We should make a play for a backman

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

We should make a play for a backman

We seem to have the nucleus of a good side...

McEvoy approaching his prime with Stanley coming on (though more ruck depth is def req)

Our star mids continue to persevere with promising new talent in Steven, Armitage, and a few other potentials

Got some run in the forward line and a few emerging medium sized backman too

We don't however have a great KPP backman and don't really have anyone coming through.

I know it's meant to be a super draft but even if we take one with our first pick, he'll still be 3-4yrs away minimum + Blake will retire soon one would imagine and Simpkin isn't the right size.
I imagine we want to persevere with Rhys as forward/ruck rather than def (though I wouldn't mind seeing it in the preseason... afterall how many tall KP running FB are there?)

Gilbert can't play key back... nor can Dempster.

Losing Dawson for nothing really hurt.

IMO with the right management, this squad can have a crack at a flag next season (though I also think we're a show this season with no clear standout) providing we fill some holes and the youngsters continue to improve.

In my opinon we should make a play for a full back trade some players to ease cap space if need be. Really find it hard to believe that we're so stretched in the salary cap... gotta wonder wehre that money is going

A Frawley/Trengrove... maybe even a Silvagni (though he's not as good but would be cheaper esp if he remains on the outs overthere)

groupie1
Club Player

Re: We should make a play for a backman

Simpkin is the new Max Hudghton... who ended up playing a career as full-back; with Penny, Shanahan, Dawson, even Gehrig in between. I know there is a size differential but Hudghton made a career of it.
I personally don't see the need for a monster FB anymore. Between Gilbert/Fisher/Blake/Gwilt and Simpkin there is enough height to cover as long as we always get a third man back to cover. one-on-one Simpkin shows good smarts.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
groupie1
Club Player

although, if we could trade Montagna for the Adelaide defender who left for one of the new teams, I'd be up for that, in anticipation of a Blake retirement.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Hudghton was a freak though

not many could do what he did

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

groupie1 wrote:Simpkin is the new Max Hudghton... who ended up playing a career as full-back; with Penny, Shanahan, Dawson, even Gehrig in between. I know there is a size differential but Hudghton made a career of it.
I personally don't see the need for a monster FB anymore. Between Gilbert/Fisher/Blake/Gwilt and Simpkin there is enough height to cover as long as we always get a third man back to cover. one-on-one Simpkin shows good smarts.
So you wouldnt want Taylor or Lonegan Geelong, Glass Schofield or McKenzie WCE, Rutten Crows, Pears or Fletcher Bombers, Brown Pies - point is they are all talls who play tall. We have no one to play on the larger key forwards!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

is there a mid year draft??

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

No midyear draft.
Jackson Ferguson, at 194cm, seems to be coming along nicely. Might be ready to be blooded next season.

Hallalj#3
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:No midyear draft.
Jackson Ferguson, at 194cm, seems to be coming along nicely. Might be ready to be blooded next season.
Good call.. Looks the goods..

matrix
Saintsational Legend

wow
theres no mid year draft

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ferguson plays a lot like Gilbert.... Tall running utility who can mark. But is not KPP size

We have a glut of medium/tall defenders.... Not one power defender

maverick
Saintsational Legend

A few teams need them, who is a realistic target?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:although, if we could trade Montagna for the Adelaide defender who left for one of the new teams, I'd be up for that, in anticipation of a Blake retirement.

Is that Bock? Hasn't he done a Goose Mc Guire on his leg? Jay Lever is a potential long term FB

PJ
SS Life Member

i'd like to think Ferg will get a crack next year. If Watters keeps building the team defence I don't think you need a stand out gorilla. our defence is still not whole at atm. Fisher = absent, Gwilt = not quite up to speed but improving, Newnes = developing, Geary = injured. Plenty of up side

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Ferguson plays a lot like Gilbert.... Tall running utility who can mark. But is not KPP size

194cm isn't big enough for you?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:Simpkin is the new Max Hudghton... who ended up playing a career as full-back; with Penny, Shanahan, Dawson, even Gehrig in between. I know there is a size differential but Hudghton made a career of it.

Sorry but why?

Max had enormous closing speed, and could reel in forwards that had jumped away from him. Simpkin simply does not.

Max became one of the best spoilers ever....maybe Simpkin will, and maybe not...but he does not have Max's speed.

Simpkin is undersized to play FB. He does not have Max's spped...or Trevor Barkers magnifcent leap.... or Mal Michael enormous strength.

Simpkin is not the new "Max", but he can be the new "Blake" who takes the third tall, medium or occasional small.

Big forwards have been monstering us this season... Buddy, Cox, Riewoldt....

