Ledger shafted again!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ledger shafted again!

To the top wrote:And, he is now 32 years of age - and hardly a Hayes.
You're a funny man, but I admire your persistence…
He's 4th on our all time goal-kicking table and fast approaching 250 senior matches.
He'll retire soon as one the greatest small forwards of all time and you can finally relax… and perhaps feel oddly vindicated.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Rumored to have already signed with Melbourne for next year and thats why Watters wont play him...

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

To the top wrote:Why the hype over Ledger?
Coz...
Old Mate wrote:All I know is Ledger has been consistently in Sandy's best players and still isn't considered in the best 25 for St Kilda. Weird.
Also coz he's quick, tenacious, inside and outside/run n' carry player, kicks long and well with both feet, likes a goal, performed well whenever given a senior game previously - only stopped out by injury. That's his past and present. I reckon with game time and a chance to settle in, his future will be even better for us.
Eastern wrote:I'm guessing that Tommy Ledger has some deficiencies that need to be addressed before he is selected. Things like; building a BIGGER tank, building confidence in his body etc. The one thing that I am sure about is that the coaches, fitness staff & medicos would know a whole lot more about the situation than anyone on here. I have faith in those running the club. Ledger will be selected if/when the powers believe he warrants selection !!
I share your faith Eastern, and I hope that all the powers that be want Ledge' in our starting team soon.
To the top wrote:Based on our second half performance against West Coast when our midfielders got us back into the game by a fierce attack on the ball and the player who do you drop? Dal Santo, Hayes, Montagna Steven, Jones, Armitage?
I can think of '1'. :evil:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Sobraz wrote:Rumored to have already signed with Melbourne for next year and thats why Watters wont play him...
If that's true it'll cost the Dreamons Jack Wattshisname or (preferably) their number 90 draft pick... :lol:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Is he a midfielder?

Pretty hard to break in I reckon, I mean this group won the clearances v Nic-Nat and Cox.

It may just be that simple?

PJ
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:Milne is a downhill skier P99.

My opinion, always has been and I am sticking to it because I see no evidence to the contary.

He skirts with his hand in the air, attempts to play as a tall forward who can outmark his opponent (and all sides have woken up and now put bigger bodied players on him (Harry "let me have a run" from Collingwood and who else has been best on ground as his opponent?) which also negates him from leading his opponent under the ball and then dropping back behind them looking for the cheap kick), occasionally but very occasionally leads (once last Saturday), is not a crumbing/front and centre/lock in forward, has very average ball use skills except for when in range of goal (where his skills are diminishing with now frequent misses) and applies very limited defensive pressure including because he lacks pace.

The upshot is that he kicks his goals running in space (and around corners) not by contesting. Relies exclusively on being the beneficiary.

Plus he is in the upper echelon of "Frees against" across the league including because he does not give off - hence all the "holding the ball" decisions - and a free disposal in defence these days (even from a point) is an invitation to score at the other end and particularly when you can put absolutely no chase pressure on.

So pick the eyes out of that!

And, he is now 32 years of age - and hardly a Hayes.
Fact - he kicks goals

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
PJ
SS Life Member

Ledger at this point won't get a game ahead of Hayes, Steven or Armitage. That's who he has to replace. He's not a defender, not a forward, not a ruckman, not a key position player - he's a mid. Wilkes and Stanley went out....it's pretty straight forward.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Is he a midfielder?

Pretty hard to break in I reckon, I mean this group won the clearances v Nic-Nat and Cox.

It may just be that simple?
You don't think he could play the role Cripps has played K. What about the sub role? What does Cripps bring that Ledger doesn't in the sub role. Siposs played on the wing when he played.
The fact Ledger is a midfielder is not a fair arguement for him not getting a game. I would have thought, an in and under midfield runner who can kick on both feet would be ideal as a sub. May have helped in the last qtr at Subi last week when our comeback hit a brick wall due to fatigue. Just my opinion.

Cripps is not playing in the midfield. Ledger is too short to play anywhere else except perhaps forward where we currently have Milne, Milera and Saad. Which one of those should go out?

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

I'd take ledger in front of Nuenes.

Ledger may be a bit raw but Neunes is raw as F***.

I know this will draw the ire of many on here, but I didn't really see anything about Nuenes that looked particularly good in the games he played for us.

Hope he proves me wrong...

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:I'd take ledger in front of Nuenes.

Ledger may be a bit raw but Neunes is raw as F***.

I know this will draw the ire of many on here, but I didn't really see anything about Nuenes that looked particularly good in the games he played for us.

