Round 11 Team v G Coast - Final

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

avid
Club Player

Re: Round 11 Team v G Coast

I really want to see Raph back in the team -- at least give him a chance to show where he's at!
And Schneiderman.
But Raph's surely earned a place over the last few weeks.
(Once Schneider's fit, he'll get picked pretty automatically.)
I'm hoping for late changes -- Cripps + Newnes out.
No I'm not! Cripps and Newnes should have been EARLY changes, made today -- so they could keep playing, at Sandy. Why fly them both to Qld just for them to sit there?
I think the Saints are in a good place at the moment, but I'm still very edgy about our selection policy -- Raph, Ledger, etc.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Cripps needs to be told

If you come of with an injury, and sit out the rest of the game..... Make sure it's F***ing serious enough to keep you out for a week

Seriously, in about half of his games he cops a game ending injury, or spend time with the trainers only to miraculously recover.... And it seems to be form dependent

I'll say it again

The boy needs to HTFU.... I hope he misses, to justify coming off last great

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Prior to being injured last week, Cripps wasn't going all that well anyway. I'm really surprised he was selected.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Like others, things seem a bit odd. Cripps has been "injured" in each of the past two weeks, so a rest would not go astray. As MB said, it is not as though his recent form demands a game.

So against a light GC team, Schneider may get a run, making 3 small blokes inside the 50?

It could be Raph for Newnes, but a less ferocious game against GC would do Newnes a lot of good from an experience perspective.

elizabethr
Club Player

meher baba wrote:Prior to being injured last week, Cripps wasn't going all that well anyway. I'm really surprised he was selected.
Have you changed your opinion of Armitage at all oh great one? :oops:

nothing to say
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Cripps needs to be told

If you come of with an injury, and sit out the rest of the game..... Make sure it's F***ing serious enough to keep you out for a week

Seriously, in about half of his games he cops a game ending injury, or spend time with the trainers only to miraculously recover.... And it seems to be form dependent

I'll say it again

And you know it wasnt the doctors who decided to take him off. I cant beleive people just assume things like this without any knowledge.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote:
meher baba wrote:Prior to being injured last week, Cripps wasn't going all that well anyway. I'm really surprised he was selected.
Have you changed your opinion of Armitage at all oh great one? :oops:
I'm not setting myself up as anyone but a guy with an opinion, which I'm entitled like everyone else to have.

Not at all. I was always critical of the way Lyon used Armitage who, IMO, should always play in the thick
of it or not at all. He didn't ever seem to have the core fitness to play the sort of running all over the place game that Lyon demanded from him.

He's now playing the role he was born to play and is playing it well. He also looks like he's worked hard and lifted his effort.

Success is now coming to him and it's deserved. But he can't coast now, he has to keep working hard: he isn't one of those guys who commands a place in the top side, he needs to earn it week on week.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
elizabethr
Club Player

Armitage would undoubtedly be the first players picked every week.He gets better with each game and now produces consistently each round.He is playing inside and ouside and is kicking goals and is a barometer as to how the team is going.His critics now must eat theirvwords and concede thatvhe is being groomed ascavyoung leader and capitan of the future.

nothing to say
Megamaguire
Club Player

Elizabeth i tend to agree l that Armo deserves to be picked just about every week now. It's great to see him work his way into being impossible to drop (ie) putting great effort into his game day performances. I feel more confident reg: this team as it transits into an updated version of the X2 GF teams.
I have been really heartened by the exploits of both Armo and the bustler (J. Steven). With Banger retiring and Lenny perhaps 2 yrs away St.Kilda really needed a couple of younguns to carve out their own place in the best 22. When u add to that the sudden inclusion of Milera & Saad injesting another level of possibility up fwd it spells the creation of a new look Saints. The trust Watters has shown in the kids has been obviously a big shot in the arm for them. Stanley suddenly looks more threatening; Simpkin seems to have added a years experience in 1/2 a season and Newness looks like he could continue to survive in the firsts given a bit of luck. If these young uns follow in Armos footsteps i think the Saints under Watters will do well. Personally i'm relieved that Jimmy G. is back as we need the defence to get back to their best. Being defensively competitive without Fischer; Gwilt and Clarke (@ his best) on duty is encouraging too! The one that got away last week most definately hurt - especially the coach i think. 6 : 4 and facing GC would have given Watters a real kick along.

GO ARMO!
GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Cripps needs to be told

I'll say it again

It is bizarre isn't it?

He seemingly gets 'injured' every week and spends major time on the bench. It also stuffs rotations too so it works two-fold.

Was he constantly getting 'injured' at Sandy?

He looked like he had blown his knee out against the Eagles too...really strange.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Personally, I think it's great everyone takes potential injuries so seriously.

Don't want to play any kid through any question marks, St Kilda has been there and done that, and it didn't end up so well.

bakes
Club Player

My guess is that Schneider will be a late replacement for Cripps.

I also reckon (and hope) that Saad will have a night out and kick 5 big ones against the GC kids!! :)
Love his blistering pace.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:Wow! Cripps must be the quickest healer around I thought he did a hammy????

yep. cripps seems to have an injury/sickness every 5 minutes and then do a miraculous recovery. ive been finding it very amusing.
he is always being carried off or 'crippling" around like he has been shot by an elephant gun. even at vfl level he is injured every week. yet he goes to the bench and then 5 minutes later hes running around like nothing happened. the guy is hilarious.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Buckets wrote:Wow! Cripps must be the quickest healer around I thought he did a hammy????

yep. cripps seems to have an injury/sickness every 5 minutes and then do a miraculous recovery. ive been finding it very amusing.
he is always being carried off or 'crippling" around like he has been shot by an elephant gun. even at vfl level he is injured every week. yet he goes to the bench and then 5 minutes later hes running around like nothing happened. the guy is hilarious.

