Hawthorns divine right of victory

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hawthorns divine right of victory

plugger66 wrote:
seems to me that the comment in context referred to the fact that they weren't a power house til the 80s

doesn't say that but it's pretty clear that's what they meant

You should look up their record in the 70's before you start pulling apart everything I say. You are 2 for 2 in the failing stakes so far today. And by the way it was a bit of a joke. You get jokes dont you?[/quote]

Come on Plugger. Clearly the original poster simply didn't think too much of the standard of football in the 70's when Hawthorn played in 4 Grand Finals and won 3 of them.

Why is it so hard for some people on here to say "oh, s***, whoops, didn't think that through, and blow me down someone else may in fact have a valid point?..."

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
matrix
Saintsational Legend

3.60 :shock:

shesh
dont think we'll win but thats a bit steep

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Why is it so hard for some people on here to say "oh, s***, whoops, didn't think that through, and blow me down someone else may in fact have a valid point?..."
Because nobody, other than Captain Feathersword, says "Blow me down"!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Apparently the players had a "closed meeting" today to talk out how crap and overrated they are.

And to have a giggle at what the club is paying them.

I dunno, but this week seems a bit scripted to me.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Actually plugger 66 is basically correct in what he said. Between 1925 and 1974 (Hawks first fifty years) they only made the finals 4 times. Then between 76-78 they had a purple patch wining two Flags, then were crap again until 1982 when Allan Jeans took over.
Our record against Whorethorn is awesome except for the eighties when we lost to them an amazing 22 times in a row.

And why the pessimism, it all reminds me of a certain round 22, 2001. Roll 'em McAdam...

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

It's up to us. If our club gives a stuff, we'll run them so close it isn't funny.

We dropped horror losses against Port and Fremantle - we have to clunk at least one and preferably two wins in the next three weeks against some big opposition.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

TJMcCarthy
Club Player

[quote="bigred"]Apparently the players had a "closed meeting" today to talk out how crap and overrated they are.

And to have a giggle at what the club is paying them.

Right. You mean the dawks, yeah. 8-)

Strength Through Unity - CAR'N THE SAINTS!
Gwilt Edged
Club Player

The media have started about 3 days too early... they'll sag like a punctured lilo

If the Hawks supporters on BF are anything to go by they are in complete panic mode - ripe for the picking

3.60 is great money - get on it

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Actually plugger 66 is basically correct in what he said. Between 1925 and 1974 (Hawks first fifty years) they only made the finals 4 times. Then between 76-78 they had a purple patch wining two Flags, then were crap again until 1982 when Allan Jeans took over.
Our record against Whorethorn is awesome except for the eighties when we lost to them an amazing 22 times in a row.

And why the pessimism, it all reminds me of a certain round 22, 2001. Roll 'em McAdam...
4 finals in 50 years?

I reckon Richmond in 20 years time will give that a nudge.

What are they up to?

3 finals series in 30 years? Or is it only 2?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt Edged wrote:The media have started about 3 days too early... they'll sag like a punctured lilo

If the Hawks supporters on BF are anything to go by they are in complete panic mode - ripe for the picking

3.60 is great money - get on it
Why not have a bit of a sniff at the line? 24.5 points is not bad, especially if it's wet.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Actually plugger 66 is basically correct in what he said. Between 1925 and 1974 (Hawks first fifty years) they only made the finals 4 times. Then between 76-78 they had a purple patch wining two Flags, then were crap again until 1982 when Allan Jeans took over.

4 finals in 50 years?

I reckon Richmond in 20 years time will give that a nudge.

What are they up to?

3 finals series in 30 years? Or is it only 2?

Just looked it up - 2 mate.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Between 1925 and 1974 (Hawks first fifty years) they only made the finals 4 times.
misleading. between 1925 and 1956 (32 years) they didn't make the finals at all. then between 1957 and 1971 (15 years) they made the finals four times for two premierships. then they made the finals five years in a row between 1974 and 1978 for two premierships. then 13 years in a row between 1982 and 1994 for five premierships - effectively the end of a 21 year run where they made the finals 18 times for 7 premierships. since then they've largely been s***, except obviously for 2008.
samuraisaint wrote:And why the pessimism, it all reminds me of a certain round 22, 2001.
what, that we've got a much worse team but that we might scrape over them for a result? fair comparison then.

matty capuano had 22 touches, 24 hitouts, 13 marks and a goal that day. his finest hour?

saintkellerm
Club Player

Yes I remember that game at the G, wasn't it a wet and rainy. We can do it!

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Potentially damp and slippery conditions should help us. Every possibility of a win for the Saints.

rexy
SS Life Member

Think we are a big chance against the hawks but on paper they deserve their favouritism, Not sure what their fans shitting themselves has to do with their chances? Also not sure that Kennett is involved with the club anymore, thought he retired from the presidency at the end of last year? If we can win the clearances and contested posession I think we can win the day.

Maybe this year?
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Between 1925 and 1974 (Hawks first fifty years) they only made the finals 4 times.
misleading. between 1925 and 1956 (32 years) they didn't make the finals at all. then between 1957 and 1971 (15 years) they made the finals four times for two premierships. then they made the finals five years in a row between 1974 and 1978 for two premierships. then 13 years in a row between 1982 and 1994 for five premierships - effectively the end of a 21 year run where they made the finals 18 times for 7 premierships. since then they've largely been s***, except obviously for 2008.
samuraisaint wrote:And why the pessimism, it all reminds me of a certain round 22, 2001.
what, that we've got a much worse team but that we might scrape over them for a result? fair comparison then.

matty capuano had 22 touches, 24 hitouts, 13 marks and a goal that day. his finest hour?
Fair play Bergholt - I am not so sure that we are as bad as what many people think however. While it may be true that we have not won a flag during our eight years in the top four or thereabouts, I reckon we have the hawks' measure.

On the other issue you raise, four finals series in fifty years is not what i would call succesful. Winning the Flags would be nice, but they still endured many bad years in that fourtenn year spell you mentioned, finishing stone motherless last in 1965 and second last to a Fitzroy in 66 who failed to even win a game.

The previous poster was quite correct in saying that the Hawks weren't a power side until the 80s because they endured many poor to mediocre seasons during which I remember the tiny crowds that used to watch them play in the early 80's before thay came good again - with a bit of help from Jeansie and Russell Greene.

On Sat nite's game - we are more consistent than them at present and reckon our hit out against the D's at the G might be just the ticket.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Walls has done it again; trying to fire up the opposition...it's a bloody conspiracy I reckon....

Hawks lose hunger
Robert Walls
May 4, 2012

HAWTHORN has lost the desire to win the contested ball.

In the final stages of last weekend's loss to Sydney, the Hawks looked completely dispirited as they went through the motions and waited for the final siren to put them out of their misery.

The Swans were good, but the Hawks were embarrassing as they rolled over to concede the last seven goals of the game.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/h ... z1tooFSO8N

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: The previous poster was quite correct in saying that the Hawks weren't a power side until the 80s because they endured many poor to mediocre seasons during which I remember the tiny crowds that used to watch them play in the early 80's before thay came good again - with a bit of help from Jeansie and Russell Greene.
Mate they won 2 of 3 grand finals in the 70s.

They were a super side then.

Rewriting history?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I reckon a few of the boys will dig a bit deeper for one of there mates tmrow night

Bookmark BOG for Lenny

Bring back the Lockett era
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Do it for Milney and Joey Sainters!