Desire & Desperation........Q?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barrel-it
Club Player

Desire & Desperation........Q?

Do we have the desire to win the 50/50 games? To take the game by the scruff when its their to be won and jam it to the opposition. Freo were desperate for the win on friday night.. and got it.

Are we too fancy to slog out a desperate & somewhat ugly win?

Losing games doesn't seem to affect our desire to want to win

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Desire & Desperation........Q?

Personally I don't think we lost either round 1 or 4 through lack of desperation or desire, on Friday we won most of the key indicators of intensity, but lacked composure and polish, which will only come with time for the players under 50 games.

Ross Lyon's teams are very hard to score against, which we were on the wrong end of for a change…

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Personally I don't think we lost either round 1 or 4 through lack of desperation or desire, on Friday we won most of the key indicators of intensity, but lacked composure and polish, which will only come with time for the players under 50 games.

Ross Lyon's teams are very hard to score against, which we were on the wrong end of for a change…

This

Side was having more than a crack,just can't kick for sh*t anywhere within 80 meters of the goals

Bring back the Lockett era
barrel-it
Club Player

jonesy wrote:
dragit wrote:Personally I don't think we lost either round 1 or 4 through lack of desperation or desire, on Friday we won most of the key indicators of intensity, but lacked composure and polish, which will only come with time for the players under 50 games.

This

Side was having more than a crack,just can't kick for sh*t anywhere within 80 meters of the goals

if the desire was there, would we be hitting these targets knowing they are the ganme winners or are they just another DT stat?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

barrel-it wrote:
jonesy wrote:

This

if the desire was there, would we be hitting these targets knowing they are the ganme winners or are they just another DT stat?
No. See Clinton Jones… More desire and better work ethic than the combined entire Melbourne list, yet trying harder does not improve his kicking, in fact it probably makes it worse because he is just trying so damn hard…

We're putting everything into it, I have no doubt, even the much loved Leigh Montagna is trying his guts out, contrary to popular belief…

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I thought we were a noticeable amount more flat for a lot of round one and four than we were in the two weeks in between.

I was wondering if we'd played the game in our minds too much before it even started on Friday night, with the Ross Lyon factor and all. I know I was mentally drained and tired to a fair degree, when I walked into the ground, having thought about it so much in the lead-up and I wouldn't be surprised if our playing group had used up a lot of their petrol tickets before it even started as well, just wanting to win it so much.
Instead of looking forward to the match as I usually would, I was almost looking forward to it being over, so that I didn't have to hear about Ross Lyon, or Zac Dawson any more. Apparently the talk had already turned to that game in the rooms immediately after the win the week before, so it could easily have been a factor for our playing group as well.

We started OK, and were on top in the packs and so on early, which is a sign that you're on top, but that intensity only seemed to last for about 15 minutes, so maybe they just didn't have the energy to maintain that level for as long as they did in the previous two weeks.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Richter
SS Life Member

People who don't think the desire was there on Friday, clearly were not at the game. Not only did we comprehensible beat Freo in all the contested stats, but the players reaction after the siren was telling. Virtually every one was flat on his back, gutted to lose.

I must admit that I have pretty much written this year off as a development year, but the players certainly have not.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, as much as in the media we claimed that we didn't really care about the Ross Lyon factor, for our guys it would have been a strange feeling having a guy they respected and went to war for coach against them. The coaches get really close to players and would be a bit like your dad running off with you girlfriend watching him coach someone else. Coupled with the fact that he knew the keys to shutting down our driving force and we struggled. We will be better off when the players get a tinge of hatred towards him, they are still hoping to be buddies at the moment.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Yeah, as much as in the media we claimed that we didn't really care about the Ross Lyon factor, for our guys it would have been a strange feeling having a guy they respected and went to war for coach against them. The coaches get really close to players and would be a bit like your dad running off with you girlfriend watching him coach someone else. Coupled with the fact that he knew the keys to shutting down our driving force and we struggled. We will be better off when the players get a tinge of hatred towards him, they are still hoping to be buddies at the moment.
The old' 'Dad running off with your girlfriend' hey, we've all been there… :shock: