Monday Night Football Sucks!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Monday Night Football Sucks!

Enrico_Misso wrote:
SaintPav wrote:7:40 pm start is too late and at least last year they had it on an earlier time slot.
I did not vote to have Monday night games. Members should get a say about this.
Agree on the timeslot.
It should be 7:10.
Make the TV put it on delay.

As for having a vote
- why would you expect members to have any say in key decisions?

Just like we got no say in expanding the competition to include the unwanted, unsustainable GC B@stards and GWS Falafels :evil:

Then you wold whinge its delayed. fail to see how half an hour matters in the scheme of life. Seriously have we got anymore things we can whinge about.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:Why on earth is it a 740 start? Should have made it at least a half hour earlier for all audiences.
7.10 would be better.

In past years, it was a 7.20 start time but 7.50 on TV.

At least it's live now.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:
SaintPav wrote:7:40 pm start is too late and at least last year they had it on an earlier time slot.
Agree on the timeslot.

As for having a vote

Just like we got no say in expanding the competition to include the unwanted, unsustainable GC B@stards and GWS Falafels :evil:

Then you wold whinge its delayed. fail to see how half an hour matters in the scheme of life. Seriously have we got anymore things we can whinge about.
Are you going?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i love monday night footy. wish we played monday night footy every week. monday is usually my crappest day of the week.
but footy means you get 4 good days in the week. fri-sun and then monday. makes mondays less depressing.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:Agree on the timeslot.

As for having a vote

Are you going?

Yep only miss Saturdays and sometimes Saturday night because of my involvement with my other club. but I can understand why people miss. Hope it isnt the 30 minute later start though.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:i love monday night footy. wish we played monday night footy every week. monday is usually my crappest day of the week.
but footy means you get 4 good days in the week. fri-sun and then monday. makes mondays less depressing.
lol...what if we lose?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:I wouldn't complain about that. I'm talking about Monday night football being inconvenient. It's ok if you are watching it on TV but a very inconvenient time slot of the week to attend.
i like it better than friday or saturday night - means i can go out both of those nights and gives me something to do on a night which is normally boring. no problem with work for me as i'm still home by 10:30pm. obviously that's not the same for everyone but neither is the "inconvenience" of monday night.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
SaintPav wrote:I wouldn't complain about that. I'm talking about Monday night football being inconvenient. It's ok if you are watching it on TV but a very inconvenient time slot of the week to attend.
i like it better than friday or saturday night - means i can go out both of those nights and gives me something to do on a night which is normally boring. no problem with work for me as i'm still home by 10:30pm. obviously that's not the same for everyone but neither is the "inconvenience" of monday night.
Each to their own. I don't like going out Monday nights and it's usually a training night for me.

Whatever, It's only one game of the year but still hope we stop playing Mon night.

Winmar
Club Player

19:40 start? Damn. It's not late enough to make it worthwhile going home first, but it's late enough to mean I have to stick around at work for ages or do something else in between. Not a fan of Monday nights either, but better that than home games in Wellington.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

I hate this Monday night game.
The starting time is now dictated to the AFL by Channel 7 in the latest broadcast deal.
They said they would losing revenue from not broadcasting the high rating and ever popular "Better Homes and Gardens " they said that not me, and therefore convinced the AFL if the broadcast was to go live, they needed twenty minutes of advertising to make up for lost ads during the night.
As to Monday night games on a personal note I have tomorrow and Tuesday off,(dipping into LSL) as there is no way I could get up for work the next day and I'm not hanging around the city for three hours after work.
I'd be interested in the number of children who attend as I think it will be a low figure as their parents chosoe to stay home as it is a school night.
But then at the end of the day Channel 7 will get us as they will have high ratings and it will justify the whole exercise.
But the club please ask to be released from this stupid agreement for the Monday night game?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Being self-employed means that I DON'T encounter the problems that others do. The only issue I have with this game is that neither St Kilda or Carlton build it up enough for my liking. We could use this game (Mothers Day Rd) to promote breast cancer awareness and the Mc Grath Foundation. It already has many of the key ingredients to make it a massive success; Two of the higher profile Victorian clubs, a crowd of at least 40,000 at Etihad, an exclusive NATIONAL audience. The more of these EXCLUSIVE games that give us MASSIVE exposure the better as it not only raises the profile of the club it also raises the value of of our sponsorship. I say we keep this game AND go after GOOD FRIDAY FOOTBALL as well !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Being self-employed means that I DON'T encounter the problems that others do. The only issue I have with this game is that neither St Kilda or Carlton build it up enough for my liking. We could use this game (Mothers Day Rd) to promote breast cancer awareness and the Mc Grath Foundation. It already has many of the key ingredients to make it a massive success; Two of the higher profile Victorian clubs, a crowd of at least 40,000 at Etihad, an exclusive NATIONAL audience. The more of these EXCLUSIVE games that give us MASSIVE exposure the better as it not only raises the profile of the club it also raises the value of of our sponsorship. I say we keep this game AND go after GOOD FRIDAY FOOTBALL as well !!

