We lost the game, but won a future......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: We lost the game, but won a future......

Munga wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Munga wrote:We fkn lost the plot down back in the last. WTF are all the free tigers doing in their fwd 50??????
yes that was odd..
The tigers WALKED in at least three goals, I'm fkn fuming! Either our defenders are complete half-wits, or the coaches are.

Its the risks of a full ground press learn the game before you bag it. :roll:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, but I'm not having this 'game of the year'

Let's be honest - tiges prolly won't make finals, they are playing on adrenalin and hype.

I'm very disappointed in last night. Where was our gameplan from the Shitney game? Mixing attack with brutal defense? We were brought back to tiges standard.

Even a win would have only made slightly happier

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:Sorry, but I'm not having this 'game of the year'

Let's be honest - tiges prolly won't make finals, they are playing on adrenalin and hype.

I'm very disappointed in last night. Where was our gameplan from the Shitney game? Mixing attack with brutal defense? We were brought back to tiges standard.

Really?

You Banana Benders really have NFI.

Couldn't you see we were stuffed?

Couldn't you are Lenny and Steven were cooked early??

Are you not aware Geary was out, replaced by green newbie??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Munga wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Munga wrote:We fkn lost the plot down back in the last. WTF are all the free tigers doing in their fwd 50??????
yes that was odd..
The tigers WALKED in at least three goals, I'm fkn fuming! Either our defenders are complete half-wits, or the coaches are.

I don't like to blame the 6 day breaks, however this where it hurt us imo.

Applying the press like we do requires alot of running when there's a turn over to push back.

Not only that it requires alot of energy from our forwards to keep the ball in.

It took its toll in the end thats part of the reason why we had Richmond walking into an open goal.

SMS
Club Player

great game. Tigers have arrived. But lets not forget MCEVOY, FISHER, SCHNIEDER - 3 very influential people for us.

They were full strength at top of game ... we had more scoring shots and we have more in us tom improve. This season is unbelievable. Any other year I would say were gone but .... next week is another chance to get back in 8 and with fish and mcevoy back against adelaide ?? We can win that one and really be back in contention. I am loving this season just suks that we have lost 3 close ones ... could easily be 8-2.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Scott Watters gameplan is built on defense and he was none-too-pleased about the open tigers waltzing into open goals.

What has happened is that after being suffocated for 5 years under Lyon to always adhere to the team rules under any circumstance, the players have finally been given some liscnece to use their skills and take the game on, and so like a man who has seen the light of the sun after years in solitary confinement they have with gay pleasure blown out too far to an attacking mindset.

The result is that after 10 weeks under Watters, we've already gotten the attacking side of our game to where it needs to be, whilst on the other hand the defensive side of our game languishes in a river of neglect opening into a sea of futility, already deficiant coming into the season due to lack of stocks and having since been further depleted by injuries.

What we'll see (probably over the next year and a half, but who knows?) under Watters is this: In attack, the structures are already there for all to see, the seeds have been planted and they now only need to be given time and nourishment. We won't see any significant change in the way we attack.

In defense, however, we're going to see major renovations and improvements, including:

- Fresh, new players to fill key defensive posts.
- The crafting and implementation of new team defensive structures.
- The gradual correction of the current over-emphasis on attack to a state of optimum balance.

Watters has gotten the attack right. If he can now build in the defensive foundation without compromising the potency of attack, we're in for a show!

Football is a fickle game. We've got Simpkin who is green but looks the goods + don't undervalue the impact of Geary, he's been very good this year and was sorely missed last night.
Fisher back in + a fit and firing Gwilt + a greater focus on team defense collectively might be all that's needed to get it all right come september 2012....

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
spert
Saintsational Legend

Look, we are a couple of important players down which limits our ruck and back half options, plus Schneids to return. A good effort against a plucky team, but we will still do better, and that's as good as Tiges can do IMHO.

kaos theory
Club Player

Positives:

- 3 X 6 day game breaks, missing Fisher, Macca, Stanley, Geary (our best small defender) & Schnieder, gwilt still coming back to form, and only just losing with more scoring shots against a team that is on a roll atm, to me shows a lot of positives.

Spiro K

hungry for a premiership wrote:Scott Watters gameplan is built on defense and he was none-too-pleased about the open tigers waltzing into open goals.

What has happened is that after being suffocated for 5 years under Lyon to always adhere to the team rules under any circumstance, the players have finally been given some liscnece to use their skills and take the game on, and so like a man who has seen the light of the sun after years in solitary confinement they have with gay pleasure blown out too far to an attacking mindset.

The result is that after 10 weeks under Watters, we've already gotten the attacking side of our game to where it needs to be, whilst on the other hand the defensive side of our game languishes in a river of neglect opening into a sea of futility, already deficiant coming into the season due to lack of stocks and having since been further depleted by injuries.

What we'll see (probably over the next year and a half, but who knows?) under Watters is this: In attack, the structures are already there for all to see, the seeds have been planted and they now only need to be given time and nourishment. We won't see any significant change in the way we attack.

In defense, however, we're going to see major renovations and improvements, including:

- Fresh, new players to fill key defensive posts.
- The crafting and implementation of new team defensive structures.
- The gradual correction of the current over-emphasis on attack to a state of optimum balance.

Watters has gotten the attack right. If he can now build in the defensive foundation without compromising the potency of attack, we're in for a show!

Football is a fickle game. We've got Simpkin who is green but looks the goods + don't undervalue the impact of Geary, he's been very good this year and was sorely missed last night.
Fisher back in + a fit and firing Gwilt + a greater focus on team defense collectively might be all that's needed to get it all right come september 2012....
Great analysis Hungry!

Like many people here I was disappointed we lost, a little annoyed with some lax defending but brimming with hope in the way the boys are playing. It is refreshing to watch this vibrant brand of football we are playing and please Scotty, keep playing the youngsters. His faith in Armo, for instance, has seen him blossom. Perhaps it is time for Tommy Curren or (how is this for a long shot) Jackson Ferguson to be a given a run as well.

I cannot wait to see Big Ben, Rhys, Fish and Schneids back in the side.

"Man must suffer to be wise or alternatively support the Saints." Aeschylus
stevie
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
stevie wrote:Sorry, but I'm not having this 'game of the year'

Really?

You Banana Benders really have NFI.

Couldn't you see we were stuffed?

Couldn't you are Lenny and Steven were cooked early??

Are you not aware Geary was out, replaced by green newbie??
I'm a f****** Victorian

And...yes, of course I could see all that. Forty years of following the boys gives me the right to be annoyed when I think they are dragged down to the lvl of the s*** teams

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

stevie wrote:
And...yes, of course I could see all that. Forty years of following the boys gives me the right to be annoyed when I think they are dragged down to the lvl of the s*** teams
Tigers are not a s*** team atm Stevie, if it wasn't for our guts we would have copped a thrashing like the Hawks got.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
stevie
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:
stevie wrote:
Tigers are not a s*** team atm Stevie, if it wasn't for our guts we would have copped a thrashing like the Hawks got.
Yeah, I know, sorry...

This loss really got to me though. I just couldn't work out how we went from sublime last week defensively to all over the place last night.

The previous two 6 day breaks didn't affect us v Shitney ( I discount their last qtr junk goals as we were looking to tiges)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

9 points straight will lose you most games

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I think we were indeed on the back foot last night and tigers deserved their win.
Fatigue and injury - but still plenty of fight and could have snuck a win had we been luckier.
Plenty to work and build on - great to see Saad and Milera working together so well.
Give Siposs a full game now.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches