Ruck/Key Defender Mismanagement

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Ruck/Key Defender Mismanagement

Broc McCauley, Mark Austin, Michael Coad.

All three have played senior footy this year at their clubs, and all three would probably be getting a look in at St Kilda under current circumstances.

We have immense midfield depth at the moment, and whilst the injuries to all of Stanley, McEvoy and Fisher could not be foreseen, I don't think we managed our depth needs very well. Dunell is doing well at VFL level but not getting close to a game as he is surplus to needs, and hence I argue a poor rookie selection ahead of the three players I have mentioned above.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ruck/Key Defender Mismanagement

A rookie could not have played yet for us.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

dcstkfc wrote:Broc McCauley, Mark Austin, Michael Coad.

All three have played senior footy this year at their clubs, and all three would probably be getting a look in at St Kilda under current circumstances.

We have immense midfield depth at the moment, and whilst the injuries to all of Stanley, McEvoy and Fisher could not be foreseen, I don't think we managed our depth needs very well. Dunell is doing well at VFL level but not getting close to a game as he is surplus to needs, and hence I argue a poor rookie selection ahead of the three players I have mentioned above.
Hi dcstkfc, I can certainly see your reasoning, but for mine, not at the expense of Sam Dunnell...

Broc played a fair game against us last year, but (from all I've heard) he's a potential GOP at best. I know zero about the other two blokes, so can't possibly comment on their prospects.

What I would say though, is that one of those three would have to be John McIntosh reincarnated for me to want them ahead of Sam Dunnell! (Even then I'd still want to find a place on the list for Sam.) From what Iittle I've seen and the fair bit more that I've heard, Sam will (way more likely than not) be an absolute star and a match winner. I'm excited...!

As a bonus, Essn'Dumb are supposedly upset they didn't get him. (Eat your blackened hearts out guys and suck in some more of those av' gas fumes at training..., like you did with Seb, youse had youse chances... :twisted: )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

As members I really think we deserve an answer as to WHY THIS WAS ALLOWED TO OCCUR?

The club want to reach out to their membership and supporters, now is the time to start being transparent and state WHY they chose to leave such gaping whole in our list ?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:As members I really think we deserve an answer as to WHY THIS WAS ALLOWED TO OCCUR?

The club want to reach out to their membership and supporters, now is the time to start being transparent and state WHY they chose to leave such gaping whole in our list ?
Tell me you are joking. You expect the club to tell you why we didnt recruit a certain type of player because you give the club a few dollars. What else should they tell us. I want them to give me details as to why we lost to PA and why Danny Ryan isnt our runner anymore.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I blame Ross Lyin'

Took off and took Zac with him, who, at a pinch can play ruck quite well. He's tall and has a good spring. Even Tommy Walsh would have provided a strong body at the contests.

I wouldn't lumber Pelchen or Watters with any blame. The salary cap situation was a mess and Watters was thrown in at the deep end with Walsh already gone and Zac on the way

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:A rookie could not have played yet for us.
Is that because of our veterans list being full?

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:

I have no idea. I thought everyone seemed to say on here we had a full list and you cant upgrade unless you have a LTI or after round 11.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:As members I really think we deserve an answer as to WHY THIS WAS ALLOWED TO OCCUR?

Tell me you are joking. You expect the club to tell you why we didnt recruit a certain type of player because you give the club a few dollars. What else should they tell us. I want them to give me details as to why we lost to PA and why Danny Ryan isnt our runner anymore.
He's too slow plus he wanted too much

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Thanks for that but it is the clubs job to tell me that not you.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I want a personal apology delivered on hands and knees for the move to Seaford and the fazing out of wooly jumpers. I demand they correspond now or I will hate them all forever and won't attend any football matches until Nettlefold succumbs to my petulant rants.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:

I have no idea. I thought everyone seemed to say on here we had a full list and you cant upgrade unless you have a LTI or after round 11.
Fair enough. Pretend it's a week later.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Plugger - I dont think it would hurt them (BAINS/PELCHEN) to forward an email to members anwering there obvious list management blunder! I dont believe football clubs should follow the 'Marionette Management' style. They keep suggesting how important there members are to them but it is totally a 1 way street as far as I'm concerned!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Plugger - I dont think it would hurt them (BAINS/PELCHEN) to forward an email to members anwering there obvious list management blunder! I dont believe football clubs should follow the 'Marionette Management' style. They keep suggesting how important there members are to them but it is totally a 1 way street as far as I'm concerned!

And just give us your words of wisdom of what this email should say.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Really it comes down to who was available when they got their selections they probably had a ruck ready as a late rookie or preseason pick up but the cards fell wrong when the players they were watching got snagged earlier than expected. Over all I'm extremely happy with the way we recruited for this year.

If a quality player isn't available you don't load the list for the sake of it. Minchington might be a gun and may not have made it if we got some dud reject that couldn't play a role in a second rate club. Sikora may be an option as a back up ruckman next year out of sandy.

They may have been confident that Zac would stay and may have been played by his management. I'm sure they were hoping they wouldn't have any deficiencies in their list but it's partially a gamble. We played against Freo who have a massive ruck and a developing one and won the clearances, maybe they thought they could cover for a year and hope Big mac held up.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I suggest that they must have believed Lever would be a ruckman.

Austinnn
Club Player

If the management have to explain every decision they make to their supporters, then we'll never get anywhere as a club.

Let them get on with it. Mistakes will be made, as they are in every club every year. Let's save our mob outrage for the really big issues once every 2-3 years and not cheapen it by turning it into FAUXRAGE.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Austin is doing all right at the Dogs, filling a need for them. they just have a lot of needs...

We have always struggled to draft ruckmen and nothing has changed....

They deliberately drafted a majority of mediums and smalls, Elshaug or Pelchen would have to feel the need to let their members know
why they drafted as they did...

Why they were prepared to leave holes in the structure...

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
kalsaint
Club Player

What I would say though, is that one of those three would have to be John McIntosh reincarnated for me to want them ahead of Sam Dunnell! (Even then I'd still want to find a place on the list for Sam.) From what Iittle I've seen and the fair bit more that I've heard, Sam will (way more likely than not) be an absolute star and a match winner. I'm excited...!

As a bonus, Essn'Dumb are supposedly upset they didn't get him. (Eat your blackened hearts out guys and suck in some more of those av' gas fumes at training..., like you did with Seb, youse had youse chances... :twisted: )[/quote]

That is good to hear. :twisted: :mrgreen: :evil:

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency