Matt Maguire

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Siposstar#2
Club Player

Matt Maguire

I loved this bloke before he got injured!
Thought he would become a all Australian one day. Wasn't to upset when we gave him away. Do you think now with our lack of height down back he would be getting a game?

Formerly posted as magnifisaint 35
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Matt Maguire

Probably, but Ross Lyon didn't rate him. Not quick enough post-injuries apparently.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I ran a post last week , Bring back the goose !!!
Since maxie retired and we traded the goose , we have had no one capable of playing on power forwards , dawson was supposed to be the answer , but clearly he wasn't .
We dearly need a big fullback as well as another ruckman , hopefully these defiencies be be addressed over the summer .

In red white and black from 73
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I was surprised and disappointed when we got rid of Goose but clearly the right decision. Has done next to nothing at Brisbane and isn't the player he was...

Right decision in the end.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

He was almost BOG for the Lions last week!

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
avid
Club Player

Matt Maguire was just about my favourite player for several years. I'm still feeling the pain of losing him.
But he didn't seem to go all that well at Brisbane, so I thought sadly it was probably the right decision.
My Lions mates tell me now though that he's been in sensational form over the last three weeks -- crunching packs, punching creatively to small men, quelling monster forwards, and even racking up DreamTeam points.
Last edited by avid on Fri 08 Jun 2012 12:03am, edited 1 time in total.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

No. He was finished years ago.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He has been going well this year, after a reasonably 2011.

Been a handy pick up for them at pick 91.... Any pick 91 who plays 50 games would be seen as a success (we took J.Smith, A. Lovett, W.Johnson, A. Pattison all with higher picks)

What he's done is filled in for an injured Dan Merrett in 2011

And now allowed him to go fwd in 2012....

Also, he was worth more than his just his on field... Hugely respected and a favourite.. ... Was a Stk leader in 09 whilst at Sandy

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Yep, I am also delighted that he is going well at the Lions. It was a dreadful injury. However, he is past his prime for us.

Winmar
Club Player

I thought he was going to be a gun before he broke his leg. It's a crying shame. If that hadn't happened he'd probably still be playing for us now.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Always had a lot of time for Maguire, and was sorry to him go. He is playing really well at Brisbane from what I've seen and all reports.
They retained on the list and drafted worse players, some who are now gone - Hard to get big KP players, Saints could probably could use him right now.....

Hold your ground :shock:
Austinnn
Club Player

I was a big fan too. I didn't think he was still playing. As he knows a few of our players' games already I could think of worse ideas, but we already have enough players that age bracket, we'd be better of trading for a younger full back.

but whatever we do, we need to fill Dawson's void (oo-er).

Still, if the Lions wanted him off their hands...

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
St Lenny
Club Player

Sad story for Goose, but he would be the most rudest player I have ever met.

HelenR
Club Player

Have to disagree. Matt was always very nice to my son, who is now 13. He always would have a chat and ask how he was. Always had time to have a photo taken. Last time we saw him was at the GF replay and he was only too happy to sign St Kilda jumper and photos even though at Brisbane. He would have to be one of the nicest footballers. Would love to still have him playing at the Saints.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He has been going well this year, after a reasonably 2011.

Been a handy pick up for them at pick 91.... Any pick 91 who plays 50 games would be seen as a success (we took J.Smith, A. Lovett, W.Johnson, A. Pattison all with higher picks)

What he's done is filled in for an injured Dan Merrett in 2011

And now allowed him to go fwd in 2012....

Also, he was worth more than his just his on field... Hugely respected and a favourite.. ... Was a Stk leader in 09 whilst at Sandy

Could you please provide the entire list of players who have played less games but were higher picks in the draft. For every team.

Thanks.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I felt so uneasy about the decision to let someone go who had grown with the group and had been such an important part of our young team in the 04/05 years. The risk was there that he'd never play again, but surely you'd give him enough time if you rated the bloke. Why would we get rid of someone like Goose when he was just getting back to full fitness?? I always admired Goose's desperation and attack at the footy and it must have really dented his confidence when Lyon gave him the flick...Maybe Lyon didn't judge Goose's character and determination too well.

