Police will re-examine claims against Stephen Milne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Re: Police will re-examine claims against Stephen Milne

More to the point is the descriptions of Murdoch and his media organisation as a result of parliamentary and other enquiries in the UK.

The relationship between Murdoch, right-wing governments ("they govern for big business so we support them") and the police (many now facing charges and jail) is there for all to see.

And it is replicated in Australia.

One matter not picked up on by the Australian media (surprise, surprise) is that Murdoch has said "If you want to read my opinions read my Editorials". This from a man who has previously said that there is Editorial independence across his media interests.

As in the UK, Murdoch looks to deflect blame for his illegal activities to his employees, saying he has no knowledge which was exactly the case with Melbourne Storm.

It is alright for Murdoch to blame government for illegal workplace activities, resulting in 3 workplace deaths but when it comes to his own affairs this rat runs a mile, lying and looking for anyone to blame.

Well, in the UK they have pointed the finger straight at Murdoch.

In matters such as these there is a presumption of innoncence - and IF charges are laid and the brief finds its way to Court for adjudication then (because of the profile of Milne as an AFL footballer and the fact that papers will sell accordingly) it will be reported on.

Until then this is trial by media.

Typical Murdoch.

The individual has no moral compass.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

St.Roly wrote: After scouring multiple media reports it quickly became astonishingly clear that the story is being misrepresented by mainstream media (including, unfortunately, the ABC website). A mix of sensationalism, bias and misunderstanding.

Well done Perfectionist for making the point clearly here. Now if only the wider community got an accurate account.
The ABC have gone down hill lately imo...

They've been sucked in to competing with commercial media.

It's really disheartening tbh.

The were in the centre politically speaking, now like the rest of the world they are edging to the right.

Unfortunately these days it is really difficult to get any truth from any where.

The Milne saga is no different.

If the truth isn't profitable it gets left behind.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Yup, a person deemed by a british parliamentary committee as 'not a fit person to run a major international company' owns/runs 70% of the print media in this country.... and this is the result.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:More to the point is the descriptions of Murdoch and his media organisation as a result of parliamentary and other enquiries in the UK.

The relationship between Murdoch, right-wing governments ("they govern for big business so we support them") and the police (many now facing charges and jail) is there for all to see.

And it is replicated in Australia.

One matter not picked up on by the Australian media (surprise, surprise) is that Murdoch has said "If you want to read my opinions read my Editorials". This from a man who has previously said that there is Editorial independence across his media interests.

As in the UK, Murdoch looks to deflect blame for his illegal activities to his employees, saying he has no knowledge which was exactly the case with Melbourne Storm.

It is alright for Murdoch to blame government for illegal workplace activities, resulting in 3 workplace deaths but when it comes to his own affairs this rat runs a mile, lying and looking for anyone to blame.

Well, in the UK they have pointed the finger straight at Murdoch.

In matters such as these there is a presumption of innoncence - and IF charges are laid and the brief finds its way to Court for adjudication then (because of the profile of Milne as an AFL footballer and the fact that papers will sell accordingly) it will be reported on.

Until then this is trial by media.

Typical Murdoch.

The individual has no moral compass.

Don't get me started on Murdoch.

He is filth...

Any Murdoch related media cannot be taken seriously, they are tabloids.

This is the guy who pay Sarah Palin $3 mil a year to tour the US with a hate campaign...

IMO he is one of the most despicable people on the planet atm.

The big problem is that most people trust his media to be the truth when it is not.

What it is, is a politically and financially driven point of view, the world according Murdoch, and the World Murdoch wants in able to make him richer.

He favours the right side of politics as they are the side that are currupt enough to change the media laws in any country to allow Murdoch to get richer.

We'll he crossed the line in the UK by messing with the monarchy, he certainly misread that one.

As they say, suffer in your jocks.

As I said above the truth would be nice for a change.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I note with a somewhat cool sense of relief that the Hun has now amended it's headline thus:

"Stephen Milne case all but closed, says Deputy Commissioner of Crime Graham Ashton"

I suspect a significant outcry, a flurry of terse phone calls, and the involvement of legal representation has seen a degree of sanity prevail.

Doesn't take much, huh.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Story broken on MMM, Herald Sun, and Channel Nine.

What is the common link between these outlets.

Check out Maguires quote in todays Age in relation to the recent story about Cloke going to Fremantle.

''This is why Rupert Murdoch should not be allowed to have a licence for newspapers when he does things like this,'' said McGuire, a News Limited columnist, on his Triple M program.

