Gilbert's work rate

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Gilbert's work rate

Watching the game I thought Gilbert was really putting in. At one stage his opponent marked just in front of him,and both were absolutely stuffed. Wc's run and spread was far superior to ours, but Gilbert went all the way with his guy. And seemed to be covering others as well. Was like two defenders. Can't fault his effort. Probably too tired sometimes to kick it properly.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:Seriously you need to stop bagging players. Ok to say they arent in form but you take it way over the top. They are trying their guts out.
Hi Plugger, I'm back again and no prize if you guess the topic... :wink:

I totally agree with what you wrote, but particularly your last sentence is the key for me. That's why I don't bag blokes who at various stages have been/are struggling for form; like Gilbo', Wilkesy, Dal, Monty, Roo, Kosi, etc... coz I see them really trying to put in, even if things aren't going their way. That is soooooo admirable (and possibly admiral too :wink: ).

Observing from afar, I don't see Grammy trying or putting in at all. So I have another question, and I'm happy to run with your answer, accepting that you'd know more about it than me... Pluggs, as someone close to the club, do you honestly reckon Grammy is trying his guts out?
Last edited by Dave McNamara on Tue 22 May 2012 10:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saint6709
Club Player

He looks like he can jump - is 5 inches taller than Blake and 5 years younger - he may be the man to take up the rucking slack for the next month - maybe he will re discover himself

saintkid
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Seriously you need to stop bagging players. Ok to say they arent in form but you take it way over the top. They are trying their guts out.

Plugger it's not my intention to bag players to a level way over the top as you put it. Yes I have a habit of being black and white in my comments about some players but with 3 generations of Saints fans in the family and being exposed to countless discussions, video replays and comments well before my time, it can mould you through experience into making some quite stark player assessments and comparisons. If I come across too brutal I offer an apology but players get extremely well paid in today's game with many being full time professionals and it's pretty frustrating seeing continual poor disposal week after week and season after season like in Gilbert's case, since his breakout season in 2009. Or others than just never seem to cut it and struggle to make an impact when the game is there to be won. Yes it's true that we can't have a team of mainly Lennys in the midfield (who, as you probably gathered, is my old man's favourite player by a mile) as Lenny and Harvs before him are essentially a 'once in a life time' player, as another member put it in another post. However, one thing is certain and that is we have a few blokes in the team that can't take it to the next level needed to be a threat again and they are running out of time to prove to us supporters otherwise.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote:

Plugger it's not my intention to bag players to a level way over the top as you put it. Yes I have a habit of being black and white in my comments about some players but with 3 generations of Saints fans in the family and being exposed to countless discussions, video replays and comments well before my time, it can mould you through experience into making some quite stark player assessments and comparisons. If I come across too brutal I offer an apology but players get extremely well paid in today's game with many being full time professionals and it's pretty frustrating seeing continual poor disposal week after week and season after season like in Gilbert's case, since his breakout season in 2009. Or others than just never seem to cut it and struggle to make an impact when the game is there to be won. Yes it's true that we can't have a team of mainly Lennys in the midfield (who, as you probably gathered, is my old man's favourite player by a mile) as Lenny and Harvs before him are essentially a 'once in a life time' player, as another member put it in another post. However, one thing is certain and that is we have a few blokes in the team that can't take it to the next level needed to be a threat again and they are running out of time to prove to us supporters otherwise.

Well I dont care how much you discuss the Saints or watch games or have 3 generations of Saints in your house there is still no need to bag them like you do. Firstly one of those generations should have seen our sides in the 80's and should have explained what bad players play like. And secondly one of those players you have bagged has twice been AA and may just be a little out of form at the moment and the other has come third in a B&F who against in great form. What I have seen of those 2 though is 100% commitment and that is all you can ask. If they give that and arent good enough then bag the selectors for picking them not the players.

starsign
Club Player

His work-rate this year is off the charts. For mine the only blokes close to him are Roo and Jones. Roo especially after the Eagles game, where he turned back the clock, big time. Jones week-in week-out, but again - showed massive heart against the Eagles. Just wish he was smarter with it!

There are plenty of other blokes (Kosi, Simpkin, Hayes, Stanley etc) who have been working their backsides off but for mine none stand out more than Gilbert.

Determination - Personified.[/quote]

"For mine the only blokes close to him are Roo and Jones "
What utter bullshite M8!
The. Bloke you overlook ... NO 7 ...IS "
determination personified" you Blockhead!!

Quixote
SS Life Member

starsign wrote:His work-rate this year is off the charts. For mine the only blokes close to him are Roo and Jones. Roo especially after the Eagles game, where he turned back the clock, big time. Jones week-in week-out, but again - showed massive heart against the Eagles. Just wish he was smarter with it!

There are plenty of other blokes (Kosi, Simpkin, Hayes, Stanley etc) who have been working their backsides off but for mine none stand out more than Gilbert.

Determination - Personified.
"For mine the only blokes close to him are Roo and Jones "
What utter bullshite M8!
The. Bloke you overlook ... NO 7 ...IS "
determination personified" you Blockhead!!
Quixote wrote: "There are plenty of other blokes (Kosi, Simpkin, Hayes, Stanley etc) who have been working their backsides off..."

Calm down ffs. :roll:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo