Thought this was sorted?!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Thought this was sorted?!!

saint4life
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Re: Thought this was sorted?!!

nothing story as some of the older players will retire or be retired , whilst a player like riewoldt will be able to go on the veteran's list .
also as it's suppose to be a good draft next year , they may look to trade someone like joey , however every club will be doing this .

In red white and black from 73
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Honestly who knows.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
SaintJohn1956
Club Player

THE Hun loves horror stories about the Saints. Even Caroline Wilson on Monday night's Footy Classified had a go at them about the false reporting over Milne etc.

Saint John
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Pathetic list management that a team on the way down could and probably will be forced to trade a player. That is the problem with not winning a flag. Players still want more money and fair enough. Win a flag and players will try and keep a successful group togther.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Easy fix

Retire some.... trade and offer up a name

“Yeah….nah””
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

"St Kilda's top 10 players have been the highest paid in the competition for many years, enjoying contracts superior to stars at Collingwood, Geelong and Hawthorn."

I know you shouldn't believe everything you read but if this is true then it is wonder poor old Ross LYON failed improving the bottom end of the list. That is absolutely disgraceful and smacks of an imcompetent club administration - satisfied to say things haven't changed at St Kilda. The club has a history of imcompetent administrators and this just highlights that that status quo remains!
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Wed 09 May 2012 10:34am, edited 1 time in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Any link to where this information comes from, not even a "st kilda source" as a basis of this story. Sounds like a couple of managers have suggested that thier players might move on because of money issues. Seems alot of guessing.....

But would be suprised with the kosi and gram clauses as they are on BIG money.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
stinger
Saintsational Legend

clearing out peake ray and raph at year's end will free up more cap room....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Milne will have to take a big pay cut at the end of the year if he signs on again, if his current form continues.

If we have to pay Kosi over $500K and Gram over $400K then we're in strife.

My main concerns are the likes of Rhys Stanley, Arryn Siposs, Tom Ledger and Jamie Cripps. Clubs could circle them and if we don't lose a big name to GWS the Giants could very easily target one of them.

If it looks like we aren't going to be in contention in the next couple of years, then I wouldn't be opposed to losing a Monty (if his current form continues, especially if we get a first round DP for him) or even BJ, especially if his current (non dominant) form continues and we get two first round picks for him (if he goes to GWS). I wouldn't want to lose him as a "free agent" though, as you apparently only get one pick as compensation for that and that isn't enough. On his current form he's not worth paying any more than maybe $550K or so, really. Two years ago he would have been worth a lot, lot more.
mr six o'clock wrote:nothing story as some of the older players will retire or be retired , whilst a player like riewoldt will be able to go on the veteran's list .
also as it's suppose to be a good draft next year , they may look to trade someone like joey , however every club will be doing this .
Don't agree. If we're in a "far worse" position than we were last year (when we lost Dawson for nothing) then it clearly is a story and we're likely to lose someone we ideally wouldn't want to lose. As for the veteran's list, pretty sure that is completely different now and that you can put several on it, but only $100K of their contract will go onto it, not half, like it used to be. So if Roo is still on a $mil, $900K of that will stay on the main salary cap. $400K of Kosi's will too, and so on.
Solar wrote:Any link to where this information comes from, not even a "st kilda source" as a basis of this story. Sounds like a couple of managers have suggested that thier players might move on because of money issues. Seems alot of guessing.....
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the club leaked the info directly. Maybe to let everyone know the situation including the whole playing group, so that they can have a think about what is more important to them, making as much money as they can, or keeping their team together.

It would also soften the blow for us now that we know we might lose someone at the end of the year. Gives us some time to get used to the idea so that we don't get all pissed off at the club if we lose someone in a few months.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Pathetic list management that a team on the way down could and probably will be forced to trade a player. That is the problem with not winning a flag. Players still want more money and fair enough. Win a flag and players will try and keep a successful group togther.
It is a case of s*** happens really. They were talented enough to win a premiership however did not. It also shows the chasm between the good players and the poor players and how we had a few too many poor players in the 22 that allowed the top 10 to maybe get extra coin (if that makes sense).

Does Roo going on the vets list help? With Roo and Kosi now vets either this year or next that would count for approx 750,000? Considering Roo is on the million and cost half a million?

There is no point discussing that players like Ray, Peake, Polo and/or Clarke will not be on the list next season as players like Simpkin, Steven, Cripps et. al. are in line for pay increases so surely that cancels the former group of players out?

I will have to see it to believe it really re. when an established player on good money gets traded from our group.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

The Redeemer wrote: Does Roo going on the vets list help? With Roo and Kosi now vets either this year or next that would count for approx 750,000? Considering Roo is on the million and cost half a million?
As I said in the post directly above yours, I don't think so. Pretty sure that is completely different now and that you can put several on it, but only $100K of their contract will go onto it, not half, like it used to be. So if Roo is still on $1mil, $900K of that will stay on the main salary cap. $400K of Kosi's supoosed $500K will too, and so on, if what I remember is correct.

