Changes for Hawks game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Changes for Hawks game

In: Kosi and Siposs

Out: Wilkes and Cripps

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes for Hawks game

In Kosi Siposs
Out Wilkes Cripps

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

So you must be assuming that Wilkes injury is bad enough to keep him out next week

I love this club
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:So you must be assuming that Wilkes injury is bad enough to keep him out next week
what injury....

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

I'd rather Wilkes stay in than Kosi.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
battye
Saintsational Legend

Yes Wilkes played well when he had the ball in his hands, no he didn't deserve to be subbed off. But Kosi is a better player than Wilkes, pure and simple. If Wilkes finds a spot next week then great, he's done enough to deserve it, but he hasn't done enough to earn it at the expense of Justin Koschitzke.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Saints home game next week.
So good for our $$$$. What crowd we expecting?

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:In: Kosi and Siposs

Out: Wilkes and Cripps
Gram out..... Gram out... any0ne in.... wonder what the G train is doing next sat night?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Cripps out
Schneider in

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
battye
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Cripps out
Schneider in
I hope not. I want Schnadzo to come in but not at the expense of Cripps.
Have it be someone like Polo instead.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Saints home game next week.
probably 45 - 50 k seeing that most of our supporters never turn up !
30k of those will be hawks fans .

24800 there tonight and the support seemed split 50/50 , I thought that at least 20k saints fans would have shown their ugly heads , but i was wrong again !!!!

In red white and black from 73
slider
Club Player

SainterK wrote:In Kosi Siposs
Out Wilkes Cripps
Again no idea

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Cripps out
Schneider in
I hope not. I want Schnadzo to come in but not at the expense of Cripps.
Have it be someone like Polo instead.
Well according to the well informed Polo is a gun so he's unlikely to be dumped.... :roll:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I thought Kosi was out for two weeks?

If I am wrong, In Kosi and Sipposs.

Out. Polo.. Blake.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Assuming no injuries, and knowing that the one time I've ever called our team selections correctly..., we lost our only ever game to the Purple Daze at Docklands... :(

IN: Ledger, Sipposs. Those two are wasted playing any more games at Sandy. Must play whether we are aiming for top 5 or bottom 5.

OUT: Polo (very unlucky), Gram (very lucky it hasn't happened earlier).

PS: For reasons of the multiple forward line repeat efforts he provides when the ball hits the ground, I now prefer Wilkes over Kosi. (Kosi also in the very unlucky though.)

A few posters have called for Cripps to be rested. Without having seen the stats or knowing what his opponent/s did going the other way, IMHO he was really starting to look like he belonged tonight. For me, his best and most promising game for us. I reckon he's starting to turn that corner. Therefore must play for mine.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

In: Kosi & Siposs
Out: Cripps & Blake

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Saints home game next week.
probably 45 - 50 k seeing that most of our supporters never turn up !
30k of those will be hawks fans .

24800 there tonight and the support seemed split 50/50 , I thought that at least 20k saints fans would have shown their ugly heads , but i was wrong again !!!!
I think that 50/50 is an extremely generous estimation. We were outyelled all night by Dees supporters, which is one of the few times that that has happened in all my footy going years (40 years plus). Very poor showing from St Kilda barrackers tonight. Fed up going to the G and being outsupported by teams who have struggled for years - like Richmond. And don't give me the excuse about past history and premierships. We used to have a very loud, feral, and passionate support base back in the days when we rarely won games. Remember the Night premiership 96 against Carlton - 70,000 yelling Saints barrackers. VFL park against Richmond same era - 75,000 - overwhelmingly St Kilda supported. We seem to be a bit like how Hawthorn and North used to be, a bit, almost dispassionate about our footy. I just hope the bandwagon gets rolling this week and I am proved wrong. I would love that to happen.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

If it's going to be a dry night I certainly hope Wilkes keeps his spot, as he really looked the part tonight, especially in the first quarter, when it was dry. He and Stanley were terrific before it started raining. When he was subbed off he'd apparently taken 4 of our 8 marks inside 50 and had kicked 3 goals in less than 3 quarters. On what I've seen so far this season, I would have no problem with Wilkes, Kosi and Stanley forward and Roo on a wing or at CHB, freeing up Fisher to play loose across HB or more on the ball, as he did tonight.

And no offence to him, but if Cripps keeps his spot for another week, then we are in mighty trouble in the depth department, or are not all that interested in winning, as he was rarely sighted again tonight. I'd prefer to see Siposs, or Ledger, come in for him. Polo sub again, if he has to play.

