Gilbert's work rate

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Quixote
SS Life Member

Gilbert's work rate

I've haven't yet watched the replay of the Eagles game just gone by - truth be told, I doubt I ever will - but one thing I wanted to point out from the live viewing...

Anyone who is potting Sam Gilbert is fair dinkum kidding themselves. Yes, he's still shanking a few but this bloke is running harder, contesting harder and just generally trying harder than pretty much anyone in that team at the moment. And, crucially, Gilbert is able to do it on a week-to-week basis. Unlike many.

His work-rate this year is off the charts. For mine the only blokes close to him are Roo and Jones. Roo especially after the Eagles game, where he turned back the clock, big time. Jones week-in week-out, but again - showed massive heart against the Eagles. Just wish he was smarter with it!

There are plenty of other blokes (Kosi, Simpkin, Hayes, Stanley etc) who have been working their backsides off but for mine none stand out more than Gilbert.

Determination - Personified.
Last edited by Quixote on Mon 21 May 2012 10:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gilbert's work rate

Nice post.

Hoping to see him shifted up the ground a bit with the return of Fisher and Gwilt, certainly not out of the side.

saintkid
Club Player

Quixote wrote:I've haven't yet watched the replay of the Eagles game just gone by - truth be told, I doubt I ever will - but one thing I wanted to point out from the live viewing...

Anyone who is potting Sam Gilbert is fair dinkum kidding themselves. Yes, he's still shanking a few but this bloke is running harder, contesting harder and just generally trying harder than pretty much anyone in that team at the moment. And, crucially, Gilbert is able to do it on a week-to-week basis. Unlike many.
His work-rate this year is off the charts. For mine the only blokes close to him are Roo and Jones. Roo especially after the Eagles game, where he turned back the clock, big time. Jones week-in week-out, but again - showed massive heart against the Eagles. Just wish he was smarter with it!

There are plenty of other blokes (Kosi, Simpkin, Hayes, Stanley etc) who have been working their backsides off but for mine none stand out more than Gilbert.

Funniest post I have read tonight. :lol: "Determination-Personified" after 8 great rounds. Geez can't wait to see the Brownlow votes for Gilbert after 8 rounds.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Maybe he is working too hard & not being that smart? When he gets the ball he often looks knackered and just slams it on his foot. What results is a scrubby kick to the opposition and them kicking goals.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Quixote
SS Life Member

WinnersOnly wrote:Maybe he is working too hard & not being that smart? When he gets the ball he often looks knackered and just slams it on his foot. What results is a scrubby kick to the opposition and them kicking goals.
We're talking about Gilbert not Wilkes.

(Gilbert's kicks go out on the full :wink: )
Last edited by Quixote on Mon 21 May 2012 11:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Quixote
SS Life Member

saintkid wrote:
Quixote wrote:I've haven't yet watched the replay of the Eagles game just gone by - truth be told, I doubt I ever will - but one thing I wanted to point out from the live viewing...

Funniest post I have read tonight. :lol: "Determination-Personified" after 8 great rounds. Geez can't wait to see the Brownlow votes for Gilbert after 8 rounds.
Have you taken your vitamins recently?

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
suss
Club Player

I agree - his work without the football is absolutely ridiculous. He absolutely cannot be questioned on his effort. He just needs to work on that dodgy ball drop when he's kicking - miles too high.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Well said Q! :D

I reckon if Sam G just keeps at it things will have to turn his way. It's a real credit to Sam that even though struggling somewhat with his form, he just keeps putting in. Hopefully our number 19's determination personified is a real inspiration to his team mates, including one without the '9' on his back... :oops:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Rosco
Club Player

saintkid wrote: Funniest post I have read tonight. :lol: "Determination-Personified" after 8 great rounds. Geez can't wait to see the Brownlow votes for Gilbert after 8 rounds.
Cos the brownlow is the be all and end all.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Works very hard..... Executes poorly too often...

Has some good tools.... Some weaknesses

To the top
SS Life Member

I would suggest that you add Clarke to that list SainterK.

