I Love Saad...But

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Batnoe
Club Player

I Love Saad...But

I am glad he has come on... he is a cult hero and could be for 10 or so years. However i believe unless he learns to kick on both sides of the footy he will become increasingly frustrating.

I like how he takes the game on and tries to run past an opponent, but if he had a left side he wouldnt have to run back onto his right...

My question is, do we just continue to barrack for him as a cult hero. or will it become too frustrating to watch an AFL able player that cant kick both sides?

Carn Saints
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Re: I Love Saad...But

Batnoe wrote:I am glad he has come on... he is a cult hero and could be for 10 or so years. However i believe unless he learns to kick on both sides of the footy he will become increasingly frustrating.

I like how he takes the game on and tries to run past an opponent, but if he had a left side he wouldnt have to run back onto his right...

My question is, do we just continue to barrack for him as a cult hero. or will it become too frustrating to watch an AFL able player that cant kick both sides?

We already have several players who can't kick both sides - Gilbert, CJ, Gram... is it any coincidence that these guys are the worst kicks in our side as well?

The Saints are coming!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe, are you referring to that last quarter effort where he took on Glass? I couldn't believe my eyes. He had him beat and then tries to cut back in toward Glass so that he could get on his right foot. A player of Glass' experience doesn't need two bites at the cherry. He wrapped him up for a holding the ball decision, and the game was pretty much dusted from that point on. Glass probably couldn't believe his luck. It looked like Saad was going to scoot past him easily and have a shot on his left foot.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Seems to be harder for guys who start the game later than others… He's only played AFL for a few years, so has probably focused on his strengths so far to get where he has… also some guys just never get comfortable withe their wrong foot. Hopefully he learns to disguise his weakness better in the meantime.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:Batnoe, are you referring to that last quarter effort where he took on Glass? I couldn't believe my eyes. He had him beat and then tries to cut back in toward Glass so that he could get on his right foot. A player of Glass' experience doesn't need two bites at the cherry. He wrapped him up for a holding the ball decision, and the game was pretty much dusted from that point on. Glass probably couldn't believe his luck. It looked like Saad was going to scoot past him easily and have a shot on his left foot.
Saad will make it work. He looks a very clever footballer so I have no doubt that regardless of him not being able to kick too well from the opposite foot he should be ok.

StevieSaint
Club Player

Give him time, it is something he will consolidate over the next few years. He's been clever enough to make it this far coming from soccer and I believe he will get it right in the not to distant future

GO SAINTS GO
Sobraz
SS Life Member

I've said this from before his selection, and got somewhat howled down for daring to question his skills and potential...

It is a massive weakness, that will be exploited the more he is exposed to the top level...

That last quarter effort showed just how limited he is... At the top level, opposition coaches and players will work him out very quickly, and his effectiveness will plummet..

Has many great qualities to work with and is certainly worth a spot and persisting with, but he has a looonnnggg way to go IMO... along the way he'll certainly have things go his way and occasionally break out, but there will be hurdles he'll need to jump...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:…along the way he'll certainly have things go his way and occasionally break out, but there will be hurdles he'll need to jump...
This cold really apply to every young player surely?
His main weaknesses are obvious, but with such little footy so far, we can't tell whether he'll be able to overcome them or not.
From his 2.5 games so far, I will go out on a limb and say that I would rather him in the forward line than McQualter, Eddy or even Peake. Great pace, fierce tackler and loves a goal… can't say those three things apply to too many on our list.
How many goals do Milne/Roo/Kosi kick on their left?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:I've said this from before his selection, and got somewhat howled down for daring to question his skills and potential...

It is a massive weakness, that will be exploited the more he is exposed to the top level...

That last quarter effort showed just how limited he is... At the top level, opposition coaches and players will work him out very quickly, and his effectiveness will plummet..

Has many great qualities to work with and is certainly worth a spot and persisting with, but he has a looonnnggg way to go IMO... along the way he'll certainly have things go his way and occasionally break out, but there will be hurdles he'll need to jump...
But if he is quicker than most players in the league then surely he will be ok?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Sobraz wrote:…along the way he'll certainly have things go his way and occasionally break out, but there will be hurdles he'll need to jump...
This cold really apply to every young player surely?
His main weaknesses are obvious, but with such little footy so far, we can't tell whether he'll be able to overcome them or not.
From his 2.5 games so far, I will go out on a limb and say that I would rather him in the forward line than McQualter, Eddy or even Peake. Great pace, fierce tackler and loves a goal… can't say those three things apply to too many on our list.
How many goals do Milne/Roo/Kosi kick on their left?

