TOMMY LEDGER !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Buckets
SS Life Member

Re: TOMMY LEDGER !!

To the top wrote:Thought Cripps played well actually.

Remember, he was basically playing across half back and was accountable for his opponent who was little sighted.

Had some time forward putting defensive pressure on and when released into the centre, carried the ball out and potted the goal.

The benefit with Cripps and Ledger is that Cripps can play forward or back - and can take his turn on the ball.

Ledger can play forward and can also take his turn on the ball (the clearance ease from Smith's ruck work and our inability to tackle and keep arms down was troubling and Ledger negated this in the last quarter with his positioning and attack on the ball).

Just my view (again) but Ledger contributed far more to the team performance than did the player subbed off.

The player subbed off relies on being spoon fed and can not contribute as Ledger did on ball.

Plus we saw how easily No 5 ran off without even being chased, creating havoc up field thru the lines.

Comprehensively out-classed Milne - and it is the second week in a row he has been out-classed.

The warning bell?
We get it Grant you don't like Milney and had you not been sacked you would have exited him.

But sheesh we are talking about Ledger not the guy who was crook before the game and came off to give the young bloke some more time on field.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Thought Cripps played well actually.

Remember, he was basically playing across half back and was accountable for his opponent who was little sighted.

Had some time forward putting defensive pressure on and when released into the centre, carried the ball out and potted the goal.

The benefit with Cripps and Ledger is that Cripps can play forward or back - and can take his turn on the ball.

Ledger can play forward and can also take his turn on the ball (the clearance ease from Smith's ruck work and our inability to tackle and keep arms down was troubling and Ledger negated this in the last quarter with his positioning and attack on the ball).

Just my view (again) but Ledger contributed far more to the team performance than did the player subbed off.

The player subbed off relies on being spoon fed and can not contribute as Ledger did on ball.

Plus we saw how easily No 5 ran off without even being chased, creating havoc up field thru the lines.

Comprehensively out-classed Milne - and it is the second week in a row he has been out-classed.

The warning bell?

All I will say is Cahill, Johnson FB and funny.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Cripps played as a small fwd all night..... He was poor.

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

What I realised.....and it took me about a quarter to notice

Was that Watters had pruposely moved Cripps to Half Forward to accomodate Newnes playing in the back half

This obviously put Crippa in a position different to the one that he had played all pre season

Scott must've wanted to give a lot of responsibility to Simpkin and Newnes because everytime we pressed to halfway they were left as the last men in defence

Newnes also struggled with the pace and tired after half time, but that is to be expected

Once Newnes tires or is dropped I'm sure Cripps will move back to his more familiar HB position

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Cripps played as a small fwd all night..... He was poor.

bigmart you really have it in for cripps this week!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:I just love the energy of all the kids... They're just jumping out of their skin to keep getting games in the seniors.
And there appears to be a real belief when they get a run.

When the youngsters played under the previous regime - Archer, Stanley, Cripps et al - they ran around looking like they didn't know where to stand.

Lyon?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
To the top
SS Life Member

Those who jump to Milne's defence are hero worshipper's and, worse, hero worship exclusively on the basis of goals kicked.

There is no comparative (for instance) between Rioli of Hawthorn and Milne of St Kilda and until the hero worshipper's recognise the very significant advantage Hawthorn have over St Kilda in this area at least, St Kilda are going nowhere.

And Hawthorn are not the only team where their small players contribute not only on the score board but in general play including by their defensive actions.

Why do you think we drafted Milera and Saad given we have Milne?

To those who are so blind as to not recognise the requirements placed on players competing at AFL level in 2012 (and onwards), well, there is no sense debating the fact with them.

In regards other comments, St Kilda have on their list the following players who are 191cm or taller, and therefore potential KPP's:-

McEvoy, Riewoldt, Gilbert (who some would trade!!!), Koschitzke, Dempster (who does not play to his 191cm), Fisher, Stanley, Simpkin, Lever and Wilkes - ignoring Rookie Listed players.

What are the ages of Riewoldt, Koschitzke and Fisher?

And where is the progression plan?

Cahill and Johnson were both over 191cm - and they were drafted by St Kilda.

Cahill played 11 games as a CHF for Sturt Under 18's in 2008, kicking 36 goals and, in 4 Seconds games that same season kicked a further 9 goals.

In an injury interrupted stint at St Kilda, he confirmed at VFL level that ability to impact on the scoreboard.

Johnson was drafted off performances at full back in the VFL if I am not mistaken - and, in the absence of Dawson, it would have appeared prudent to me to retain Johnson as, at least, back up given his experience. He had body size and was competative in his brief encounter at AFL level (in Adelaide on a wet night), interrupted also by injury.

So, I for one am surprised that Cahill (after 3 injury interrupted seasons from Under 18 level in the SANFL where he was a proven goal kicker - and was still filling out in body) and Johnson were cut adrift because I do not think that those decisions took account of the scarcity of potential KPP's on our list, and the ageing of some of those who form our spine.

Look at where we stand at full back - do we rely on the 189cm, 200 game veteran Blake - and we saw what Schultz did to him - let alone when we come up against Geelong and Hawthorn - and any other team which looks to stretch us in our defence, because they will?

But, as long as Milne kicks his 2 goals, hey?

Forget everything else, Milne kicking his 2 goals from around the corner snaps. making difficult what should not be difficult, is the excitement certain St Kilda supporters seem to crave and survive on - because then thay can go home happy.

Me?

I look at the competition and query what the requirements are for St Kilda to continuing to challenge.

