Luke Parker

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Luke Parker

BigMart wrote:So Lenny was unknown leading into the drat??

Not sure you've been listening, he was clearly around the mark

IMO he should have been rated higher than Murray Vance.... I actually think he was easily top 3.

You do realise he was beaten in the carnival second division award by someone from his own team. Now I know that is one carnival but that division was pretty poor back then. Now please tell me you cant remember 14 years ago he should have been top 3. I have a reason why I know he wasnt in the top 5. A pretty good reason. There was no way he was thought of as a top 3 pick unless after we drafted him the Saints said we thought he was a top 3 pick so we were wrapped to get him at 11. Fancy a club saying something like that.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:So Lenny was unknown leading into the drat??

Not sure you've been listening, he was clearly around the mark

IMO he should have been rated higher than Murray Vance.... I actually think he was easily top 3.

You do realise he was beaten in the carnival second division award by someone from his own team. Now I know that is one carnival but that division was pretty poor back then. Now please tell me you cant remember 14 years ago he should have been top 3. I have a reason why I know he wasnt in the top 5. A pretty good reason. There was no way he was thought of as a top 3 pick unless after we drafted him the Saints said we thought he was a top 3 pick so we were wrapped to get him at 11. Fancy a club saying something like that.
Surely clubs don't just say things for the sake of saying things?

I remember clearly some bloke at our club saying that Tommy Walsh was the equivalent of a first round draft pick. Are you telling me that bloke was "gilding the lily" a little bit?

If that's the case, I'm shocked :shock:

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
So it indicates you can play? Yes

Does it mean you will cut it in the AFL? No
I'm glad we agree.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes, he was beaten by Derek Murray who was the 1997 morrish medallist.... Was at Port for 4 seasons

Mark McVeigh was also a member of that team.... NSW won the title, they had a good team.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yes, he was beaten by Derek Murray who was the 1997 morrish medallist.... Was at Port for 4 seasons

Mark McVeigh was also a member of that team.... NSW won the title, they had a good team.

Thanks for that. Now how can you possibly remember people thought he would go top 3?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I thought he was at the top of the tree as a junior in 1998 and remember being absolutely beside myself when we got him. Was also right into saints supporter Bolton, who I thought we were going to get, and assumed they were a Monty to take the hometown boy at #3. I also thought Mark McVeigh was on his way to Sydney also.

Two boys with great talent, great attitudes and from Pennant Hills.... Seemed a reasonable assumption, homegrown talent would be a consideration for Sydney, considering they lost Rocca and Gaspar who were both high draft picks..

Hindsight, if they had there time again.... They would have made a logical choice... Which is what this thread is about.

Not foregoing the obvious....

dragit
Saintsational Legend

This thread still going?

b.t.w - maybe missing the U18 championship through injury had something to do with Hayes not being selected at #1

"In 1998, Hayes played in the TAC Cup, watched mostly by recruiters, but because of injury missed the national Under 18 championship, when football department heavies come to second-guess the recruiters' judgments.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/afte ... 1z3b1.html

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I thought he was at the top of the tree as a junior in 1998 and remember being absolutely beside myself when we got him. Was also right into saints supporter Bolton, who I thought we were going to get, and assumed they were a Monty to take the hometown boy at #3. I also thought Mark McVeigh was on his way to Sydney also.

Two boys with great talent, great attitudes and from Pennant Hills.... Seemed a reasonable assumption, homegrown talent would be a consideration for Sydney, considering they lost Rocca and Gaspar who were both high draft picks..

Hindsight, if they had there time again.... They would have made a logical choice... Which is what this thread is about.

I just cant work out how you knew anything about Sydney players afterall the only thing you would see is the scores in the paper. There were no stats or games on TV and I am surprised you didnt know he didnt play in the championships seen that you followed him so closely.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Great article

Factually correct, except for the fact nic fosdike wasn't playing AFL in 1996??

Lenny was definitely in the squad for the NSW team as I still have a record with him listed in it. If he missed every game it explains that recruiters should/would research more than 1 week and 3 games when selecting a first round player

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Great article

Lenny was definitely in the squad for the NSW team as I still have a record with him listed in it. If he missed every game it explains that recruiters should/would research more than 1 week and 3 games when selecting a first round player

So now the recruiters do the right thing. I thought they did the wrong thing as he should have gone pick 3 in your opinion. I will say it again how did you think that when all you got was scores in the paper and no video or stats of games. I take it you didnt see him play to much at all, most likely not one game.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

So now the recruiters do the right thing. I thought they did the wrong thing as he should have gone pick 3 in your opinion. I will say it again how did you think that when all you got was scores in the paper and no video or stats of games. I take it you didnt see him play to much at all, most likely not one game.

Why would BM have a record with Hayes in the team if he wasn't at the game? Unless the NSW team was in a 1997 AFL H&A record.

Still waiting on you to send me my kewpie doll P66 after nominating Saad and Milera and Ross as recruits killing it this year.

Watched the second and third qtrs of the Sydney match last night and young Parker was comprehensively beaten. Doesn't mean he cant play and had plenty of mates on the night, but the kid was way out of his depth.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why would BM have a record with Hayes in the team if he wasn't at the game? Unless the NSW team was in a 1997 AFL H&A record.