How do you know that with the VFL? Dont you live in WA?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

How do you know that with the VFL? Dont you live in WA?
oh here we go! pluggs going the personal snipe rather than sticking to the issue. so am i wrong about cripps?

how about you address the substance of what i said rather than just trying to "discredit" me.

in any case i only just moved to wa a few months ago.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 08 Jun 2012 5:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

elizabethr
Club Player

Cripps might be an abbreviation for ''Crippled''.

nothing to say
SaintlySaint85
Club Player

ducks and drakes. i'm betting that cripps probably didn't make the flight up.
he's obviously in the coach's preferred 22.. i remember in particular against the eagles he was instrumental in our comeback.
handy player, would like to see him fit and raring to go. he's an asset.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote:Armitage would undoubtedly be the first players picked every week.He gets better with each game and now produces consistently each round.He is playing inside and ouside and is kicking goals and is a barometer as to how the team is going.His critics now must eat theirvwords and concede thatvhe is being groomed ascavyoung leader and capitan of the future.
God you waffle on…

If you aren't his Mum, you must be his sister…

He definitely deserves his spot at the moment, but in 5 out of 10 games this year he has had under 20 touches…

He has played some great games this year but no, he is not playing elite football consistently - yet.

I can still think of at least 10 players that would be picked before him, though I hope he does become first picked one day. Maybe even capitan.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote:Armitage would undoubtedly be the first players picked every week.He gets better with each game and now produces consistently each round.He is playing inside and ouside and is kicking goals and is a barometer as to how the team is going.His critics now must eat theirvwords and concede thatvhe is being groomed ascavyoung leader and capitan of the future.

Very big call about a player that has been, on balance disappointing over 5 previous seasons. He has been good so far this year, and his place is safe in the team for now. That's all.

"One of the first players picked"? Yes, after (assuming everyone is fit) Hayes, Riewoldt, Fisher, BJ, Joey, Blake, Dal, Milne, Kosi, McEvoy, Gwilt, Steven, Dempster and probably CJ, Gilbert and Gram.

- Jonathan Swift
bakes
Club Player

I'm a big fan of Armitage based on his hardness at the ball.
Players like Armitage and Hayes, who show extreme courage and never flinch, are benchmarks for the team.
They lift their team mates around them due to these courageous acts.
Other players who fit this bill are Geary and CJ. Recent past players like Andrew Thompson and Stevie Baker were loved.
Personally, I love these type of players that play like real men, and for that reason alone, they would be some of the first I'd pick if I were coach.
Everybody will rank player attributes in different ways and rank some attributes as more important than others: strength, speed, courage, skill, endurance etc.
It's about finding a team with the right balance.
I think our team sometimes lacks a certain 'mongrel', and that's why I love how Armitage plays because he fights tooth and nail for the ball.
I've said this before and got mocked for it: Armitage would be the second player I'd pick in the team, only after Hayes 8-)

elizabethr
Club Player

dragit wrote:
God you waffle on…

He definitely deserves his spot at the moment, but in 5 out of 10 games this year he has had under 20 touches…

He has played some great games this year but no, he is not playing elite football consistently - yet.

I can still think of at least 10 players that would be picked before him, though I hope he does become first picked one day. Maybe even capitan.
Would be picked well before the effeminate little Joey who could well be finished up at the end of the year Mrs Montagna.
And if you must know i am actually his maiden Great Aunt Edna Elizabeth Sidebottom! :roll:

nothing to say
elizabethr
Club Player

meher baba wrote:

Very big call about a player that has been, on balance disappointing over 5 previous seasons. He has been good so far this year, and his place is safe in the team for now. That's all.

"One of the first players picked"? Yes, after (assuming everyone is fit) Hayes, Riewoldt, Fisher, BJ, Joey, Blake, Dal, Milne, Kosi, McEvoy, Gwilt, Steven, Dempster and probably CJ, Gilbert and Gram.
Pfftt you are such a poor judge of footballers..at least half of those will be gone for whatever reason within 2 years.
He was crucified by the worthless Lyon and will only go upwards and onwards from here!
Be a man or whatever you are and admit you got it wrong regarding a player yet again.. :P

nothing to say
dragit
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote:
dragit wrote:
God you waffle on…

Would be picked well before the effeminate little Joey who could well be finished up at the end of the year Mrs Montagna.
And if you must know i am actually his maiden Great Aunt Edna Elizabeth Sidebottom! :roll:
Funny, cause while not being extraordinary this year, Joey has only had 2 games under 20 touches, compared to Armo's 50% strike rate… He's been exactly what Armo hasn't - consistent.
Armo is going alright, but he isn't Lenny Hayes like you make out, nor is Montagna - Aaron Fiora either…

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote:
meher baba wrote:

Pfftt you are such a poor judge of footballers..at least half of those will be gone for whatever reason within 2 years.
He was crucified by the worthless Lyon and will only go upwards and onwards from here!
Be a man or whatever you are and admit you got it wrong regarding a player yet again.. :P
Geez..... I aint messin with this chic...

“Yeah….nah””
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
elizabethr wrote:waffle, waffle, waffle…
Geez..... I aint messin with this chic...
I know, she is completely mental, can't distinguish now from 2 years time.