Roo's 3qrt time dummy spit and follow on affect

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

Re: Roo's 3qrt time dummy spit and follow on affect

I saw it and they talked about it (finney) on SEN this morning - the pass was not on - there was a man closing from behind who Roo probably didn't see - Milera should have shot from there and he should have goaled - but plenty of others missed from 40 and under last night -- pretty sure Roo will apologize to Milera when he sees the footage - Not sure why it has to turn into a slinging match - Roo is a champ - our young kids have been terrific - Roo made what I see as a bad call in the heat of battle - great game - go saints

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:I saw it and they talked about it (finney) on SEN this morning - the pass was not on - there was a man closing from behind who Roo probably didn't see - Milera should have shot from there and he should have goaled - but plenty of others missed from 40 and under last night -- pretty sure Roo will apologize to Milera when he sees the footage - Not sure why it has to turn into a slinging match - Roo is a champ - our young kids have been terrific - Roo made what I see as a bad call in the heat of battle - great game - go saints
Roo made a bad call but you've made a good call about his bad call :)

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Roo has improved his body language a lot this year, and he is often the first to get to Terry after a goal.

Roo is an intense character, and this can be counter-productive at times as he has been known to voice his displeasure at the poor decisions of others, but there is an undercurrent of hatred in this thread towards one of the greatest players in our club's history that is really disturbing.

The players voted him captain for a reason. He leads by example, and his passion lifts the team more than it brings the team down.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Quixote
SS Life Member

Biggest non-issue of all time.

People don't mention Rooey going to Milera at the start of the 4th giving him encouragement.

Plus if you watch the game again you'll see many poor decisions made in that forward line - and many times Riewoldt left frustrated standing by himself.

Absolute non-issue.

Love Saad but also get the feeling he loves a Saad goal :mrgreen:

Milera is almost always at pains to dish off.

Also with the amount of shots we were missing / how far we were in front to how far we should of been, I think Roo was probably just wanting to make sure we didn't drop a game we were dominating!
Last edited by Quixote on Sun 27 May 2012 3:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely a non issue. We kicked 15 points and we've been undisciplined lots this year. Our captain was being intense. Who gives a fig if that 'looks' bad. Bloody hell.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
sainterinsydney
Club Player

Rooey couldn't hit the back of a barn last night--probably good Milera didn't pass it to him. :)

hAyES
Club Player

If anyone has wondered why we've been such a Riewoldt conscious team lately there's the reason. That kick he wanted from Milera wasn't even on and he still copped a serve for it. He needs to get that out of his game because it's not all about Nick anymore.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Big deal.

We missed 6 in the 2nd quarter and another 7 in the 3rd, including Milera's. 

I'm sure if our blokes had been slotting them Roo wouldn't have given a continental.

It's an emotional game and Nick got emotional.  That's all.

resaintlee
Club Player

I see this as much less an issue than BJ's attitude of late. No matter where he is he is pressuring for the ball and when he has it he tends to ignore the bottom 12 and make an often costly attempt to pass to a name rather than a player. Reminds me a bit of kicking end to end at primary school when you get the ball only to have the tough kid say "give it to me (or else...)"
His head doesn't seem to be in the right place at the moment and his diposals were too often disappointing.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Big deal.

I'm sure if our blokes had been slotting them Roo wouldn't have given a continental.

Waddya mean big deal?

It was the reason we ended up losing the game and with it any chance of playing finals this year.

Dont you realise how much of an issue this is?

Almost as big as bj not singing the song exactly right.

BOTH HUGE

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Quixote
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Big deal.

Waddya mean big deal?

It was the reason we ended up losing the game and with it any chance of playing finals this year.

Dont you realise how much of an issue this is?

Almost as big as bj not singing the song exactly right.

BOTH HUGE
The sky is falling!! Panic!! EMERGENCY!!!!

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:Biggest non-issue of all time.

People don't mention Rooey going to Milera at the start of the 4th giving him encouragement.

Plus if you watch the game again you'll see many poor decisions made in that forward line - and many times Riewoldt left frustrated standing by himself.

Absolute non-issue.

Love Saad but also get the feeling he loves a Saad goal :mrgreen:

Milera is almost always at pains to dish off.

Also with the amount of shots we were missing / how far we were in front to how far we should of been, I think Roo was probably just wanting to make sure we didn't drop a game we were dominating!
Dead right!
What's this thread about?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:...What's this thread about?
Ignorance.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

resaintlee wrote:I see this as much less an issue than BJ's attitude of late. No matter where he is he is pressuring for the ball and when he has it he tends to ignore the bottom 12 and make an often costly attempt to pass to a name rather than a player. Reminds me a bit of kicking end to end at primary school when you get the ball only to have the tough kid say "give it to me (or else...)"
His head doesn't seem to be in the right place at the moment and his diposals were too often disappointing.
Exactly what I also saw

He looks slow and disinterested and his so called precision disposal is ordinary right now. Good luck to him if he wants to go get picks

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

resaintlee wrote:I see this as much less an issue than BJ's attitude of late. No matter where he is he is pressuring for the ball and when he has it he tends to ignore the bottom 12 and make an often costly attempt to pass to a name rather than a player. Reminds me a bit of kicking end to end at primary school when you get the ball only to have the tough kid say "give it to me (or else...)"
i do notice a tendency for lenny bj milney and joey to always pass to each other even when someone else is in a better position to receive.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:This all seems ridiculous to me

I didn't see it but if Roo was the better option and free... then Terry should have passed.

