Baptism of fire

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Baptism of fire

For

Jack Newnes..... He was under the pump early, was beaten in most contested situations, but kept going and tried hard..... He is not ready for AFL footy.... But will clearly be a player, very good with footy in hand.

Cripps..... Another unfinished game, his body is fragile, not sure he confident in himself as a player or physically, I'll be honest, I have seen nothing from him to suggest anything.... But he is young yeah....

Gilbert.... He's not a kid, but is playing like an unsure 1st year player

Milera.... Inconsistent night, a few mistakes creeping in.... With a bit more experience, he will become more than a talent

Saad.... Past the test tonight

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Baptism of fire

Agree with all.

Newnes will be better for the game. Coughed it up under pressure but kept at it and looked poised for a first year player. A bit to go though

Milera was a bit inconsistant and could help but think Roos spray last week has put him in two minds when going for goal.

Saad was a real livewire with his speed.

Cripps agreed

Gilbo - can take a grab, looks indecisive. Really out of form. Would be out if we had anyone to replace him.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
rexy
SS Life Member

Good asessments all round, Newnes will definately make it IMO, Saad is special and Millera doing enough. Cripps needs a week off all together and then a run at Sandy. Sippos must start on the ground next week IMO. Would like to see Ledger get a run next week! Dont know who to drop for Fisher and Mac who are walk ups and then there is Geary & Stanley who seem to be part of Watters plans and Schneider and Raph who have played a lot of senior footy.

Maybe this year?
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Forgot Simpkin

Inwould have thought he would have been better....

But he got a huge lesson. He's a competitor yes, but I still question his strength against quality bigs.... And he will get exposed

trojansaint
Club Player

Was at the game and at this stage would rather have a raw Newnes/Siposs in our team than an insipid Gram (despite a few bursts) or an under confident Gilbert. Also, did Stevens appear hurt on TV? Looked very different to previous weeks.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I don't understand points.... They seem to measure effectiveness...... Or at least try to??

I think gram was our best wasn't he??

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I don't understand points.... They seem to measure effectiveness...... Or at least try to??

I think gram was our best wasn't he??
I think we all must be wrong on Gram and you must be right cause he kicked 2 late goals?

Hes a defender. He doesnt put any body pressure on in a contested situation EVERYONE sees it....and you have him bests?

Id rather see Leger play a small back role with Schneider and Gram out to be honest.

“Yeah….nah””
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

we were under real presure just about the whole game and we held up took the lead and just about won it, missing key players and getting ruined in the hit outs.... in my books we did very well... just wish we were able to steal it... that tackle on BG was a game saver, Just about... anyway

Fortius Quo Fidelius
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ledger is not a small defender... He is an inside midfielder at 178cm... He'd get really exposed as a defender...

Gram was poor before HT no doubt

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Newnes replaced Geary and got into the game by the end of it, just a bit small and not fit enough yet
Naturally runs to the fit spots and makes good decisions.
Cripps was good last week struggled tonight.
Simpkin had 5 of jacks goals kicked on him, jack did him by doubling back a lot.
saad was very good, milera did well for mine
Steven didn't have much run

Gram nearly won us the game, he is the new scapegoat eh.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

The selection of Newnes was a surprise, and probably a mistake. Raph Clarke's bigger body would have given more strength to our fragile backline.

And, Schnieder probably would have offered more than Cripps.

Ledger has looked promising when we've seen him, not sure why he's not playing.

defacto
Club Player

no ones mentioned gwilt. i thought he did extremely well in his 2nd game back. first half he looked ginger, slow and weak. 2nd half he showed glimpses of the old gwilt.

he will only get better from here.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Great post BM!

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Agree with all.

Newnes will be better for the game. Coughed it up under pressure but kept at it and looked poised for a first year player. A bit to go though

Milera was a bit inconsistant and could help but think Roos spray last week has put him in two minds when going for goal.

Saad was a real livewire with his speed.

Cripps agreed

Gilbo - can take a grab, looks indecisive. Really out of form. Would be out if we had anyone to replace him.
Roo let himself down with that spray. I hope he had a chat to Terry after it to say he was wronng and I hope that it hasn't impacted him but it did look like he was looking for Roo when he could have had a shot. I'm sure it's sorted.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:Newnes replaced Geary and got into the game by the end of it, just a bit small and not fit enough yet
Simpkin had 5 of jacks goals kicked on him, jack did him by doubling back a lot.

