Can we really afford BJ to play like that?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Can we really afford BJ to play like that?

Behind the ball as the designated kicker. I really think we need him in a position where he can win us the game. Yes he got stacks of touches, but I reckon the hawks would have been happy for him to get most of them in the back half. And when he was called upon to actually beat his opponent - a very average player in Puopolo - he gets beaten and Puopolo kicks a valuable goal! In 09/10 when he was playing superbly he was marking everything that came his way - I don't think I've seen him take a contested mark this year.People love to get into Riewoldt - but from my point of view, Roo has made his contribution to our club. Hopefully he continues to - but the match winners need to be the BJ's of this world. He's in his footy prime. Guys like him, Joey, and Dal HAVE to be our stars now. Lenny and Roo can't be the stars forever. Time to step up BJ and stop hiding behind easy uncontested possessions. Hasn't had a game close to his 2010 GF.....

battye
Saintsational Legend

Re: Can we really afford BJ to play like that?

Goddard to CHF?

Not so much now because I expect he will end up playing the loose man in defence now that Fisher is out for a few weeks, but I think we can afford to have Riewoldt and Goddard both leading out from CHF as it would stretch opposition defences. Kosi in the square.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

If I'm not mistaken, half the reason why he played so well in 2010 and that was because of being our loose man in defence.

With Brendan, his main problem has always been between the ears. He just needs to keep calm and keep a cool head and he'll be alright.

He's not a contested player by any means and for some reason, no coach wants to try him as a forward so loose man in defence is probably the best position for him.

Richter
SS Life Member

Funny thread. Pretty obvious he had to go back and play quarterback after Sammy Fish went off.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Couldn't agree more with the OP....... Goddard is almost getting a free ride to 30 possessions back there - and generally for only moderate positive impact at best. He MUST learn to break the tag and play with equal effectiveness in the forward half of the ground.

And if he can't...... then fine...... seriously good trade bait

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He playes that role well...... Should have done it vs Melbourne

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Funny thread. Pretty obvious he had to go back and play quarterback after Sammy Fish went off.
Sammy Fisher marks the bloody thing - often against big strong fwds who are coming out on the lead. Reads it beautifully. I'd be happy for BJ to do that, and he's more than capable of it - unfortunately he's sagging off getting easy cheap kicks. Thought his stats flattered him, for the impact he had on the game.

1965 Saint
Club Player

Drop Goddard Effort is poor. Costing us goals, disposal has become poor. no longer a superstar. Magical mark in gf1 just a distant memory

loris
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:If I'm not mistaken, half the reason why he played so well in 2010 and that was because of being our loose man in defence.

With Brendan, his main problem has always been between the ears. He just needs to keep calm and keep a cool head and he'll be alright.

He's not a contested player by any means and for some reason, no coach wants to try him as a forward so loose man in defence is probably the best position for him.

+1

Never been accountable, silky skills when loose man in defense I agree, but when under pressure in contested situations too often those skills are very, very ordinary. Handballs to the feet of teammates far too often. Kicking when under pressure he often misses his target or puts teammates in poor situation. Hopeless below his knees especially early in a game. And many overlook these aspects of his game, because he can look so good when he's not having to match up on an opponent........ or deal with a tag.

Hodge used to play Goddards role for Hawthorn out of defence to perfection........ however, Hodge has been able to improve from just being that effective lose man in defence to being an attacking player in whatever role the Hawks want to play him....... sadly IMHO Goddard has not been able to consistently take that next step to be a champion player for the Saints.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Goddard must be played as a permanent forward, on a HFF, one of our biggest problem areas. We are wasting too much talent playing him as a floating backman.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Goddard must be played as a permanent forward, on a HFF, one of our biggest problem areas. We are wasting too much talent playing him as a floating backman.

I am unsure HFF wouldnt be a bigger waste. A running backman in form is very important. Unfortunately BJ isnt in his best form.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Agree with much here - he doesnt look to be anywhere near what hes capable of.........you cant help but wonder if distant fields are already greener.......

With Fisher out we need a quarter back more than ever - it has to be Goddard. Such a shame we dont have that ability to bring the ball into fwd 50 where we really need it..

I notice too that when kicking from a free/mark whatever............Goddard gets a number of kicks smothered.....like he always goes extermely close to man on mark....hope its just a form /timing thing.

“Yeah….nah””
kimberly saint
Club Player

over rated in my view, a good player but way over rated by the media. Ya listen to other supporters bag kosi and roo, but bj really is a disappointment to me. Three years ago i would thought he would taken his game to a new level by now. Long way to go to be even slightly close to lenny , roo or dal.
Dare i say it but i am open to trading him or joey now to build for our next era .

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I'm am gob smaked at the negative comments being made in this thread. But seriously players like BJ can play at 85-95% and still make themselves good, especially on paper. All of our players that were once considered elite are not playing anywhere 100% and in the modern game you only need one or two players that are just a few percent down and you make it hard to win. At the moment that is one of our biggest problems. Our so called elite are all just a few percent from their best and it is hurting us.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

Swapping Riewoldt and Goddard? Could that be a spanner we could throw in the works.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

swapping? like for the old ones that have been missing since GF2.