2 to 3 games in NZ

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

james rose
Club Player

Re: 2 to 3 games in NZ

SideshowMilne wrote:Any talk of the Anzac Day game time. Any bets Eddie is behind the scenes ensuring it runs at night as therefore same time (and TV slot) as 'his' game.
It would be better for us if it wasn't clashing with 'his' game.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:If a deal is done then a deal is done.

And if a deal is done then the most important thing the club can do is to ensure the players, members and supporters are brought on board. They must convince them that this is a great opportunity and that it will help to ensure the club survives as a Victorian based entity into the foresabble future. If it can convince the stakeholders that it will help grow the club into a powerhouse then all the better.

I don't care whether or not the club explains to me why Tom Ledger is not currently being selected.

I don't care whether or not the club explains to me why Brendon Goddard has not been re-signed at this stage.

I don't even care whether or not the club explains to me the true nature of Sam Fisher's hamstring injury.

But I do care about knowing the club's vision about NZ and the future in general.
Quite possibly the most intelligent post in the history of Saintsational.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Whats the odds we lose to both Port and Freo when we play them there, and this place blows up saying how we just sold off 8 Premiership Points...

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:If a deal is done then a deal is done.

And if a deal is done then the most important thing the club can do is to ensure the players, members and supporters are brought on board. They must convince them that this is a great opportunity and that it will help to ensure the club survives as a Victorian based entity into the foresabble future. If it can convince the stakeholders that it will help grow the club into a powerhouse then all the better.

I don't care whether or not the club explains to me why Tom Ledger is not currently being selected.

I don't care whether or not the club explains to me why Brendon Goddard has not been re-signed at this stage.

I don't even care whether or not the club explains to me the true nature of Sam Fisher's hamstring injury.

But I do care about knowing the club's vision about NZ and the future in general.
Quite possibly the most intelligent post in the history of Saintsational.
But is Dr Spaceman Jesus? Or is he Tommy Walsh? Or even Ledger perhaps???

So if it's 2 H&A games for a mill that's ok.

I couldn't give a stuff about the nab cup. They can play all their nab crap games in NZ for all I care.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Whats the odds we lose to both Port and Freo when we play them there, and this place blows up saying how we just sold off 8 Premiership Points...
$1.03

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:Pros

Significant profit for the club. Could be the difference between an overall profit or loss.

Exposure in an untapped developing market.

Support from the AFL who are keen to develop the game internationally.

Helps sure up the financial future of the club.

Potenial (albeit small) membership gain.

Minimise away games interstate (Hawthorn only play 3 interstate games other than Tasmania).

Maximise away games in Melbourne, as the make up games for members will have to be at Etihad or the MCG.

Maximum exposure on Anzac Day.

The club is proactive about growing and promoting to sure up it's future.
Lots of good pro's there.

Some cons

Two premiership home games away from Etihad

Less bang for membership buck

More travel for if interstate games aren't lowered (at least both teams have to travel to NZ).

Pros definately outweigh the cons.

Also happy with two H&A and a NAB Cup game.

Also impressed with James Rose's KiwiKick numbers.

AND

James Rose is correct - Wellington takes to one off games. Bulldogs in the rl get very big crowds, although the Chiefs (I think they are Wellington) get very poor crowds (or so it seems).

Am warming to the idea more and more.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The AFL are in support of a NZ move, which means that "launch funds" would very likely be made available.

Legendary
Club Player

plugger66 - a few questions/reasons why I support the NZ move ....

1) There is a large participation in the equivalent of Auskick in NZ - this has already been mentioned. Of these thousands of kids who are participating, (most/all) have two parents, which multiplies again the number of people who are aware of AFL football and have some involvement in it. Don't you think this is an untapped market for AFL football? Particularly as they have cricket grounds over there big enough to play the matches on ...

2) What if the AFL reduced the number of times St Kilda had to travel interstate next year - gave us 4 trips + 2 NZ trips for example?

3) The move has the potential to bring in some sponsorship $ from NZ, as the Saints will have exposure to NZ companies who are looking to invest/raise their profile in the Australia market, and vice-versa? Even if we are getting say $400k per game profit from playing over there, we might be bringing an extra $500k a year in sponsorship?

4) I have some friends who live in NZ and they tell me that many people over there quite enjoy watching AFL football - they aren't particularly passionate about it, but they do enjoy the game. 2-3 games a year in Wellington would be a good novelty/event factor, and this sort of evidence suggests we might get a crowd?

5) Reverse-immigration factor: thousands of NZ'ers move to Australia each year, particularly to Qld. Many of them I'm sure have taken up following AFL, or at least have some sort of interest in it. There is a chance to exploit that link and maybe encourage some of those people to go back home for a visit each year when the game is on?

