Using our talls

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Using our talls

As predicted pre-season we are being killed in the ruck and by resting ruckmen and power forwards.

I would love to see:

Wilkes at Full Forward - his leads are strong, creative and dangerous and he puts on 10 x the defensive pressure of Kosi in the same position

Kosi in the backline on the resting ruckman or 6'5" type Power Forward e.g. v North he could play on Petrie or if they play 2 giant ruckman - McIntosh / Goldstein

AT CENTER BOUNCES

Stanley takes the centre bounce leap contest then pushes forward to be a dangerous forward option

McEvoy set up in the space in front of the opposition power forward - moving onto the ball for around the ground rucking

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Austinnn
Club Player

Re: Using our talls

I too would be interested to see that. But Kosi hasn't played as a defender since his first season 11 years ago. I don't know why they never tried him out there after that, maybe he cleaned up too many other defenders going for the ball.

Nice ideas though.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What?

You want someone who moves like a snail on Valium as a defender?

Recipe for complete disaster IMO and not even worth trying.

I'm all for ideas, but this one would kill us. Kosi is a FF or ruckman, absolutely nothing else unfortunately.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Kosi on Petrie. Tell me it is April the first.

felix
Club Player

How about Stanley going back instead of pushing forward , he may be the next Dustin Fletcher all arms
And legs , burning pace ... Would obviously need to work on it but I can't see our defence improving
This year without a tall down back.. Team could look like this

Simpkin Stanley Geary
Dempster fisher Goddard
Dalsanto Hayes. montagna
Milera. Roo Snides
Saad Wilkes Milne

Steven McEvoy armitage

Kosi gram Blake newnes

hAyES
Club Player

So we've got Kosi the statue going into defense, and Stanley as the next Fletcher. I don't think so.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

If Kosi is that slow, what is he doing in the side at all? Surely forwards need some pace too?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I think Kosi is past it as a key forward.

The only other role he can really play is ruck, which I've been urging for a few years now.

Sadly for Kosi, others like McEvoy, Stanley and even Blake now seem preferred options in the ruck.

I don't know where that leaves Kosi.

paddy
Club Player

I think you will find Kosi is back to his best when he is no longer expected in Ruck...

he just isn't good at it, and it knackers him too much to have an impact when he is forward.

The best games that Kosi had this year, were when it was Ben and stanley as ruck 1 and 2...

Kosi can pinch hit from time to time, but he needs to sit in his square and crash packs... that is his role and thats all we need him to do when we run our 3 tall forward line..

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

dragit wrote:If Kosi is that slow, what is he doing in the side at all? Surely forwards need some pace too?
Exactly, he shouldn't be in the side.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He should be back deep FF asap

Austinnn
Club Player

When you put it like that...

too slow for defence, finished as a forward, can't ruck, poor old Kosi; he must really be hopeless. Strange that he keeps getting picked, Watters clearly has no clue.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I hope Kosi has a good match this weekend. Make some of these people eat their words.
If there is any doubt on Roo's fitness, Kosi will be sudden;y very important to the team.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I hope Kosi has a good match this weekend. Make some of these people eat their words.
If their is any doubt on Roo's fitness, Kosi will be sudden;y very important to the team.
I'd like nothing better Barry…

spert
Saintsational Legend

We all would like a bit more out of Kosi, but it aint going to happen at this stage of his career, so Watters will be having a good old think about our talls and who is the most value. I don't see Wilkes as a tall, more a strong key position player who is best value to us at FF. We definately need to drop our rucks into the back half more to put more pressure on the opposition key forwards, or limit the feed from up the ground, and against Adelaide, our forwards and mids just let the Crows run and link up too easily to get the ball into their forward line. I watched the North v Crows game, and I reckon the Crows as a team just took it too easy and North got the jump early- I dont think North will get the same opportunities against us.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Kosi beat Johnathan Brown, when Brown was at his monstrous best, so I wouldn't mind Kosi being tried on the power forwards.
Kosi on Cloke, Petrie etc,, why not ?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

backs need more than stopping power these days so Stanley would be better developed as a backman than Kosi. Still prefer to get Stanley forward with a run in the ruck. Long term would rather a full back type tall to be recruited from out side the club. Kosi started this season well and fell away when used in the ruck. He was injured for large chunks of last season and needs to get back to his best close to goal with the crumbers near him. Saad and Milne at the feet of a crash the packs tall forward sounds like trouble for most back lines.