No I say we whinge about it and then whinge about other sides getting games we want. And we should especially whinge about those 30 minutes that will change the lives of kids and adults that follow our club.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:i love monday night footy. wish we played monday night footy every week. monday is usually my crappest day of the week.
lol...what if we lose?
yeah but the whole day at work will be better cos il be pumped pre game! :D

Leo.J
SS Life Member

I'm not really down on it.

It also sets up a tough run of 3 six day breaks in a row.

4 in 5 weeks actually.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:I'm not really down on it.

It also sets up a tough run of 3 six day breaks in a row.

4 in 5 weeks actually.
It wont matter how many short or long breaks we get - we'll be lucky to win any of our next 4

Bad Co.
Club Player

Prefer Monday night to Sunday twilight. Sunday twilight busiest time for working families with school kids.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm not mad on the Monday night thing, but I think it's good that we are trying to be part of a new concept and potential money spinner… it's a huge timeslot in the US… basically a captive audience for any footy fan… monday night what else are you going to watch…

dancing with the washed up alcoholic footballer or so you think you can sing cover songs ?

If the Monday night thing was any of Collingwood/Essendon/Carlton/Hawthorn playing each other we'd be jealous of the marquee-ness. Unfortunately the Blues and us have been on opposite ends of the ladder for a decade and it looks set to continue, a top 4 Monday night game could be huge…

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
lol...what if we lose?
yeah but the whole day at work will be better cos il be pumped pre game! :D
you'll be pumped for a pumping....you're crazy... :D

thefatdork
Club Player

Enrico_Misso wrote:
Agree on the timeslot.
Make the TV put it on delay.:
I'm with you Mr. Misso - game should be earlier and would be easier to sell to the missus in terms of letting the kids go.
Go Saints

Milne
Club Player

I'm going to be pretty tired tomorrow since I was up all night watching the last games of the premier league.

This game really needs to start at 7 so people can bring their kids along and get home at a reasonable hour.

I wont get home until 11.30-12 and i'll be up at 6. Thank god I don't have any kids

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

From a TV point of view Monday night games are great. For a attendance point of view they suck big time. This game is a reflection of the new TV rights deal nothing more.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Are we there yet?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I'm not sure why the Monday night games keep being a Saints home game???

A lot of people when deciding to get, or not get, their membership, is the value for money, and if you go to the footy with kids a Monday night is pretty much automatically crossed off the list.

If they want to lock in a Monday night game with St Kilda and Carlton, or St Kilda and Collingwood like a few years ago, alternate who's home game it is.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:I'm not sure why the Monday night games keep being a Saints home game???

A lot of people when deciding to get, or not get, their membership, is the value for money, and if you go to the footy with kids a Monday night is pretty much automatically crossed off the list.

If they want to lock in a Monday night game with St Kilda and Carlton, or St Kilda and Collingwood like a few years ago, alternate who's home game it is.

Have you thought thst we requested the Monday night?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I don't like Monday night games, until monday afternoon arrives... Then it's worth the wait...

I feel we have a decent shot at an upset tonight...