Hope he proves me wrong...
But what about Newnes? :P

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Ledger at this point won't get a game ahead of Hayes, Steven or Armitage. That's who he has to replace. He's not a defender, not a forward, not a ruckman, not a key position player - he's a mid. Wilkes and Stanley went out....it's pretty straight forward.
What do you class Cripps, Siposs and Newnes as. Where do they fit into your side? Obviously in a different class to Ledger. Heard of the Sub. :?

8856brother wrote:
PJ wrote:Ledger at this point won't get a game ahead of Hayes, Steven or Armitage. That's who he has to replace. He's not a defender, not a forward, not a ruckman, not a key position player - he's a mid. Wilkes and Stanley went out....it's pretty straight forward.
What do you class Cripps, Siposs and Newnes as. Where do they fit into your side? Obviously in a different class to Ledger. Heard of the Sub. :?
Cripps, Sipposs and Newnes are more flanker types. Newnes has great awareness and uses the ball well. Sipposs has a deadly leg and a good mark. Cripps can generate run off the back line. All 3 are different players to Ledger - he is an in and under mid.

The sub isn't a position :roll: a sub needs versatility. Ledger is a pure mid, short, light weight but a ball winner.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ive no doubt Ledger could do Cripps role.

To not even crack an emergency.....is odd.

“Yeah….nah””
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

To The Top's opinion on Milne is a joke.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
PJ
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:Ive no doubt Ledger could do Cripps role.

What role is that?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
Teflon wrote:Ive no doubt Ledger could do Cripps role.

What role is that?
Exactly. We have a winner.

You clearly didn't get it but that's not surprising. So tell us oh prophetic one what role does Scott have in mind for Cripps? I'd like the "save ledger" lobby to outline what skills he brings and who in the team he replaces?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

In
Ledger
Out
Cripps

Why..... Because ledger has showed more in intra clubs, pre season games, afl games, VFL games so far...

Really, I'd just like to see three things from cripps...who is an outside player
Skill by foot....he has yet to do this
15 possessions
Get through 4 qtrs without getting injured from a contest

PJ
SS Life Member

What position does Ledger play when he comes in? Who goes out? Can Ledger cover several roles? Does he have versatilty?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Oh dear... the new Tommy Walsh.

My god do we have to have the same tiresome arguments each and every year but use a different player?

Hardly anyone of you have seen ledger play but DEMAND he gets a game :roll: :roll:

Face it, you ALL know SFA when it comes to selection and why a player is or is not picked.

And no explanation is needed. FFS get over your own self importance :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:What position does Ledger play when he comes in? Who goes out? Can Ledger cover several roles? Does he have versatilty?

No one will answer because harldy anyone of his most ardent admirers have EVER seen him play.

They wouldn't know.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He was on the Telly just the other week

He plays regularly at TBBO...Visy Park, Vi Park.... A few have seen him get around....

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:What position does Ledger play when he comes in? Who goes out? Can Ledger cover several roles? Does he have versatilty?

Why couldnt Ledger play a sub role? - even if that sub role meant he went fwd cause Milne went awol? or to midfield cause Armo went awol??

Are you saying he already at such a young career age is purely pencilled in as a mid and thats it? - tad early for mine.

Ledger IMHO can play the sub role Cripps has in past - infact, id like to compare their output because what is FACT right now is that Legers output both pre season and in VFL across this year eclipses Cripps.

IF we get 1 good game in 10 from Armo does Ledger get a look at that? Could his output equal that of Armo's last game? (and lets be honest prior to that Armo hadnt been setting the world on fire...)...and neither has this team over the year thus far tbh.

FWIW i also reckon Ledger could be trained as a tagger (wasted) but he could do it and surely his footskills alone are a step up on Jones???

I think there are multiple roles he could play. He's put his hand up with good performances in VFL and for some reason cant crack an emergency gig over Schneider whose played 1 VFL game in 2 mths....?????

Odd.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Why couldnt Ledger play a sub role? - even if that sub role meant he went fwd cause Milne went awol? or to midfield cause Armo went awol??

Are you saying he already at such a young career age is purely pencilled in as a mid and thats it? - tad early for mine.

Ledger IMHO can play the sub role Cripps has in past - infact, id like to compare their output because what is FACT right now is that Legers output both pre season and in VFL across this year eclipses Cripps.

IF we get 1 good game in 10 from Armo does Ledger get a look at that? Could his output equal that of Armo's last game? (and lets be honest prior to that Armo hadnt been setting the world on fire...)...and neither has this team over the year thus far tbh.

FWIW i also reckon Ledger could be trained as a tagger (wasted) but he could do it and surely his footskills alone are a step up on Jones???

I think there are multiple roles he could play. He's put his hand up with good performances in VFL and for some reason cant crack an emergency gig over Schneider whose played 1 VFL game in 2 mths....?????

Odd.

Surely Cripps deserved hi spot this week though. He played his best game for the club last week so it would be very harsh to drop him.