Polo v magner

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

manoffewwords
Club Player

Polo v magner

Not sure of their physical stats but it seems polo and manger might be similar players.
We had magner right under our nose and let him go maybe because of his disposal and decision making. We kept polo.

Did we keep the right one? Or are they both just ordinary players and it doesn't matter. Saw magner do thre good things last night in the 10 minutes I watched of the game and it had me thinking.

Mofw

Say something once why say it again?
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Polo v magner

Magner is tough, wins the hard ball but too often blazes away or misses the target. Was Polo contracted? Its been said on here enough that while he has some tricks, his disposal lets him down and we already have enough of those players...

Word on here prior to the draft had us dead keen on Horsely, was going to us in many phantom drafts which i acknowledge means jack. Anyway, have seen a lot less of him than Mags but I reckon he is the goods and wish we got him. Wont be losing sleep over it though I have faith in the kids we got this year.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Richter
SS Life Member

I think the treatment of Polo this year says something about the direction that the coach sees the team going in. He's played some good games - Port, Melbourne, Hawks spring to mind - but despite this he is seen as only on the edge of selection.... because whilst he is a good contested ball player, he has poor disposal... a terrific 'role player' that would have added something to a RL style of game, but which Watters I think ultimately sees as supernumerary to requirements.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Richter wrote:I think the treatment of Polo this year says something about the direction that the coach sees the team going in. He's played some good games - Port, Melbourne, Hawks spring to mind - but despite this he is seen as only on the edge of selection.... because whilst he is a good contested ball player, he has poor disposal... a terrific 'role player' that would have added something to a RL style of game, but which Watters I think ultimately sees as supernumerary to requirements.
Considering we probably are not going to win a flag anytime soon I would much rather Polo's spot going to a youngen so we can at least find out if he will be a little better than what we have at the present.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

They are both cut from the same mould, can get plenty of it, but do bugger all with it. Neither should get a game for St Kilda.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Richter
SS Life Member

The Redeemer wrote:
Richter wrote:I think the treatment of Polo this year says something about the direction that the coach sees the team going in. He's played some good games - Port, Melbourne, Hawks spring to mind - but despite this he is seen as only on the edge of selection.... because whilst he is a good contested ball player, he has poor disposal... a terrific 'role player' that would have added something to a RL style of game, but which Watters I think ultimately sees as supernumerary to requirements.
Considering we probably are not going to win a flag anytime soon I would much rather Polo's spot going to a youngen so we can at least find out if he will be a little better than what we have at the present.
That's my roundabout point! That despite some serviceable performances he has still been dropped... presumably with Farren Ray returning... to keep open a spot for a new player.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think Polo is more adaptable as he can play more than just in and under roles. His disposal is surprisingly good but under pressure he looks mentally rushed and can make poor decisions. He has improved and is getting better though. Farren is more of a fair comparison to the role Polo usually gets as he plays as a defensive runner and utility able to stop gap holes elsewhere. Polo is hard to give a permanent role to as he is a jack of all trades and master of none. Ok mark, medium paced, good hands, average kick, ironically played his best game recently but lost his spot to Ray.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Both would be #30+ players in a good side...

Shows we have slid quite a long way...

Both not AFL level...

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

not saying that polo is any better , but magner is preforming well for the dees , a team that is winless with a precentage of 57 .

In red white and black from 73