''Forget the phone hacking; this is a disgrace. Have a look at the photo of him in a Fremantle jumper. You couldn't even pay him a million bucks to wear that. My head's going the colour of that purple haze.''

Maguire is a hypocrite and a bully of the highest order.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote:Story broken on MMM, Herald Sun, and Channel Nine.

What is the common link between these outlets.

Check out Maguires quote in todays Age in relation to the recent story about Cloke going to Fremantle.

''This is why Rupert Murdoch should not be allowed to have a licence for newspapers when he does things like this,'' said McGuire, a News Limited columnist, on his Triple M program.

''Forget the phone hacking; this is a disgrace. Have a look at the photo of him in a Fremantle jumper. You couldn't even pay him a million bucks to wear that. My head's going the colour of that purple haze.''

Maguire is a hypocrite and a bully of the highest order.

Thats right a footballer photoshopped into a Freo jumper is worse than hacking into the phone messages of a brutally murdered missing teenager :roll:

What a fkn disgraceful thing to broadcast. Shows the perspective this creature has got.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Just to continue down the conspiracy theory track;

Why are Gladman & Smith no longer members of VicPol?

Does Kieth Moor have any association or affiliation with any AFL Clubs?

How did Keith Moor gain access to internal VicPol information?

Was the timing of the release of information to Keith Moor co-incedental?

Who authorised the headline in the Herald Sun?

How many AFL club Presidents have direct access to the editor of the Herald Sun?

Does the sponsorship of St Kilda by The Age get up the nose/s of those in charge at the Herald Sun?

Am I dreaming in the hope that these questions form part of the story. Or, should we all let this NON story die a natural death? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

markp
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I note with a somewhat cool sense of relief that the Hun has now amended it's headline thus:

"Stephen Milne case all but closed, says Deputy Commissioner of Crime Graham Ashton"

I suspect a significant outcry, a flurry of terse phone calls, and the involvement of legal representation has seen a degree of sanity prevail.

Doesn't take much, huh.
That's how they roll.

Run with the outrageous misrepresentation, then print the clarification when the jig is up, the heat mounts, but the job's been done. Even though likely in possession of the facts from the start, or perhaps choosing not to be.

'Willful ignorance' was a term the british parliamentary committee used.....

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

After reading The Age story on this this morning, I formed the opinion that it was an investigation into the Police who were involved, not into Milne and Montagna. Anyway dont we have a Internal Affairs man amongst our number? He would have a better idea. Come out of hiding bloke.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelious. I am talking about St Fidelious.

ace
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Well that's why the OPI was set up.

If they reopen the case, so be it.

If Milne. Has fallen foul of the law, at least he's 32 now and we've got a bonus 8 years!

What a load of bovine manure.
The OPI was set up to protect a corrupt Labor government while giving the illusion of honesty.
The OPI is now a dead fish looking for somewhere to rot.

Two failed cops got told by the Director of Public Prosecutions your work is incompetent trash.
Their one chance at the big time was spoiled by the fact they had no case.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:After reading The Age story on this this morning, I formed the opinion that it was an investigation into the Police who were involved, not into Milne and Montagna. Anyway dont we have a Internal Affairs man amongst our number? He would have a better idea. Come out of hiding bloke.

yeah. sounds unlikely milne will be charged. but if any cops were found to have tampered with evidence they may be disciplined.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 03 May 2012 5:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:yeah. sounds unlikely milne will not be charged.
So you believe Milne will be charged??...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:yeah. sounds unlikely milne will not be charged.
So you believe Milne will be charged??...
what are you the grade 4 grammar teacher! typo.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

So just watched chanel 10 news chasing Milney around all day. At least they blanked out his number plates unlike chanel 9. Big report and then at the end, unlikely he will be charged.

Why would they do this. Why harrass him and his family when they know that it is a nothing story.

What an absolute disgrace

Solar
Saintsational Legend

To those who find this reporting disgusting you can email Keith Moore at moork@heraldsun.com.au. I have sent the following but would be suprised to get a response

Keith,

Can you explain why the original headline for a article you wrote for the herald sun website today was changed from suggesting that the milne rape case would be re-open to police suggesting that it would not be. This is despite any reading of the actual report showed that it was the actual procedures and suggestions of conflict of interest that was the basis of the report, not the actual evidence. Secondly why have you placed two photo's of players and none of the actual police who worked the case and thus were the centre of this investigation. I understand the need to be sensational and the hits would must be high for those who believe Milne was guilty but I repeat, the report is only critcal on the procedures and does not suggest anything more.

