Would you be happy to change our name for stronghold in NZ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Re: Would you be happy to change our name for stronghold in

A report on stuff.co.nz?

Are we actually taking this shite seriously?

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
SuperSaint66
Club Player

Definitely NO NAME CHANGE. We are ST KILDA!! (quite happy to scream "Go Saints" or "Go Sainters" at games though)

Many clubs call themselves the Saints - such as suburban & country football clubs, basketball clubs, but there is only one ST KILDA, and the name is part of our history.

Footscray lost their identity IMO when they changed to Western Bulldogs. I always think of the Bulldogs NRL club.
North Melbourne wisely changed back to their former name, instead of the Kangaroos.

I'd prefer not to play any games in NZ, though the financial rewards might be good. Don't think it would help us to win a flag though!

TJMcCarthy
Club Player

Clubs that sacrafice culture and history for cheap bucks make me fuggin puke. I'd rather we went back to the Junction Oval.

Strength Through Unity - CAR'N THE SAINTS!
No1_Saint
Club Player

As much as I think a push in the NZ market could work with the right AFL support here and on the ground in NZ at all levels of the game and with a genuine long term plan by the club (not just a get rich quick scheme)....at what point is the club going to ask if the supporters want to move home games there?

Correct me if I am wrong...but the club hasn't asked anyone if they think it's a good idea. Where is the mandate to make such decisions?

BTW - was furious when I read the report that the club was thinking of changeing the club name. Even shortening to the Saints seems unecessary. The club logo and song says St Kilda...fans chant St Kilda...why bend over for stupid marketing people who don't give a rats arse about tradition or history.

I get we need money....but to sacrafice important things like a 139 year old name is ridiculous.