Player

Fair weather? I am looking forward to next year with harves as captain coach!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Maybe he's resting players with young bodies to get them going later.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:Schneider is a good fringe finisher. Very like Milne unfortunately and tends to beat up on the lesser lights and has the most unattractive habit of playing for free kicks at crunch times.
he was terrible against the Crows...did you watch the game?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintWal
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
SaintWal wrote:Schneider is a good fringe finisher. Very like Milne unfortunately and tends to beat up on the lesser lights and has the most unattractive habit of playing for free kicks at crunch times.
he was terrible against the Crows...did you watch the game?

Yep. I will watch it again at some stage. Yes he had a good game but it does not change my opinion of him. Go further. Was he a good pick up. Yes. Has he been a valuable player for us. Yes he fitted a role. Is he the future going forward. No

SaintWal
Club Player

Moods wrote:Having said all that. leaving Saad out is a big mistake in my opinion. Has definitely earnt his stripes and continues to give us plenty, including fantastic fwd pressure. Can't believe he's not in the starting 18
Spot on

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:
Spot on
SW reckons he is pretty good and the last game he showed that he is still a class above both Saad and Milera, even at this stage. Having said that, I would still like to see Saad get a game and doesn't mean he won't as there will probably be a late change, maybe even two.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintWal
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
SaintWal wrote:
Spot on
SW reckons he is pretty good and the last game he showed that he is still a class above both Saad and Milera, even at this stage. Having said that, I would still like to see Saad get a game and doesn't mean he won't as there will probably be a late change, maybe even two.
Fingers crossed SaintPav. I have a hatred of the Roos that runs deep

Rosco
Club Player

Hopefully Saad is a late in, for anyone

FQF
SS Life Member

Milera does not deserve a place in the team at the moment, simple as that.
Age is important, but when it starts to come before form and team balance then we have succumbed to the fashionable trends of 'blooding' players for no good reason.
As long as we are still in with a chance to play finals this year then the absolute best available team has to be picked every week.
If that means Schneider over Milera and Blake/Ray/Clarke over Simpkin then so be it.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

the coaching panel also have fairly close ' inside' information on a lot of the Roos team-

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107