Edit: Here it is: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=882048

So we'll probably come out of it about the same, as we probably have 7 or so that will have been at the club for 10 years, which will take about $700K out of our salary cap. (About the same as it would have been under the old rules, if $500K came out of Roo's salary and about $250K out of Kosi's.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I don't know what is legal or achievable or allowable within the AFL system, but all contracts should (if possible) take into account the current form of the players and award them on that basis.
This would provide an extra incentive for players to continue to play well each year and not get too comfortable with their long contracts.
The weaker performing teams will have more room in their salary caps this way too, which would ensure a more even playing field exists. Isn't this what the AFL and every team would want to see ?
RL didn't achieve his short term plan of winning the premiership and we have ended up with an inflated salary cap.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Time to get very creative with our contracts. Maybe some of those who are coming to the end could be re-signed on to new back-ended contracts that will give them more in the last year or so than they would usually get. Like maybe offer Lenny a two year deal for $500K or whatever, per year, instead of a one year deal for $600 and then another one year deal for say $400, when he's not doing as well, just to help extend things as much as we can.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Wed 09 May 2012 1:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

noddy04
Club Player

Just a query. How would Michael Warner know any of the players payments? Is there a site that i can go to check on All players contracts? Or is it just another journalist having a guess?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Pretty sure Kosi resigned for a lot less than his previous 500k contract.

He was on that much a while ago. He signed a reduced two year contract.

Just from memory though. Maybe this guy is still using previous wage figures?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thats correct Spinner

It was published that Kosi signed quietly on a heavily reduced contract in 2010 for a further two years. I'd say they back ended it knowing he'd be on veterans?

So say he is $350K a year, they might of balanced the books that he earned $200K in 2011 and $500K in 2012 or something like that....

I could probably find it if I googled it

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I read that article as a SPECULATION PIECE ONLY. Not a single quote from any of the players, any St Kilda officials or any player managers. I have a far greater concern about what I percieve as a lot of bad blood between St Kilda and the Herald-Sun/News Ltd !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

This makes me laugh

We've been hearing about our potential salary cap problems since 2004.

The list was predominantly put together 2001-04ish... all the naysayers said then that we couldn't keep it together

The group has acheived 2 grandfinal appearances, 3 premlim finals, a semi and an elimnation final in 7-8 years. They haven't won a flag but have more or less been the most consistent and best team of the era... with the exception of Geelong.

In that time, the only big name players we lost are Heath Black who left because of GT (and was hardly a super star) and Luke Ball who left because of RL.

Yet ppl harp on and on about our poor player salary management.

What a joke - perspective people

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Time to get very creative with our contracts. Maybe some of those who are coming to the end could be re-signed on to new back-ended contracts that will give them more in the last year or so than they would usually get. Like maybe offer Lenny a two year deal for $500K or whatever, per year, instead of a one year deal for $600 and then another one year deal for say $400, when he's not doing as well, just to help extend things as much as we can.

Back ended contracts is where the problem starts. Last thing we need to do. The who problem isnt the players, its poor player management and not winning on the final day. Creates huge problems.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

A little grab from Sports Lies First....

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/artic ... fremantle/

Young St Kilda big man Ben McEvoy, talented Essendon big all-rounder Paddy Ryder, Melbourne 2010 All-Australian Mark Jamar and Carlton ruck force Robbie Warnock are all still in new contract discussions with their respective clubs.

St Kilda veteran Justin Koschitzke is another big man with potential to be on the open market after this season under the league’s new free agent system.

It is understood a number of AFL clubs are scouring behind the scenes for potential new ruckmen for this year’s historic month-long trade period in October.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:A little grab from Sports Lies First....

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/artic ... fremantle/

Young St Kilda big man Ben McEvoy, talented Essendon big all-rounder Paddy Ryder, Melbourne 2010 All-Australian Mark Jamar and Carlton ruck force Robbie Warnock are all still in new contract discussions with their respective clubs.

St Kilda veteran Justin Koschitzke is another big man with potential to be on the open market after this season under the league’s new free agent system.

It is understood a number of AFL clubs are scouring behind the scenes for potential new ruckmen for this year’s historic month-long trade period in October.
What are they on about :shock:

http://www.saints.com.au/tabid/5315/def ... sid=132942

"The Saints have secured Sam Fisher for a further two (2) years to the end of 2014, and Ben McEvoy for a further three (3) years to the end of 2015."

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Haha, living up to their rep Doc

Just letting them know.... ;)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Haha, living up to their rep Doc

Just letting them know.... ;)
Yeah it's not bad, even by their standards :P

andrewg
Club Player

Milne retired (in Saad and Milera)
Kosi and rooey paycut
Trade gram and Montagna (In Ledger and Ross)

Delist ray and peak, replace with Cockie, Dunell, Curren. We should get two great picks for the big name trades if not one top 10 pick.
If Kosi and Rooey don't want a paycut make the hard choice and retire Kosi, play Wilkes as a forward with Archer as a backup.
Recruit Silvani from Freo.
DONE
Last edited by andrewg on Wed 09 May 2012 6:44pm, edited 2 times in total.