6) Victoria cannot support 10 teams @ $100m a year revenue, which is what Collingwood is approaching. The next broadcast rights deal is every chance to reduce in value, as advertising revenue in television generally is in decline, and it is unlikely Ch 9 and Ch 10 will be in a position to bid for the rights due to their financial situations, which leaves little competition. So either Victoria sacrifices a couple of teams, puts caps on club revenue/football spending .... or St Kilda does the smart thing and looks for opportunities elsewhere that strengthen our bottom line, whilst allowing us to remain a Victorian club.

defacto
Club Player

This is extremely exciting. Better than the norf deal. Doggies were interested in this and go no where. Imagine how the doggies supporters feel now. More pressure will be put on them at etihad

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I had a relative that was the mayor of St kilda in NZ shame it's some back water in the middle of nowhere. Apparently there isn't much of a population for us to pinch supporters from.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:plugger66 - a few questions/reasons why I support the NZ move ....

1) There is a large participation in the equivalent of Auskick in NZ - this has already been mentioned. Of these thousands of kids who are participating, (most/all) have two parents, which multiplies again the number of people who are aware of AFL football and have some involvement in it. Don't you think this is an untapped market for AFL football? Particularly as they have cricket grounds over there big enough to play the matches on ...

2) What if the AFL reduced the number of times St Kilda had to travel interstate next year - gave us 4 trips + 2 NZ trips for example?

3) The move has the potential to bring in some sponsorship $ from NZ, as the Saints will have exposure to NZ companies who are looking to invest/raise their profile in the Australia market, and vice-versa? Even if we are getting say $400k per game profit from playing over there, we might be bringing an extra $500k a year in sponsorship?

4) I have some friends who live in NZ and they tell me that many people over there quite enjoy watching AFL football - they aren't particularly passionate about it, but they do enjoy the game. 2-3 games a year in Wellington would be a good novelty/event factor, and this sort of evidence suggests we might get a crowd?

5) Reverse-immigration factor: thousands of NZ'ers move to Australia each year, particularly to Qld. Many of them I'm sure have taken up following AFL, or at least have some sort of interest in it. There is a chance to exploit that link and maybe encourage some of those people to go back home for a visit each year when the game is on?

6) Victoria cannot support 10 teams @ $100m a year revenue, which is what Collingwood is approaching. The next broadcast rights deal is every chance to reduce in value, as advertising revenue in television generally is in decline, and it is unlikely Ch 9 and Ch 10 will be in a position to bid for the rights due to their financial situations, which leaves little competition. So either Victoria sacrifices a couple of teams, puts caps on club revenue/football spending .... or St Kilda does the smart thing and looks for opportunities elsewhere that strengthen our bottom line, whilst allowing us to remain a Victorian club.

Firstly it is good 20k play Auskick but it means bugger all really. Soccer is the most participated sport in Australia but apart Victory no one watches it. Point 2. great if we still played 6. Then it makes no difference really where we play but i doubt we will get, more likely 7 which means one less Victorian game. Isnt much but may put a few supporters over the edge in buying memberships. Point 3. Sounds good. If it works a huge bonus. Point 4. Cant see AFL working at all in NZ but we wont know until we go there. Point5. Dont care. Point 6. You are correct no way will 10 sides stay in Victoria but by us going over to NZ we are becoming a chance of one or two of those sides that dont stay here. We join North and Wb as nomads. Dont count the Hawks as they aint going anywhere.

I want it to work and I love our game more than could beleive. It controls my life with my local club and the Saints and occasionally Sandy but I dont reckon NZ give a stuff about the game. I want to be wrong and I usually am so good luck saints. And this isnt coming from a supporter personally worried about losing a game or two because i will still pretty much see the same amount of games live anyway.

Richter
SS Life Member

Let's face it we need to generate $$ from somewhere... as one of the smaller Melbourne Clubs financially it is beholden upon us to do something like this. I personally don't like it as I love going to games live to see the Saints... BUT

Think of it as being either sell 2 H&A games to NZ for $1m or only pay 90% of the salary cap... in years to come it's the difference between keeping an elite player (like BJ) and letting him go on free agency.

I would choose to sacrifice seeing 2 games live for the benefit of keeping a gun player or two.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see us play home games there in a wooly tri color jumper...

“Yeah….nah””
Austinnn
Club Player

I don't think it's a bad move, it's a pragmatic solution to a problem. Personally, I'd be more in favor of matches in NT or Tasmania, but that ship has sailed.

I really don't know enough about the issue to make an informed opinion (I know that doesn't stop a lot of people), but I'll give the Nail On The Head Xmas Hamper to James Rose for his simple yet 100% correct post:
james rose wrote:Really simple way for the fans to avoid us selling home games.

TURN UP!

The numbers we have been getting leave the club with little choice.
Money talks and bulls*** walks as Bobbi Flekman once said. Seen the attendance at Saints games recently? Don't ask what your club can do for you, but what you can do for your club. We're called "supporters" for a reason. Going to the games despite the inconvenience and creating an atmosphere that people watching on TV might want to be part of would be far more useful than spending your time on Saintsational. Damn I wish I could get to those games, especially this weekend. Got a feeling about this game!