One thing Goose would never be accused of is being a passenger. Maybe Goose would've had a strong year if he'd stayed and I reckon he could've helped us in 2010 if Lyon showed some faith in him. Goose would have had extra incentive to get his strength and fitness right when he'd seen the team success in 2009. Lyon had guys like Eddy who never played a major role in any win for us in that year...let alone in the finals.

I now have the feeling that we can't afford to be sentimental with guys of Goose age. It's all about the future now and Simpkin is the man that will learn and grow under SW. With Max as the defensive coach and playing alongside Chips of coarse, I reckon Saints fans will have a new backline favourite with Tom and he'll be as loved as Maxy and Goose.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

No point having opinions one way or another

the coaching staff have access to all the relevant info so any opinions we have are pointless... and as a particular forumite will point out, it's wrong of us to discuss this even on a fan forum

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:Sad story for Goose, but he would be the most rudest player I have ever met.
2nd that. Apart from everitt

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Ralphy wrote:
St Lenny wrote:Sad story for Goose, but he would be the most rudest player I have ever met.
2nd that. Apart from everitt
I have to agree about Goose unfortunately, however I have the complete opposite experience of Spider. I only met him once but he was very friendly and charming.

St Lenny
Club Player

I have met Spider many, times and always found him to be good. With Goose I met him several times and always found him to be rude.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Spinner, I provided most of the players STK drafted in the 2009 draft

National
16- A.Lovett....... 0 games........ Delisted
32- N.Winmar.....1 Game
48- B.Peake........48 Games
60- J.Smith.........1 Game..........Delisted
64- A.Pattison.....5 Games.........Delisted
71- W.Johnson....1 Game..........Delisted
Rookie
20- M.Hutchings...0 Games....... Delisted
36- D. Archer......1 Game
69- T.Walsh........0 Games.........Traded
Redrafted
L.Fisher..............0 Games.........Delisted
J.Allen................0 Games.........Delisted

We got 9 players into the club in 2009...... For 56 games........3 of those players remain
Brett Peake is currently at Sandringham and will most likely be delisted at the end of 2012
Daniel Archer will most likely be delisted also
Nicholas Winmar is contracted I believe but could well be put onto the Rookie List

Of the Three players we moved on, Two are stil running around and they have played 90 games and will reach well over 150

Ben Cousins.... Who we did not draft, played 32 games at Richmond

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Spinner, I provided most of the players STK drafted in the 2009 draft

National
16- A.Lovett....... 0 games........ Delisted
32- N.Winmar.....1 Game
48- B.Peake........48 Games
60- J.Smith.........1 Game..........Delisted
64- A.Pattison.....5 Games.........Delisted
71- W.Johnson....1 Game..........Delisted
Rookie
20- M.Hutchings...0 Games....... Delisted
36- D. Archer......1 Game
69- T.Walsh........0 Games.........Traded
Redrafted
L.Fisher..............0 Games.........Delisted
J.Allen................0 Games.........Delisted

We got 9 players into the club in 2009...... For 56 games........3 of those players remain
Brett Peake is currently at Sandringham and will most likely be delisted at the end of 2012
Daniel Archer will most likely be delisted also
Nicholas Winmar is contracted I believe but could well be put onto the Rookie List

Of the Three players we moved on, Two are stil running around and they have played 90 games and will reach well over 150

Ben Cousins.... Who we did not draft, played 32 games at Richmond
No doubt it is a massive c**k up as is the c**k up of not getting Cousins.

JWS did not play a game either. It was worth the gamble in my opinion considering the talent he possessed however if his body couldn't let him play well then it happens.

Looking at that draft now is a bit cringe-worthy considering how we attempted to draft as many mature players as possible to fill a role in the side yadda yadda yadda Ross Lyon speak yadda yadda yadda.

St Lenny
Club Player

I thought Daniel Archer was showing promise, am I wrong.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Arch is still a rookie

After three years on the list, a decision must be made on him. A decision will be made between him and Wilkes, both won't remain in 2013.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

The most glaring thing from that draft in my opinion is the absence of new, young talent. Every draft is the one chance to get young players to your club. Apart from Winmar we were looking at recycled players. A lost opportunity if you ask me. Three years later SW is saying that we don't have enough 30-50 game palyers. They should have come form this draft (or the one before).

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.