Even Anthony who has done nothing for years came on and kicked 2 goals against us.

Our other tall backs in Fisher and Gilbert are more interceptors than Full backs.

We need a genuine Full Back to complement them.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
BigMart wrote:Ferguson plays a lot like Gilbert.... Tall running utility who can mark. But is not KPP size

I think he means musle mass.
Ferg is very young.
It is no accident that FB' often hit there straps when they area bit older and muscled up.

There are exceptions like Max and Fletcher.

Ferg I have great hopus for..but at seasons start he was only 85kg. That may take at least another two pre-seasons to muscle up. He may well however be more suited to CHB than FB.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Richter
SS Life Member

Whilst a rady made KPP back would be a handy addition, I don't think it is an area where we would get enough bang for our buck right now. Retaining Stanley and BJ, and recruiting a 18 yo potential CHF and mids to take over from our core (Roo, Kosi, Lenny, Joey, Dal) who will be retiring over the next 2-5 years is more important.

Roo, Kosi ---- Stanley, Siposs, Markworth... one or two more prospects would be nice over the next two drafts
Milne ----- Saad, Milera... already covered this year

Lenny, Joey, Dal ---- Ross, Ledger, Cripps... 2 or 3 more would be good as we have no clue how good any of these boys will turn out to be

Ruck --- a mature back up and a lower end draftee would be sensible

Tall backman

I count that as being 8 over the next 2 years... about right and with a supposed super draft just the right timing for us.
Last edited by Richter on Sun 03 Jun 2012 12:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Richter
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:

I think he means musle mass.
Ferg is very young.
It is no accident that FB' often hit there straps when they area bit older and muscled up.

There are exceptions like Max and Fletcher.

Ferg I have great hopus for..but at seasons start he was only 85kg. That may take at least another two pre-seasons to muscle up. He may well however be more suited to CHB than FB.
Agreed, more of a potential upgrade on Gilbert/Clarke/Blake/Simpkin. Who knows, in time may develop in to the long term Chips replacement.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i genuinely believe ferg will be the real deal.
have a look at his birth date. he is young and good!

defacto
Club Player

i think we will draft a ready made backman and a ready made ruck.

i think we will make a play for silvagni from the dockers who has been ostracised by ross. i think we'll find the ruck from the vfl/sanfl/wafl like we did with milera/saad.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Silvani is ribbish... And is not a big bodied defender as its been established we're lacking... Simkpin is a far better prospect...

Simpkin was beaten on Friday night, but Jack's tally was a slightly fortuitous one with a few over the tops and off the pack goals.. Very well played by Jack, but just one of those nights for Tom...

A Frawley like back is what we need... If only he was Danny's son, not his nephew... In that, a handy father son pick up would come in handy at some stage to, but thats a whole new topic..

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Silvagni looked ok to me. Jay Lever will be a KP in the future as he was more a KP played as a ruck where his stocks dropped. He is a long way off but is tall and rangy and could be a Dustin Fletcher type eventually.

defacto
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:Silvani is ribbish... And is not a big bodied defender as its been established we're lacking... Simkpin is a far better prospect...

Simpkin was beaten on Friday night, but Jack's tally was a slightly fortuitous one with a few over the tops and off the pack goals.. Very well played by Jack, but just one of those nights for Tom...

A Frawley like back is what we need... If only he was Danny's son, not his nephew... In that, a handy father son pick up would come in handy at some stage to, but thats a whole new topic..
really? says who? silvagni is 191cm and 90kg. glass the best FB in the league is 192 and 94kg.

silvagni has mostly played FB/CHB in the vfl before being drafted to freo

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Sorry but why?

Max had enormous closing speed, and could reel in forwards that had jumped away from him. Simpkin simply does not.

Max became one of the best spoilers ever....maybe Simpkin will, and maybe not...but he does not have Max's speed.

Simpkin is undersized to play FB. He does not have Max's spped...or Trevor Barkers magnifcent leap.... or Mal Michael enormous strength.

Simpkin is not the new "Max", but he can be the new "Blake" who takes the third tall, medium or occasional small.

Big forwards have been monstering us this season... Buddy, Cox, Riewoldt....

Even Anthony who has done nothing for years came on and kicked 2 goals against us.

Our other tall backs in Fisher and Gilbert are more interceptors than Full backs.

We need a genuine Full Back to complement them.
We do need a key back but not from the Under 18's, if the club wants to fix that weakness for next season...

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

how quickly we forget
we had one, Mat Maguire
he could have played out his career (& earnt us a father/som)
while we developed a kid over the three years...
another player we burnt contract wise

Seeya