Still waiting on you to send me my kewpie doll P66 after nominating Saad and Milera and Ross as recruits killing it this year.

Watched the second and third qtrs of the Sydney match last night and young Parker was comprehensively beaten. Doesn't mean he cant play and had plenty of mates on the night, but the kid was way out of his depth.

The doll is on the way. Very lucky though as Ross hasnt played a game yet.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: The doll is on the way. Very lucky though as Ross hasnt played a game yet.
It better be on a stick like the ones you used to get from the Show back in the day.

Also I nominate Jason Blake. Taken at #76 in the draft. Has already played in defence and in the ruck first year after being picked up by the Saints.

How the other recruiters missed him is incredible.

I will go out on a limb and predict he will be on the Saints list for more than 10 years and will play at least 200 senior games.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote: The doll is on the way. Very lucky though as Ross hasnt played a game yet.
It better be on a stick like the ones you used to get from the Show back in the day.

Also I nominate Jason Blake. Taken at #76 in the draft. Has already played in defence and in the ruck first year after being picked up by the Saints.

I will go out on a limb and predict he will be on the Saints list for more than 10 years and will play at least 200 senior games.

Thanks for that nomination. Definately the best player drafted last year. I just wish BM would give me a couple instead of waiting until they play a second year.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Bit more hindsight.... Love some replies

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Bit more hindsight.... Love some replies
Okay I'll bite :D
You claim to not have the computer nous to either search for old threads or even use the quote button…
That is until you think you might have been right on something a year ago… suddenly you're a computer whiz.
This thread was created 6 months after the draft… pure hindsight.
I think the point you were trying to make was that "sometimes recruiters get it wrong"
Which is just so revelatory that I don't think one person could argue against this premise.

If you had perhaps suggested that Parker should go in the first round before the draft, then I could understand rehashing an old thread… but I don't quite understand why you've done it here.

hindsight + hindsight ≠ foresight

Digging up old threads that make you look foolish is cute though… cheers for that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
BigMart wrote:Bit more hindsight.... Love some replies
Okay I'll bite :D
You claim to not have the computer nous to either search for old threads or even use the quote button…
That is until you think you might have been right on something a year ago… suddenly you're a computer whiz.
This thread was created 6 months after the draft… pure hindsight.
I think the point you were trying to make was that "sometimes recruiters get it wrong"
Which is just so revelatory that I don't think one person could argue against this premise.

If you had perhaps suggested that Parker should go in the first round before the draft, then I could understand rehashing an old thread… but I don't quite understand why you've done it here.

hindsight + hindsight ≠ foresight

Digging up old threads that make you look foolish is cute though… cheers for that.

Get it right Dragit. 18 months after he was drafted. If we really wanted to pull out threads i could get plenty on me, you and also BM. I was told by a mod not to use old threads just to bait. I reckon this maybe to bait even though all it shows is someone can see many things in hindsight.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Is it still baiting if you do it to yourself - selfderbaiting?

Middo
Club Player

dragit wrote:Is it still baiting if you do it to yourself - selfderbaiting?

Na it's just plain old masterbaiting ..!!!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Middo
Club Player

Middo wrote:
dragit wrote:Is it still baiting if you do it to yourself - selfderbaiting?

Na it's just plain old masterbaiting ..!!!

Ps - Or for Saints Maisterbaiting !!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I thought he was at the top of the tree as a junior in 1998 and remember being absolutely beside myself when we got him. Was also right into saints supporter Bolton, who I thought we were going to get, and assumed they were a Monty to take the hometown boy at #3. I also thought Mark McVeigh was on his way to Sydney also.

lenny was the act/nsw rams captain..if i remember correctly...the saints thought sydney were certain to draft him and they were going to draft bolton

...the swans had three picks before us....3, 4 and 8....we had pick 11....the swans drafted nic fosdike, ryan fitzgerald and jude bolton....luckly lenny was still there for us.......he certainlt was a top 10 draft pick....more fools swine......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Swans have a history of taking St.Kilda players. Maybe they thought the Saints had each of these three players in their sights, and that is why they took them, believing the Saints would not be interested in the NSW boy!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

I stand by this post. Blake has been brilliant since being selected #76 two years ago. Played the majority of the games in 2012, had some second year blues this season but FORCED his way into the seniors at seasons end.

How nobody else picked up this defender/ruckman before the Saints is incredible.

Absolutley inspired recruiting by the Saints.

Hindsight of course, but thats what this thread is based on isn't it?

Lance or James??

maverick
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

I stand by this post. Blake has been brilliant since being selected #76 two years ago. Played the majority of the games in 2012, had some second year blues this season but FORCED his way into the seniors at seasons end.

How nobody else picked up this defender/ruckman before the Saints is incredible.

Absolutley inspired recruiting by the Saints.

Hindsight of course, but thats what this thread is based on isn't it?
I tend to agree, but when I checked his photo after his drafting I think there was a mistake and they posted his dads photo accidentally.....

dragit
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote: Hindsight of course, but thats what this thread is based on isn't it?
Well I might be going early… but I think Blake will be de-listed only 2 years after being drafted. :(