Nah...I reckon he's finding some form...I'll stick to bagging Milne...when the heat was on and we needed something, tiprat just made poor decisions. SW doesn't normally throw his head back in the coaches box... but with 5 minutes to go and the saints down by less than a goal, I saw it happen tonight. Milne couldn't stick to the basics. Two lost opportuniti to us while the ball was close to our goal and then the turnover means footy goes up the other end and with about 4 minutes left, Tiges went 2 goals up. Milne just loses 'composure' too often and SW mentioned that word to the boundary line commentator straight after he finished addressing the squad at 3/4 time...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
maverick wrote:Newnes replaced Geary and got into the game by the end of it, just a bit small and not fit enough yet

Nah...I reckon he's finding some form...I'll stick to bagging Milne...when the heat was on and we needed something, tiprat just made poor decisions. SW doesn't normally throw his head back in the coaches box... but with 5 minutes to go and the saints down by less than a goal, I saw it happen tonight. Milne couldn't stick to the basics. Two lost opportuniti to us while the ball was close to our goal and then the turnover means footy goes up the other end and with about 4 minutes left, Tiges went 2 goals up. Milne just loses 'composure' too often and SW mentioned that word to the boundary line commentator straight after he finished addressing the squad at 3/4 time...

We need another moron button. If we had one this guy would never get a post on this board.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What is Terry made of, tissue paper??

If the captain can't spray a 24yo for a poor decision because it might effect him, he's soft.... Don't reckon he is...

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Break it down for me Mr 'I understand footy'. Let us know if my summary of the those critical couple of minutes is innaccurate. The tiprat has to be better when it comes to crunch games...is he going to get better from here?? Hell no...we all know that he's been terrific overall but we also need to accept that Milne is on the decline.

You are just a pissweak apologist for your favourite players and you're either blind or a one-eyed-sycophant when it comes to anything to do with Milnes monumental gamebreaking stuffups. We have two other blokes that will thrive with or WITHOUT Milne in the team. Don't bring up the argument that they need Milne to get the attention. That's just thinking that they too will make poor decisions in crunch games...How long did Milne take to cope with intencity and heat of AFL standard?? Millera and Saad are making an impact after player half a dozen games!!! I reckon if their bodies are as durable as the tiprat...they might be better in crunch games and ultimately be more important in finals
Last edited by Scollop on Sat 02 Jun 2012 5:21pm, edited 2 times in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What is Terry made of, tissue paper??

If the captain can't spray a 24yo for a poor decision because it might effect him, he's soft.... Don't reckon he is...
point taken but it wasn't a poor decision anyway..reckon he was looking for roo a couple of time when he could have ran futher and taken a shot.

Legendary
Club Player

Maxie Hudghton had Neitz kick 6-7 on him one day ... it happens to the best of them ...

From memory, only 2-3 of Riewoldt's goals came when he was opposed to Simpkin directly - Gilbert was on him, then Gwilt, then one was from a free and there was a huge mark he took, and then another one over the top.

When it was one-on-one, Simpkin did ok.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Maxie Hudghton had Neitz kick 6-7 on him one day ... it happens to the best of them ...

From memory, only 2-3 of Riewoldt's goals came when he was opposed to Simpkin directly - Gilbert was on him, then Gwilt, then one was from a free and there was a huge mark he took, and then another one over the top.

When it was one-on-one, Simpkin did ok.

So Simpkin wasn't on him when Riewoldt took the huge mark?

Legendary
Club Player

Not much you can do when a bloke jumps on your back 15 feet in the air.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: Saad.... Past the test tonight
Saad.... Passed the test tonight

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert looked good compared to the last couple of weeks, Gram did some good stuff and looked like he had his confidence back. The selection of Newnes was a tough one for a first year player especially on Nahas who is a decent player with heaps of pace. The Tigers bring it in quick and direct and puts pressure on the defence. we really lacked Fishers general in defence role and Big mac to ruck and chop off the forward entries to Riewoldt J.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Not much you can do when a bloke jumps on your back 15 feet in the air.
I'm not bagging Simpkin but a good defender will not lose his man like that...can't remember too many species taken on Matty Scarlett for example.