Yep. Certainly happy to have him in the team. No-one comes in ready made (or very few) His pace and tackling are electric. Have seen Milera have the odd brain fade as well. Also Milera needs to get stronger and tougher. But still happy to see them both in the fwd line. Adds that excitement that we've been lacking for awhile. Those small fwds can ignite a team. Under Lyon we were very calculating, very structured, almost robotic how we went into our fwd line. There were very few exciting goals that lifted the crowd and the team. It was almost invariably a chip up short pass. We played the percentages and we were good at it. We became predictable to ourselves but also the opposition. Was hard to get the crowd into the game though.

Look at Milney two Monday's ago. He has that X factor that gets us going. Getting into Joseph in the 1st 1/4 sparked us right up. Got the supporters excited and made the contest fantastic. Once Milerea and Saad got involved it was as good a game as I've seen for awhile from us in terms of excitement. I reckon we'll just have to live with a few of the deficiencies in Saad's game for awhile, just like we lived with Milney's. As long as the good outweighs the bad and he's prepared to work at the bad....

Batnoe
Club Player

There has been more than just the Glass occasion... Thankfully the other one was where he scooted around a few Carlton players and got the goal, but he started on his left and realised he couldnt kick with his left... He should make it work, however other teams will know just stand on his right side and he will be a lot less damaging.

In terms of not being able to kick with his left foot... i would assume playing soccer growning up would have given him the chance to learn both feet then.

I hope he makes it, i hope he kills it and i hope he doesnt frustrate with his lack of both sides!

Carn Saints
jays
Club Player

still pretty young

Sobraz
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
Not disagreeing with this at all... Definitely has enough upside and natural talent that he could certainly develop into a wonderful player..

Not many players kick goals on their wrong foot, but most can turn onto it in general play and not corner themselves.. This is all that Saad needs to do... Doesn't need to be Aussie Jones on his left, or even Clinton Jones for that matter... Just as a bail out option, needs to be worked on...

andrewg
Club Player

Mmmm interesting thread. Maybe we bring back Mcwalter he was a great kick on both feet! Perspective please...... SAAAAAADD!

andrewg
Club Player

Maybe Jason Daniels:)
Last edited by andrewg on Wed 23 May 2012 7:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

paddy
Club Player

Think he is great,

just needs to be ablt to kick a checkside dribble to get through goals.... like what goddard did when Saad was tripped in front of goals on monday night.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We have a lot of players in the team that struggle to kick goals with any feet....so that puts Saad in front of most.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He plays unlike any forward in the game -he seems to toe poke the ball after throwing it up like a primary school kid or jagging off his instep. You can still see the soccer coming out. He is a player who is a little unpredictable because he doesn't play the normal game. Might get away with lots as well as getting caught occasionally.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

One preseason focussing on it and it's a non-issue.

avid
Club Player

Judging from his YouTube highlights, and one goal attaempt against WC, he tries to slew it off his right boot rather hook it with his left. He looks like he's almost mastered it. It's completely outside the coaching manual, and horrible, but maybe it will be his crazy/brilliant trademark. Go the Saad!
(After all, we now celebrate Milney for being a complete idiot playing on etc etc. It's how he does it)

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

It would be nice if he could kick both feet. It's a lot easier to teach a little bloke. Hopefully, he learnt a lesson. If he is still doing it after 30 games, then there will be a problem. Of course, what he should have done was run to the left first off and make Glass commit. Easier in front of the tellie than being on the ground in your second game - which was close (at that stage).

bakes
Club Player

Does anyone else think the heat and outdoor factor affected the players? Some of the guys looked down on energy.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Steven is the worst at this...

For someone that refuses to use his opposite the amount of times he deliberately sidesteps to his opposite side is annoying, frustrating and just plain stupid.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:It would be nice if he could kick both feet. It's a lot easier to teach a little bloke. Hopefully, he learnt a lesson. If he is still doing it after 30 games, then there will be a problem. Of course, what he should have done was run to the left first off and make Glass commit. Easier in front of the tellie than being on the ground in your second game - which was close (at that stage).
To me, it looked like he had Glass beat - that's what's so frustrating about that piece of play. HeDID go to the left. If he took about 3 more steps he would just about have got completely past him. For some unknown reason though he cuts inward, and looks like he tries to bounce the ball or something. Ah well, at least he's getting the ball and trying to make the play. I'd much rather that than discussing a player who appears to have trouble even finding the ball on the fwd line. If he keeps getting the ball, eventually he'll work out how to use it properly. Much harder on the fwd line than the backline I reckon. You have to win the ball, and THEN beat your opponent and then either kick a goal or set one up.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think that in the VFL, he took on opponents and knew he could outrun them, but he is learning that at senior level, the standard is a lot higher.