Now this has lead to channel 9 etc. running the story that the case is actually being re-opened. I wonder how you can justify this complete twisting of the truth. When I studied at RMIT they taught journalistic ethics, I suggest a revision is needed for not only yourself but others at the Herald Sun.

A response would be helpful as I would love to hear your justification.

Thankyou

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I dont think Keith would have anything to do with the pictures or the headline. Should send it to the sub editor.

Austinnn
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
perfectionist wrote:"Police will re-examine claims against Stephen Milne."

No they won't, but I can see how you could come to that conclusion reading the deceitful story from Keith Moor at the HUN.

This, in fact, is the basis of the story:

"The OPI has recommended that the brief of evidence related to Mr Milne and Mr Montagna be reviewed to ensure all relevant evidence has been properly recorded and retained."

The OPI investigation was into the police not the players.

The only way that police will reopen, or should reopen, the investigation is if new evidence comes to light. In fact, the reverse is being suggested in the story i.e. old evidence, that was not enough to convince the DPP that a conviction was likely, has disappeared, and the police are being asked to account for it.

The reporting of this story indicates exactly what is wrong with the media, apart from 70% of it being owned by a lying crook. Sensationalism and audience is everything and accuracy and balance is nothing. Get set for the moral outrage from our usual radio rednecks. Unfortunately, the current "leadership" of the police may be unable to resist what its media masters demand - more pulp - and to hang with the legal niceties.

Well put.

Lets not get into defending anybody who has committed a crime, but one would think it is inherent of the media to accurately report the actual story.

This is not about defending Stephen Milne, if he is charged, he will have the right to defend himself in court. But this is not about reopening the case, it is about an investigation into police procedure.

But what can one expect from an organisation whose boss is in the words of the phone hacking scandal "NOT FIT" to run a media organisation.

Yes the Feral Hun from Limited News needs to sell papers - football and sex, as we saw all through last season pre-season sells papers.

But as we have seen from their behaviour in Britian, Limited News will go to any length and trample on anybodies sensitivities to sell their rags.

Dont think about Milne and Montagna for a moment, what a bout the young woman involved in this. She has lived with this for 8 years, and once again it is thrust on to the front pages.

Have also said, journalists are scum and Limited news journalists have been seen they will plumb new depths to show their lack of profesionalism and integrity.
I agree 100% with both of the above posts.

The anti-Murdoch sentiment in this thread pleases me. I agree with all the anti-Ch9/MMM/McGuire stuff as well. I also commend the poster publishing Keith Moor's contact details, this nominal journalist needs to be held accountable. I will be using it to ask questions. However, people here need to be aware that a reporter rarely chooses the headline for their article, that is done by a sub-editor, I think. Many journalists actually complain about the misleading headlines their stories are given, or at least use this reason as an excuse. The paper is to blame anyway, regardless of which employee it was.

Beno88 wrote:Interesting that this story first resurfaced the week after Milne's 200th game, now it comes up again the week after he kicks his 500th goal.

Should we expect it again in 9 weeks time after his 250th?
Is that right? Nice present for Milney and his family. And the alleged victim. She must be praying for the day he retires from public life, so she doesn't have to hear the story again.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Saints43
Club Player

Considering this is an investigation into the police brief why didn't the HS run photos of the coppers involved in putting the statements together on the front page?

Page 3 of the HS was a half page story about a dog getting it's nails painted. Rag.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:..Page 3 of the HS was a half page story about a dog getting it's nails painted. Rag.
Yep, easily a front pager. Woof.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

The last time they tried to get this to fly was in september. I guess this means that fat ed doesn't think we'll make the finals.

BTW what did they do with all the fat that they sucked out of tony jones? Are ch9 manufacturing whales now?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I dont think Keith would have anything to do with the pictures or the headline. Should send it to the sub editor.

I would suggest tat as it was a online article there is more influence from the writer re: the headline and photo's. Also spend most of the article rehashing the rape story which really did not add anything to a article about a report on police procedure. He is the one placing his email at the end of this article so I see him as the first point of call and responsibility.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
To the top
SS Life Member

Does anyone else get the impression that "Ace" is a Murdoch slag?

SideshowMilne
Club Player

Sure as the sun rising tomorrow, Damien will give it a huge run tonight.