Goddard/Roo switch?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddard/Roo switch?

bobmurray wrote:
SainterK wrote:They both played probably their best games for the year where they were.

I still think Goddard could be a ripper CHF, maybe an option when Roo retires.
If BJ walks then he won't be a ripper for us, in any position...
Don't reckon he will walk.

Saintersss
Club Player

Is this thread a joke? You can say Roo has kicked terribly this year, and maybe he has, but he is currently 4th in a coleman. Not to mention, kicking goals isn't his greatest strength, but his lead up work to provide an option for the defence and midfield, which he did brilliantly against Richmond. Ranked equal 4th for Goal Assists.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
SainterK wrote:They both played probably their best games for the year where they were.

I still think Goddard could be a ripper CHF, maybe an option when Roo retires.
If BJ walks then he won't be a ripper for us, in any position...
Don't reckon he will walk.
maybe he will run..... :lol:

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

if the umpire had done the right thing all night and did something about Roo being dragged out of marking contests this thread wouldn't exist.

SuperSaint66
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:Roo can't bend over any more and his handballs leave a lot to be desired. I just wish he would practice his goal kicking better somehow. When you need a captains goal he'll let you down too often.
Agree re. goal kicking. A captain's goal can lift the whole team. Roo (& a few others) need to practise set shots for goal.

Buckets
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:We lost the game because we didnt have a FB or a ruckman or both not because of BJ playing where he did or Rooy playing up forward. Matter of fact BJ was clearly our best player IMO and set up many goals. No to moving either.
I honestly thought that in the end decision making by some senior players, Roo, Joey, Milney. And bad goal kicking Roo and Kosi hurt us severely, 16.17 and at least 5 of those 17 were soda's.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
We should never have got that close. Anyway it had nothing to do with BJ or Rooy swapping positions.
You are very negative on the teams hunger and determination, and the talent on the list. The players had the courage to fight and they had the ability to win because they earnt the right with some magnificent fighting spirit. "Never have got that close" You hear that sh1t at the ground from all the negative supporters as soon as we are a couple of goals behind...they all declare; "it's all over!" Fudge off please. We fought back from 20 points down ( and did it once in the 3rd and once in the last) and the lead changed how many times in the last 10 minutes?

Afar as BJ up forward. Why not? I think he kicked 5 in a half one day in 2010 when Roo wasn't there. Now that Roo is showing these signs of being on the decline and missing shots that sap the energy from his teammates...you can't ignore it. The buddy's and the Jack reiwoldts and the stars of the game can be the difference. BJ's star is still shining brighter than ever, so I say give BJ that central role of a CHF and make him the focus and let's see what he can produce. Roo won't have to be relied upon to kick as many goals and he is a great kick when it comes to setting up the forwards inside 50, so I reckon it'll work if the coaches have the courage to try it and the players themselves have buy in.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
We should never have got that close. Anyway it had nothing to do with BJ or Rooy swapping positions.
You are very negative on the teams hunger and determination, and the talent on the list. The players had the courage to fight and they had the ability to win because they earnt the right with some magnificent fighting spirit. "Never have got that close" You hear that sh1t at the ground from all the negative supporters as soon as we are a couple of goals behind...they all declare; "it's all over!" Fudge off please. We fought back from 20 points down ( and did it once in the 3rd and once in the last) and the lead changed how many times in the last 10 minutes?

Afar as BJ up forward. Why not? I think he kicked 5 in a half one day in 2010 when Roo wasn't there. Now that Roo is showing these signs of being on the decline and missing shots that sap the energy from his teammates...you can't ignore it. The buddy's and the Jack reiwoldts and the stars of the game can be the difference. BJ's star is still shining brighter than ever, so I say give BJ that central role of a CHF and make him the focus and let's see what he can produce. Roo won't have to be relied upon to kick as many goals and he is a great kick when it comes to setting up the forwards inside 50, so I reckon it'll work if the coaches have the courage to try it and the players themselves have buy in.

You know why BJ shouldnt be up forward. because he is best for the side as a set up player. I have no idea why people think BJ would be good up forward when even Rooy and Kosi struggle to kick bags of goals. BJ is far to slow on the lead to be a marking forward so he would just be playing a sweeping type forward role. That isnt what the side needs and to argue is basically arguing against our last 3 coaches as apart from cameo's he hasnt played forward. BJ and Rooy have both had good to very good years and people want to move them. Laughable.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Roo missed some shots on goal that BJ most probably wouldn't have....As far as our last 3 coaches, well I reckon BJ only arrived as a player in the last 5 years and it had nothing to do with Lyon's influence, it had more to do BJ's maturity. His role as a utility and his position was governed by necessity imo, and circumstances of where he fitted in with Rooy being recognised as the one of the best CHF's of his day and Kosi and Gehrig before him, owning the FF spot.

Just getting back to the switch and say the impact on matches....let's have a think about who missed some shots on goal against the Tigers when we had the momentum and we had the chance to get ahead in a meaningful way...Apart from Roo, Sipposs comes to mind in that 3rd quarter when he had a few shots and missed. Scoreboard pressure and making the most of your opportunities is what wins matches. Now, just replace Roo and Sipposs to the centre and to the half back line, and stick BJ forward of centre and I reckon BJ will be more damaging to the opposition as a forward for us than he is a set-up player...that's all