Farren ray

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jackli

Farren ray

Does anyone know why Ray was dropped?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Farren ray

at a guess... he's a player in his prime and his performances (minus his 1st game) are just ok...

is 'just ok" ok enough or do you sink the extra time into developing someone that can be better than ok.

there's a spot for Ray but he needs to take it and keep it

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think hes important.... Gives flexibility with his ability to be offensive and defensive through the middle.

Knock is disposal

Good for Sandy yesterday

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Yeah he was stiff to be dropped but we ned to get games into players like Newnes they are the future...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
PJ
SS Life Member

I don't think it's about getting games into players so much as we have more players that can play a similar position. Next week if Ben and Sam are available you may see more exclusions that seem unwarranted. That's what happens when you get a bit of depth.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
longtimesaint
Club Player

We have another 6 day break to go to Adelaide and they are comong off a bye.
I think some of the inclusions were done against GC to leave some fresh players for this week.

One year will be our year
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:We have another 6 day break to go to Adelaide and they are comong off a bye.
I think some of the inclusions were done against GC to leave some fresh players for this week.

So you think Cripps will come back in? i doubt it. I think the only changes will be Fisher and Geary if both are fit. Dont reckon the 6 day break will much effect. Not a physical game at all. More like a very hard training run.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Very stiff to be dropped. I'd assumed an injury or illness. Was bog on return, since then very serviceable. Scratching my head?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Played the next day...

He was dropped

longtimesaint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:We have another 6 day break to go to Adelaide and they are comong off a bye.

So you think Cripps will come back in? i doubt it. I think the only changes will be Fisher and Geary if both are fit. Dont reckon the 6 day break will much effect. Not a physical game at all. More like a very hard training run.
I don't think Cripps will come in but ?I think Ray will.
Adelaide have several gun midfielders and Ray can be an effective stopper.
I think McEvoy, Fisher and Ray will all come in.

One year will be our year
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I don't think Cripps will come in but ?I think Ray will.
Adelaide have several gun midfielders and Ray can be an effective stopper.
I think McEvoy, Fisher and Ray will all come in.

But you said it was to have fresh legs. I dont see how bringing Ray will give them fresh legs. And I really doubt they will make 4 changes. 2 for me.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

No point speculating on this... the coaches know more about this than we do

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No point speculating on this... the coaches know more about this than we do

Pretty sure you can speculate on changes. It is after the changes happen and people whinge without knowledge when the problem occurs.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Armo and Ray are battling for the same spot in the seniors, and at the moment Armo is really delivering the goods.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You know P66 sometimes coaches just get it wrong.

Knowledge is something you don't have either..... So your opinion of defending is no better than someone's opinion of challenging....

If you don't think we have made critical mistakes from the box, your delusional.... Sometimes with selection, drafting, tactics there is just a poor decision made..... It is why nothing is certain in footy... Human error

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:You know P66 sometimes coaches just get it wrong.

Knowledge is something you don't have either..... So your opinion of defending is no better than someone's opinion of challenging....

If you don't think we have made critical mistakes from the box, your delusional.... Sometimes with selection, drafting, tactics there is just a poor decision made..... It is why nothing is certain in footy... Human error

Of course my position defending is stronger than opinion arguing unless of the course position arguing knows the game plan, the fitness of players and many other things. My guess is they dont. And coaches make mistakes. Fair dinkum. Would never have guessed but most people claim the mistakes in hindsight. Is not playing Ledger a mistake. Who on here would know but many say it is. I will back that coaches know what they are doing with him. Many said playing Gram and Blake were mistakes. Doesnt look like it from my point of veiw.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You backing the coach, never...

I watched Tom yesterday.... He could easily be playing AFL and is easily better than Cripps.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:You backing the coach, never...

I watched Tom yesterday.... He could easily be playing AFL and is easily better than Cripps.

So why doesnt he play him? Does he like worse players in our side. That is my point. You have no idea why. Neither do I but I aint whinging about it because they have all the facts. Unless you have them you are guessing. It seems every coach we have makes many mistakes and people like you make none. Surprised you have nevr tried to get into the AFL system. Why dont or didnt you?

bergsone
SS Life Member

Seem to remember same thread last year.My opinion hasnt changed,you watch Ray and he has all the ability,and you think he will take next step and become a top liner,but it doesnt happen.1 or 2 good games,couple of average,next he struggling to keep his spot

Hope he doesnt end his career as a GOP,because IMO he is better than that,time is running out?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Was it Round 7 v Carlton, Ray was almost voted best for the Saints? (9 coaches' votes) Maybe he was tipped out for team balance or some other reason, doubt it would be form as I don't think he's played all that poorly since Rnd 7.

No Contract, No contact :shock:
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Yes , was stiff to be dropped , but hopefully this is a good problem to have , experienced players knowing that if they don't perform at their best , someone is just itching to take their spot .
Good also to see the Watters is still going to play a certain amount of kids before the older players , this may change come finals however for the first time in years we can see what the future looks like !

In red white and black from 73
Megsie
Club Player

Lets just wait & see why Farren wasn't playing before slagging the guy.
He's a great "link" man for our side & has been playing very well.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's a question of who does he replace. If Saad is out and Sneids takes his place, Ray should get the Sub role.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

With Steven and Armo becoming regular mid rotations and Newnes and Geary the preferred small defenders and Gram and Gilbert the running back flankers/wingers there doesn't leave any room for Ray. With a fit list he'd be our 25th (thereabouts) player picked. Unless he finds an extra gear then he will remain a depth player.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:Seem to remember same thread last year.My opinion hasnt changed,you watch Ray and he has all the ability,and you think he will take next step and become a top liner,but it doesnt happen.1 or 2 good games,couple of average,next he struggling to keep his spot

Hope he doesnt end his career as a GOP,because IMO he is better than that,time is running out?
Totally agree.

His best is certain 22
Problem is consistency. Ray can go from BOG to "is Farren out there today" pretty quickly. His last game before he was dropped was ok....his first game back sensational...thats his problem.

IF he could string his best together for runs of 4-5 on trot...youd start to say he's earnt some credits.........aka our better players....facts are he doesnt and his next quiet game becomes expected and makes him an easy target to drop - especially in a side toying with its youth for the future...

Only Ray can change that cycle.

“Yeah….nah””