Jackson Ferguson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Jackson Ferguson

Jackson Ferguson, is he good enough to be promoted at the end of this season? Or will go the way of all our other NSW Scholarship players?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Re: Jackson Ferguson

Extremely good signs from him so far, both early last year and in recent weeks. Looks like a slightly taller version of Sam Gilbert (looked an inch or two taller, in the team photo), but hopefully without the very inconsistent kicking. Apparently he's been playing on "smalls" a lot in the VFL this year, so hopefully he'll get good at playing on both, especially those around his height.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Extremely good signs from him so far, both early last year and in recent weeks. Looks like a slightly taler version of Sam Gilbert, but hopefully without the very inconsistent kicking.

His kicking is ok. I think you will find Fergo can play kep position where as Sam cant. But Sam can play on smaller guys. Not sure Fergo can.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Extremely good signs from him so far, both early last year and in recent weeks. Looks like a slightly taler version of Sam Gilbert, but hopefully without the very inconsistent kicking.

His kicking is ok. I think you will find Fergo can play kep position where as Sam cant. But Sam can play on smaller guys. Not sure Fergo can.
Plugger, you seem to know a bit about him from previous posts. Is he a chance to make it?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Plugger, you seem to know a bit about him from previous posts. Is he a chance to make it?

I reckon he is just about a certainty. He has great speed and backs himself. That is a positive but can sometimes be a negative as he does run off his man quite often. His kicking isnt as good as some but it isnt Sam Gilbert or CJ bad.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

If he continues to improve throughout the season I can see him being promoted at years end and playing a few senior games next year. I would like to see him live up to his potential and be a permanent member of our best 22 by 2014.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

showing seriously good signs and still only 19.....

and tall defenders dont grow on trees (ask the hawks, blues etc).... so id say hes a very strong shot to come through.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Plugger, you seem to know a bit about him from previous posts. Is he a chance to make it?
plugger wrote:I reckon he is just about a certainty. He has great speed and backs himself. That is a positive but can sometimes be a negative as he does run off his man quite often. His kicking isnt as good as some but it isnt Sam Gilbert or CJ bad.
That's good to hear..Cheers.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Not that I've seen a lot of him, but someone who comes to mind when I think about him is Jonathan Hay, who was similarly built and sized, from memory and was quick and athletic.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Not that I've seen a lot of him, but someone who comes to mind when I think about him is Jonathan Hay, who was similarly built and sized, from memory and was quick and athletic.
Hopefully the Hawks version and not the Roos version.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Indeed!