Metro Trains should rot in hell!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ice Wolf
Club Player

Metro Trains should rot in hell!

I've had it up to the neck with the poor service after St Kilda home games. I've learnt not to expect much but last night they went too far by blatantly lying.

They told everyone on Platform 13 that the Flinders Street train that was the 1st to enter the station (20 mins after the game mind you) would be continuing on to Frankston and to get on it. When we arrived at Flinders St we were informed that the train was terminating and not taking passengers & that we would have to catch the next Frankston train. We were eventually able to fit on the 3rd (2nd) Frankston bound train 40min later.

I'm use to them screwing us around and trying to mislead people by getting them to change trains at Flinders Street but not out right lying which is what they did last night.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Metro Trains should rot in hell!

Seeing that they have absolutely no idea what they are doing, I doubt if they were lying. The same incompetents having been running the show for years, despite changes of ownership or franchisee. They don't seem to realise that the end of a game can be predicted fairly accurately by getting hold a new wizz bang piece of technology called a radio. If the score is close, nobody leaves early. If the score is not, a number of the losing team supporters will leave early. Of course, the decision of Metro to schedule less football specials hasn't helped, except their bottom line.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

I wondered why there were so many of you standing over on Platform 13 for a train that was only going to Flinders Street only.
If you're trying to get a Sandy trian, hop on Pakenham/Frankston and change at Richmond or South Yarra.

The problem is that unless you are familiar with the directions of these trains on a Friday night, it can be the opposite direction on a Saturday or a Sunday. At least you didn't end up in North Melbourne which has been known to happen in the past.

But I agree with you, not many customer service staff around last night, zero announcements which is crap for a public transport company. But hey, that's what we have to deal with on a daily basis. So do something about it and hit their complaint website.

Now if you want me to start on Myki and the shambles at the barriers just give me the word......

Ice Wolf
Club Player

Usually I wouldn't believe a word they say but they were adamant that the train would be continuing on to Frankston.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

The other issue I noticed is that I doubt there were any added "footy specials" as I got on what as described as the 1033 (or so) Pakenham and the next train to follow was the 1104.
Are they serious to think the public should expect to wait 30 mins for the next train to get home?
Hang on we are talking Metro trains, the new Connex, so maybe they didn't run football specials because they didn't think a 50 000 attendance would require extra services.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Ice Wolf wrote:Usually I wouldn't believe a word they say but they were adamant that the train would be continuing on to Frankston.
Well Ice Wolf all I can suggest is make the phone call or send a complaint via their website. www.metrotrains.com.au

Or if you live along the Frankston line, a word to the local MP might start to ring bells, because a few of those Liberal MPs who won seats along the Frankston line have to be starting to feel a little nervous with discontented constituants.

That is unless Geoff Shaw is your MP, you might be able to borrow his parliamentary vehicle seeing he lends it out to his business interests.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

ozrulestrace wrote:
Ice Wolf wrote:Usually I wouldn't believe a word they say but they were adamant that the train would be continuing on to Frankston.
Well Ice Wolf all I can suggest is make the phone call or send a complaint via their website. http://www.metrotrains.com.au

Or if you live along the Frankston line, a word to the local MP might start to ring bells, because a few of those Liberal MPs who won seats along the Frankston line have to be starting to feel a little nervous with discontented constituants.

That is unless Geoff Shaw is your MP, you might be able to borrow his parliamentary vehicle seeing he lends it out to his business interests.
Live along the Stony Point line unfortunately. Have already put in a complaint via Public Transport Victoria website.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

do what i do, go out for a bite to eat or a drink after the game and let the crowds die down... runs a lot smoother after that

Ice Wolf
Club Player

skeptic wrote:do what i do, go out for a bite to eat or a drink after the game and let the crowds die down... runs a lot smoother after that
So I would get home at 2-3am then?

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:do what i do, go out for a bite to eat or a drink after the game and let the crowds die down... runs a lot smoother after that
Which is fine if you don't need to travel to the end of the line. I squeezed onto the 11:04 & got to Berwick at midnight. I then have to drive a further 15 mins or so. If I had to wait for the next train it would be almost 1:00 by the time I got home.

Their incompetence coping with the normal running of trains is infuriating not to mention MYKI. :roll: :x

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

I waited about 20 mins after the game. Eventually got to platform 9 for the Ringwood line As the Glen Wavery train departed at about 10.50pm the announcment came over that the 11.06 Belgrave was cancelled and the next train was at 11.38pm -I got home at 1am.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Well I wasn't there last night.

I try and talk to the platform controllers at the front end of
The platform to find out what's happening.

They are in radio contact with the main controllers. Gotta keep the pressure on them - it's a good direct way of tackling the fucknuckles.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'd prefer not to go to the footy than catch a train...

I'd never get on a train at Southern Cross either if i did catch one after a game

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Pwoit wrote:I waited about 20 mins after the game. Eventually got to platform 9 for the Ringwood line As the Glen Wavery train departed at about 10.50pm the announcment came over that the 11.06 Belgrave was cancelled and the next train was at 11.38pm -I got home at 1am.

That's the part that can be frustrating they cancel the 1106 Belgrave and there isn't another train sitting in a siding that can be roused from its snooze and hit the tracks as the little bit late 1106. That is the pathetic part of the public transport system.

It's bad enough I reach Caulfield at 11pm but for those on the Pakenham/Frankston/Stony Point you cannot be home before midnight.

From observation it's clear less and less children are making it to these games with the parents or grandparents as it is way too late for them especially if they have sport the next morning.

A conspiracy between the AFL & Channel 7 to boost the ratings?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Yes, I had the same experience as the OP. I live in Bonbeach and the train which should have gone to Frankston terminated at Flinders St. Then, ten fifteen minutes later, the first train going to Frankston through Flinders St was as full as a goog and nobody could get on. In fact, we were lucky to fit onto the second train that came through 20 mins later as well. Talk about packed. And there were only 49,000 there, it wasn't like a final or anything.

Metro are an absolute disgrace and must run more 'football specials' after games, using data to determine which lines receive those extra services; i.e. Essendon-St Kilda, 6 extra trains leaving Southern Cross on the Craigieburn, Pakenham, Frankston and Sandringham lines the hour after the match to ensure supporters get home safely and within a reasonable time frame. It isn't an unreasonabe request, since they hold the whole city to ransom by ordering everybody in the city of Greater Melbourne to buy their crappy Myki cards.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.