Jack Steven = GUN

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

philtee
Club Player

Jack Steven = GUN

Superlative game today for three quarters - in, under, hard, and smart, will not shirk
the contest, will lay the tackle, will get the footy and then use it to advantage. Some
brilliant plays on the Moorabbin wing. The ladies in the seats around me are all
a-flutter over his courage and his love of the contest. A touch of the old No 3,
Nathan Burke, about his work ethic and courage, but he's got a ton more flair.
IMHO, he's been learning from Lenny, and he's showing Armo how to go about it.
Hope his body withstands the assault and he's with us for another decade.
(Did I mention he's from Lorne???????)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Steven = GUN

I wondered if he runs funny because of his OP problems.

Now I'm wondering if he runs funny to avoid those problems, you know, when they teach guys how to change their running style to prevent injury?

Still reckon he has the ability to win a brownlow.

savatage
SS Life Member

He runs how he runs.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

philtee wrote:Superlative game today for three quarters - in, under, hard, and smart, will not shirk
the contest, will lay the tackle, will get the footy and then use it to advantage. Some
brilliant plays on the Moorabbin wing. The ladies in the seats around me are all
a-flutter over his courage and his love of the contest. A touch of the old No 3,
Nathan Burke, about his work ethic and courage, but he's got a ton more flair.
IMHO, he's been learning from Lenny, and he's showing Armo how to go about it.
Hope his body withstands the assault and he's with us for another decade.
(Did I mention he's from Lorne???????)
Agree with all that. HOWEVER. I have a question about him. When the whistle blows, and it is obviously your free kick 10 metres out from goal, and the ball is bobbing around on the ground, why would you soccer the ball going for goal? Tonight it came off. Against the hawks it did not. It can mean only 3 things.

i) He is a selfish player who wants the glory of a goal - I don't buy that, b/c everything else about his game suggests otherwise.
ii) He's not that bright....
iii) He's hard of hearing.

Please don't do that again Jack. It's either our free kick, in which case we have a certain goal put at risk by you trying to soccer an oval shaped ball of the ground, or it's the opposition's free kick in which case you risk a 50m penalty. Otherwise great game :)

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The best thing, and he showed it many times today, is his ability to keep his feet. That, more than anything, allows him to make a break from the contest with the ball in his hands.

Great game, today!

chook23
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I wondered if he runs funny because of his OP problems.

Now I'm wondering if he runs funny to avoid those problems, you know, when they teach guys how to change their running style to prevent injury?

actually has similar gate/running style to Dane Swan.

saint4life
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:

actually has similar gate/running style to Dane Swan.
Yeah he does, the steven shuffle

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I love guys that take the game on. Milne isn't great because he's sharing and caring he just has a go and backs himself. I like that he takes them on and he hasn't been Rossed out his flair.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

His confidence is growing and as it grows so does his effiency with the ball !
great to watch !

In red white and black from 73
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I dont know how many times I watched him tonight and thought....what a great player.....

Armo seems to have risen as well - both these guys hitting their straps at same time is enormous for this club.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Steven has more natural ability, but Armo reminded me of Lenny tonight...in the way he wills himself to run and spread, even though that may not come so naturally to him.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Is he really from Lorne? Just down the Great Ocean Road? Would never have known. Should really check with BT.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Steven has more natural ability, but Armo reminded me of Lenny tonight...in the way he wills himself to run and spread, even though that may not come so naturally to him.
IF Armo introduces regularly the run and spread into his game as he did tonight he has the attributes to become an elite mid.

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

his ability in a contested situation just blows me away.
sometimes he has no right to win the ball in terms of ball and body position. but just keeps finding a way.
very clever player.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Agree with all that. HOWEVER. I have a question about him. When the whistle blows, and it is obviously your free kick 10 metres out from goal, and the ball is bobbing around on the ground, why would you soccer the ball going for goal? Tonight it came off. Against the hawks it did not. It can mean only 3 things.

i) He is a selfish player who wants the glory of a goal - I don't buy that, b/c everything else about his game suggests otherwise.
ii) He's not that bright....
iii) He's hard of hearing.

Please don't do that again Jack. It's either our free kick, in which case we have a certain goal put at risk by you trying to soccer an oval shaped ball of the ground, or it's the opposition's free kick in which case you risk a 50m penalty. Otherwise great game :)
I couldn't believe that he did it again. I actually thought his kick missed and I went ballistic.

Great game though from Jack.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Must have had OP from 5 years old. He runs like that because that is how he runs. The funny thing is one or two onher said he was slow. Out of a pack he is clearly our fastest runner. Always was but those who said he was lsow hardly saw him play. The guy is going to be gun. At the moment he is a pistal. A rifle awaits.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

When does his contract expire?

When we re-sign him it will have to be on at least $100K more per year than what he currently gets.

200 game player without any doubt.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
busso mick
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Must have had OP from 5 years old. He runs like that because that is how he runs. The funny thing is one or two onher said he was slow. Out of a pack he is clearly our fastest runner. Always was but those who said he was lsow hardly saw him play. The guy is going to be gun. At the moment he is a pistal. A rifle awaits.
Maybe a Tommy Gun :lol:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I remember that, early on people mistook the fact that he looked like a pelican winding up for take off as a speed issue, never ever slow just a quirky running style and like a bee in a bottle when he gets the ball. He is an exciting player because he just looks frenetic when the ball is in his hands- runs in little circles like a lunatic and seems to run his full measure with out a bounce.