With the return of Fisher, Clarke and Gwilt to our defensive structure Gilbert's impact on games will lift significantly.

It does surprise me that some players are rated on this forum and others are not, although I do note that Milne's limitations are now being identified by some - as a note to some others!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

So often work rate and clubsmanship blind us IMO

Gilbert's workrate is first rate... as is Jones', McQualter's, Eddy's etc

That's the type of mentality that sees Leeny Hayes and Brendon Goddard play two of the best individual grandfinal games of all time but the match still winds up a draw due to the 6 or so passengers we carry with their great workrate

He's an average player... didn't live up to the hype of his early years and IMO fast approaching a liability based on form if not already there.

Given he's had a solid crack at it for 2 years now w/o really being dropped... well its clear we're gaining nothing by playing him
Last edited by skeptic on Tue 22 May 2012 2:34am, edited 1 time in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Harsh but fair IMO

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i agree. people are over harsh on gilbo. he seems like the kind of guy who responds to encouragement. not bagging. he really does try very hard. sometimes he puts his head down and gets down on himself too easily. but the bloke just wants some love i think.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yup new whipping boy
i had to pick someone i guess

dont see all the good stuff off the ball on the box
i see turnovers
its frustrating knowing that he has been at a much higher level previously

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

If I was picked in next week's team I'm sure my workrate would be fantastic. I'd get to plenty of contests.

But I can't mark and I can't kick and I'm not very strong or co-ordinated. Is that going to be a problem?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
stevie
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:If I was picked in next week's team I'm sure my workrate would be fantastic. I'd get to plenty of contests.

But I can't mark and I can't kick and I'm not very strong or co-ordinated. Is that going to be a problem?
Nope. Congratulations...you're the new captain of the Dees!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:I would suggest that you add Clarke to that list SainterK.

With the return of Fisher, Clarke and Gwilt to our defensive structure Gilbert's impact on games will lift significantly.

It does surprise me that some players are rated on this forum and others are not, although I do note that Milne's limitations are now being identified by some - as a note to some others!

You really do have a problem. And why didnt you post the week before. Thats right Milne played very well in a big game. The funny thing is you stick up for Clarke who over 8 seasons has proven to be just an average footballer but bag Milne who over 11 seasons has proven to be one of the great small forwards in AFL history. And he plays every week doesnt get injured really at all. And then there is Cahill who you thought could replace Milne and Johnson who you thought could replace Zac. I notice neither of those players play AFL anymore where as the other 2 do.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Good ordinary player

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

He runs funny.

saintkid
Club Player

stevie wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:If I was picked in next week's team I'm sure my workrate would be fantastic. I'd get to plenty of contests.

Nope. Congratulations...you're the new captain of the Dees!
lol :lol:

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote:

You, my friend, are the funny one. To make your point by pointing out how many brownlow votes he may, or may not have is gold. I agree with the OP. He is not playing that well but he can play. We have all seen it. Can't accuse him of not trying at the moment. He is working his arse off. You can clearly see his effort. There's a few you can't.

Thanks for making me laugh with your childish comparison. :P :roll: :?

Club Player

8856brother wrote:
saintkid wrote:

You, my friend, are the funny one. To make your point by pointing out how many brownlow votes he may, or may not have is gold. I agree with the OP. He is not playing that well but he can play. We have all seen it. Can't accuse him of not trying at the moment. He is working his arse off. You can clearly see his effort. There's a few you can't.

Childish comparison?? :?
OK then stuff the brownlow as seems mainly dud players win that judging by your 'gold' comment. Well let's see how he has rated at the year's end in the club Best & Fairest count after 8 rounds. based on his brilliant, benchmarking level of trying.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I think he looks like an Avatar when he runs.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote:
8856brother wrote:
saintkid wrote:

Childish comparison?? :?
OK then stuff the brownlow as seems mainly dud players win that judging by your 'gold' comment. Well let's see how he has rated at the year's end in the club Best & Fairest count after 8 rounds. based on his brilliant, benchmarking level of trying.

Seriously you need to stop bagging players. Ok to say they arent in form but you take it way over the top. They are trying their guts out.