Basic team discipline

Very sad to see our supporters turn on a true champion
roo wasnt free. wasnt best option. was covered. milera was a 70% chance to score from there and well within his rights to shoot.
then roo still gave him a serve.
noone is turning on roo - just pointing out that in one little incident/ 1% of the game he could have done better.
noone is perfect and when u are skipper and on a mill a year you are going to cop some scrutiny.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Glad he didnt pass to Riewoldt, Milera was surely in his right to have a kick.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Never understood why you can never say anything negative about Roo on here?

Is it really as dramatic as 'turning on him' to point out something minor, or question a moment, or ask if he could do better?

It's just conversation, about a player, who happens to have the (c) next to his name.

I can even say a couple of Lennys inside 50's were rushed and to nobody v the Swans, yet I still love him, and I will still brag to my grandkids that I got to watch play.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

jonesy wrote:What did we think of it? I thought Milera was well and truly within his rights to have a shot,infact I think it was 100% the correct decision.

In the final quarter,we saw balls kicked to Roo(unsuccesfully) from the mosquito fleet and Milera when they should have had shots. I hope these guys are encouraged to have shots when they are within 40-45 if there is only a 50-50 contest option ahead of them, despite the unfair critism thrown at them from there skipper tonight
noticed it and i was disapointed. Captain shouldn't carruy on like that when we were in control and way in front. I would have expected him to be pumping the boys up for a solid closing 4th where we shut the door on them... failed to happen SYD won the quarter. all in all great game and come from behind take over.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I just watched it again. I think Riewoldt had a bet on that he could recreate that moment from the Grand Final Replay where he had the kick smothered in the goal square.

It was one of those exotic bets on Centrebet.

Gambling is ruining our game.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Nick Riewoldt - 1963 marks (2nd highest Saints player behind Stewart Loewe) at an average of 8.66 per game (second highest VFL/AFL ever behind Gary Dempsey with 8.70, compared with current players J Brown 7.29 and T Cloke 6.71 which, in terms of average, is a mile behind).

Nick has also taken the highest percentage of contested marks since such records have been kept. In addition, the laws were changed near the start of his career to make the payment of a mark far more difficult than at any time time in the previous one hundred years. Check any video of the greatest marks of the 60s-90s (available at your local K-Mart store for $9.99) to see that about half wouldn't be paid now.

My advice: Sit back and watch the best mark ever in AFL history and shut your gobs, especially when you rely on video expression without sound for criticism. In other words, you have no idea what the captain said to his player. But then again, this is the internet, where ignorance can apparently trump knowledge if enough fools respond.

Having said that, any Saints player in the V within 50 metres should go for goal. If his misses, it's on his head.
Last edited by perfectionist on Sun 27 May 2012 8:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Never understood why you can never say anything negative about Roo on here?

Is it really as dramatic as 'turning on him' to point out something minor, or question a moment, or ask if he could do better?

It's just conversation, about a player, who happens to have the (c) next to his name.

I can even say a couple of Lennys inside 50's were rushed and to nobody v the Swans, yet I still love him, and I will still brag to my grandkids that I got to watch play.
But has anyone turned Lenny's misses into a 3 page thread-?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Nick Riewoldt - 1963 marks (2nd highest Saints player behind Stewart Loewe) at an average of 8.66 per game (second highest VFL/AFL ever behind Gary Dempsey with 8.70, compared with current players J Brown 7.29 and T Cloke 6.71 which, in terms of average, is a mile behind).

Nick has also taken the highest percentage of contested marks since such records have been kept. In addition, the laws were changed near the start of his career to make the payment of a mark far more difficult than at any time time in the previous one hundred years. Check any video of the greatest marks of the 60s-90s (available at your local K-Mart store for $9.99) to see that about half wouldn't be paid now.

My advice: Sit back and watch the best mark ever in AFL history and shut your gobs, especially when you rely on video expression without sound for criticism. In other words, you have no idea what the captain said to his player. But then again, this is the internet, where ignorance can apparently trump knowledge if enough fools respond.

Having said that, any Saints player in the V within 50 metres should go for goal. If his misses, it's on his head.

My advice: Stewart Loewe was the best mark in AFL/VFL history,so shut your gob,you're embarrassing yourself

Bring back the Lockett era
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
You spelled 'missus' wrong but she is certainly worth a 3 page thread..Image

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
SainterK wrote:Never understood why you can never say anything negative about Roo on here?

I guess the point of interest is that we finally look less reliable on Nick, which is better for Nick....

I hope Milera doesn't change his style.