We should make a play for a backman

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Legendary
Club Player

Re: We should make a play for a backman

How many goals did Riewoldt kick because he actually won a contest with Simpkin?

Jack kicked 2 "over the back" where he ran into an open goal, 1 on Gilbert and 1 on Gwilt ... so that's 4 at most that he kicked on Simpkin, although I don't think that you can really count his huge leap & mark, not many defenders would have stopped that.

We need another key defender, but not because Simpkin isn't capable. It's just because Sam Fisher is too valuable to have sitting deep in defence playing 1-1, and because if he gets injured we are dramatically short in the back line.

I don't mind us drafting a young kid, I don't think the situation is that dire ... imagine how much better Simpkin will be after a full season this year. If we can keep Fisher & Simpkin on the park next year, then it will give a youngster some time to develop.

elvis lives
Club Player

How the need for a key backman wasn't bleedingly obvious to Pelchen and watters both before and after we lost Zac is an absolute mystery. That, and the absence of a second ruck, is going to hurt us throughout the year and could have been avoided

I am marching in the Saints army
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote:
BigMart wrote:Ferguson plays a lot like Gilbert.... Tall running utility who can mark. But is not KPP size

We have a glut of medium/tall defenders.... Not one power defender
194cm isn't big enough for you?
Yes he is tall but is pencil thin with no frame - as stated very much like Gilbert will never be strong enough for big forwards!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
BigMart wrote:Ferguson plays a lot like Gilbert.... Tall running utility who can mark. But is not KPP size

We have a glut of medium/tall defenders.... Not one power defender
194cm isn't big enough for you?
Yes he is tall but is pencil thin with no frame - as stated very much like Gilbert will never be strong enough for big forwards!

You never saw Corey McKernan play?