Another useful thing we could do would be to represent the Club in a positive strong respectable passionate way, not being petty or boorish or in-fighting. The moaning must cease and we must not allow ourselves to be limited by the old ideals.

I like where this club has been heading ever since the previous administration got started, I think its up to us fans now to move ahead with the club. This isn't a dig at the OP or any particular poster, just a general idea.

We need more supporters, so the club needs to think of a way to attract them. If you have ideas that you think can win the club 10000 young supporters, let them know, or even better, start it yourself!

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:KiwiKick (Oz Kick equivalent), started March 2009 with 41 participants, 2010 had 8152, 2011 had 15210, projected for 2012, 24000. By the end 2011 had 309 accredited coaches.

Would indicate there is interest.
fair stats. thanks james. they are interesting no doubt for the juniors... BUT i think those stats you have for juniors might be a bit like netball stats - yeah great participation rates for kids is one thing - translating through to interest from adults and tv and corporates etc is a WHOLE different kettle of fish.

will take real work to translate that up to adults. having lived in nz for a year (auckland) i can say there is absolutely zero interest in our game - and moreover downright hostility even to the mention of it.

im tipping kiwis wont give a flying stuff about our game - and we will be downright hostile to having us there.

just MO folks.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote: Also impressed with James Rose's KiwiKick numbers.

AND

James Rose is correct - Wellington takes to one off games. Bulldogs in the rl get very big crowds, although the Chiefs (I think they are Wellington) get very poor crowds (or so it seems).

Am warming to the idea more and more.
id be very cautious of how you treat the kiwi kick numbers..... how many junior registered netball players in australia do you think there are?

how many members do the melbourne vixens have?

noob
Club Player

I've got no doubt we won't be playing a west australian team over there if it gets a go ahead. We wouldn't ever get that advantage. Besides if the saints wanted it on ANZAC day every year they'd probably pick a victorian team that doesn't have to travel as far.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

If the afl want to promote the game in nz they should give us a sweet deal - one home game there, one away game there, one nab game - payoff should be less interstate games and lots of money. If we lose two home games or more home games we will probably lose quite a few members over it.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
The Craw
Club Player

plugger66 wrote: Firstly it is good 20k play Auskick but it means bugger all really. Soccer is the most participated sport in Australia but apart Victory no one watches it.
Watching the A-league is like watching the 1st division of the EDFL.

What you have is the worlds best, playing an Aust Rules football game in a geographic location similar to Melbourne in a sports mad city.

Great Idea I say.

Not Craw, CRAW!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

SideshowMilne wrote:Any talk of the Anzac Day game time. Any bets Eddie is behind the scenes ensuring it runs at night as therefore same time (and TV slot) as 'his' game.
Why would a Carlton player have any say in it what so ever :wink:

It's not so bad. As members we would get two "compensation games" in Melbourne where we are the away team but get seats. Just like the Hawks members and the Tasmania deal they get their compensation games so it doesn't matter in that regard.

I have no idea if we would gather any fans or money direct from New Zealanders but if the AFL is gonna pay money then I guess it is ok. I was playing online poker once with a middle aged New Zealand lady and they get the AFL footy show over there and she watches it every week lol.

GO SAINTS GO
Middo
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:So the paper today says we are close to signing up to play 2 to 3 games in NZ and we will get about a million dollars. My opinion is that it is a stupid move. The reason being it will probably get us bugger all supporters as NZ is not a footy place at all. They love their Rugby to much to worry about the game. Yes we get a million but unlike the Hawks or even North we will get bugger all members out of it. I hope it is 2 games at the most and it would have to be against interstate sides so we dont lose games against Victorian sides. This will almost certainly mean at least 7 travels next season as well. It is obvious the club is struggling for money or it wouldnt do this but 2 years ago we made over a million dollars. What has happened since then. Obviously spend has gone up but we need to find other ways of getting revenue other than going overseas to play. For a start if we want to go you need a passport which is a hassle and an expense that some people just will not bother with.

There isnt anything we can do about this and it is a waste of time to whinge but I just felt I needed to get it off my chest. Others will say it is a good move and i hope they prove correct I just cant see it. Can anyone give me other positives apart from a million dollars which is $800000 clear profit as you are guaranteed a $100000 a game at Etihad.

Reckon the club and the powers that be would know more than people on here !!! :roll: :roll:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Maybe we could relocate there in a few years???

I'm not sure I understand why people who think moving out of Tas was good, yet moving into NZ is good..... Contradictory

Good supporting though,

principles....meh...

battye
Saintsational Legend

Don't particularly like the idea because I agree that AFL will go off in NZ like a lead balloon - even though it doesn't affect me anyway as a West Australian - but if it's going to help secure the long term future of the club in Melbourne then it has to be a good thing.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
andrewg
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:This thread is full of s*** as everyone is putting their own interests before the club. I believe within the next 10 years the Bulldogs and North won't exist in Melbourne. Think about it!
The tv rights wouldn't stop this from happening???