If Wilkes stays in then maybe Blake makes way, to keep the balance the way we want it.
battye wrote: Kosi is a better player than Wilkes, pure and simple.
I love Kosi and defend him on a regular basis, but I'm not entirely sure that is true anymore, based on what I saw from Wilkes tonight (if that is an indication of how Wilkes would go most weeks).

Kosi probably has better hands (Kosi has better hands than most) and may be a better kick (although Wilkes can also kick it 55m and nailed a couple of rippers tonight), but Wilkes has much more of a physical presence from what I saw tonight and his second and third efforts and tackling and chasing looked much better than Kosi's, so I think that at least evens things up. He also threw his weight around more than Kosi, which is something that we've missed up forward in recent times.

Kosi and Roo (and now Stanley) all have their very positive attributes (some more than others), but none of them are physically strong for their height and all get pushed off the ball very easily at times and Wilkes could give us that muscle up there that the others lack. He looked very well suited to full forward tonight and I reckon Melbourne would have been thrilled when he was subbed off (especially when we kicked it long to Milney four times in a row in the last quarter, only for him to be comprehensively beaten in the air each time).

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
battye
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
battye wrote: Kosi is a better player than Wilkes, pure and simple.
I love Kosi and defend him on a regular basis, but I'm not entirely sure that is true anymore, based on what I saw from Wilkes tonight (if that is an indication of how Wilkes would go most weeks).
Kosi probably has better hands (Kosi has better hands than most) and may be a better kick (although Wilkes can also kick it 55m and nailed a couple of rippers tonight), but Wilkes has much more of a physical presence from what I saw tonight and his second and third efforts and tackling and chasing looked better than Kosi's, so I think that at least evens things up. He also threw his weight around more than Kosi, which is something that we've missed up forward in recent times. Kosi and Roo (and now Stanley) all have their very positive attributes (some more than others), but none of them are physically strong for their height and all get pushed off the ball very easily at times and Wilkes could give us that muscle up there that the others lack. He looked very well suited to full forward tonight and I reckon Melbourne would have been thrilled when he was subbed off.
How many times did Wilkes do anything of significance at West Coast?
They certainly didn't let him go because of their abundance of quality players in 2010.

I thought Wilkes played a decent game tonight. And on tonight's form he should not be dropped. But let's be honest, he's not going to be football's next big thing.

With Kosi we have a proven key position forward. We have a proven part-time ruckman. Wilkes cannot compete with that.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

battye wrote:
How many times did Wilkes do anything of significance at West Coast?
They certainly didn't let him go because of their abundance of quality players in 2010.
I hope that's not a serious question. I'm pretty confident that what someone did two + years ago has little relevance to what they are doing now. We need look no further than our own club and someone by the name of Jason Heatley, to know that someone can not get a go, or do well, at one club, for various reasons, yet do terrifically well at another club, when given a chance. Especially if things in their life change, or they take their footy more seriously, or grow up, or whatever.

And as for West Coast's team, not that it matters, for the aforementioned reasons, they had him playing down back, apparently, where most who have seen Wilkes play this year reckon he isn't any good. While up forward they had the likes of Josh Kennedy and Quentin Lynch, plus Nic Nat, at times, so there wasn't necessarily room for someone like Wilkes there.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Kosi isn't going to get any better, he should no longer be selected automatically. Wilkes has played 1 game for the club, a pretty damn good one. Wilkes should stay in ahead of Kosi.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I wouldn't want to see either of them kicking a bag in the VFL though. I think they might both be too good at the moment to be playing there and thus we ought to at least try a re-jig of the team to slot them both in there, until one of them stops performing.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Here's a left field idea. Let's make BJ play purely as a defender: sort of in Gwilt's role. BJ has been making sub-standard contributions (for him, and arguably for any senior player) for over a season. Make him accountable for a week or two and see how he goes.

Who to drop? Simpkin for mine. simpkin seemed to play a role in several of Melbourne's goals in the second quarter when they stormed right back into the game. He seemed to allow himself to be drawn into packs, blocking our othere defenders and making room for crumbers. And, in general, he looks too short to okay the role being asked of him. Perhaps I'm being unfair, but, as a pure defender, he doesn't fill me with confidence.

Who to bring in? I'm not sure: hopefully Ledger, simply to stop all the whining on here.

And, of course, Kosi for Wilkes.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

OUT
Blake
IN gwilt

maybe kosi, for someone

SaintJohn1956
Club Player

Will Montagna be playing next week?