To the top
SS Life Member

And, just to add, I must have been at a different game, because on the majority of times that Cripps left the inter-change bench (right in front of us) he went into our defensive structure.

He also got some time forward and, late, he got a run in the mid-field.

Joffa 5
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:I just love the energy of all the kids... They're just jumping out of their skin to keep getting games in the seniors.
And there appears to be a real belief when they get a run.

When the youngsters played under the previous regime - Archer, Stanley, Cripps et al - they ran around looking like they didn't know where to stand.

Lyon?
Maybe Sandy's different game plan had something to do with it?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Those who jump to Milne's defence are hero worshipper's and, worse, hero worship exclusively on the basis of goals kicked.

There is no comparative (for instance) between Rioli of Hawthorn and Milne of St Kilda and until the hero worshipper's recognise the very significant advantage Hawthorn have over St Kilda in this area at least, St Kilda are going nowhere.

And Hawthorn are not the only team where their small players contribute not only on the score board but in general play including by their defensive actions.

Why do you think we drafted Milera and Saad given we have Milne?

To those who are so blind as to not recognise the requirements placed on players competing at AFL level in 2012 (and onwards), well, there is no sense debating the fact with them.

In regards other comments, St Kilda have on their list the following players who are 191cm or taller, and therefore potential KPP's:-

McEvoy, Riewoldt, Gilbert (who some would trade!!!), Koschitzke, Dempster (who does not play to his 191cm), Fisher, Stanley, Simpkin, Lever and Wilkes - ignoring Rookie Listed players.

What are the ages of Riewoldt, Koschitzke and Fisher?

And where is the progression plan?

Cahill and Johnson were both over 191cm - and they were drafted by St Kilda.

Cahill played 11 games as a CHF for Sturt Under 18's in 2008, kicking 36 goals and, in 4 Seconds games that same season kicked a further 9 goals.

In an injury interrupted stint at St Kilda, he confirmed at VFL level that ability to impact on the scoreboard.

Johnson was drafted off performances at full back in the VFL if I am not mistaken - and, in the absence of Dawson, it would have appeared prudent to me to retain Johnson as, at least, back up given his experience. He had body size and was competative in his brief encounter at AFL level (in Adelaide on a wet night), interrupted also by injury.

So, I for one am surprised that Cahill (after 3 injury interrupted seasons from Under 18 level in the SANFL where he was a proven goal kicker - and was still filling out in body) and Johnson were cut adrift because I do not think that those decisions took account of the scarcity of potential KPP's on our list, and the ageing of some of those who form our spine.

Look at where we stand at full back - do we rely on the 189cm, 200 game veteran Blake - and we saw what Schultz did to him - let alone when we come up against Geelong and Hawthorn - and any other team which looks to stretch us in our defence, because they will?

But, as long as Milne kicks his 2 goals, hey?

Forget everything else, Milne kicking his 2 goals from around the corner snaps. making difficult what should not be difficult, is the excitement certain St Kilda supporters seem to crave and survive on - because then thay can go home happy.

Me?

I look at the competition and query what the requirements are for St Kilda to continuing to challenge.

Again a huge amount of words but again could have been said much quicker. You could have just said ''I have little footy knowledge and dont understand the skill of a player like Milne to continually kick around 50 goals a year but I do understand players that are no good being kept to prove I have no footy knowledge'. There you go. That was much quicker.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I guess TTT if you keep potting Milne, match after match, year after year, one day you will be right and he will no longer be in the side... You may have to wait a further 40-50 matches, but your time in the sun will come..

I'm not sure how many years you need to be wrong for in order to back down and acknowledge what many AFL coaches, experts and people with far far greater football knowledge than you or I, see Milne as a top line AFL player, all-Australian and leading finals team goal kicker as recently as last season...

For the record, Milne would walk into the current Hawks team, most likely at the expense of Osborn, and would be a great double act with Cyril... Would walk into every AFL team... Right now. Today. For the rest of the season.

Cahill and Johnson were both so unlucky that they didnt even get rookied after we cut them, let alone re-drafted?!!...

All the evidence suggests you've no idea what your talking about.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I'm going to talk about Ledger again for a second. Just saw the replay of the game from the weekend for the first time and it confirmed what I saw at the ground and the other times I've seen him. Just love the way he goes about it. Head down, bull-at-a-gate approach and his tenacity is fantastic and I'm also really impressed with the penetration he gets with his kicking ON BOTH FEET. This is at least the second time now for us that he's demonstrated the ability to kick it at least 50m on his left, which is a big bonus. Really love his work. Sincerely hope he doesn't wear either the green or red jacket this week.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

see ball get ball.

love the ledge.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I'm going to talk about Ledger again for a second. Just saw the replay of the game from the weekend for the first time and it confirmed what I saw at the ground and the other times I've seen him. Just love the way he goes about it. Head down, bull-at-a-gate approach and his tenacity is fantastic and I'm also really impressed with the penetration he gets with his kicking ON BOTH FEET. This is at least the second time now for us that he's demonstrated the ability to kick it at least 50m on his left, which is a big bonus. Really love his work. Sincerely hope he doesn't wear either the green or red jacket this week.
Like Geary, only nuggety. Bull at a gate.

We don't lack fearless types.

Jones, Geary, Roo, Koz, Fisher, Gilbo, Ledger, Dal (yes Dal), Hayes, McEvoy, Steven and Armo are all as brave as they come.

I like that about my team.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Richter
SS Life Member

He's got a really low centre of gravity Ledger doesn't he. Makes him a bugger to tackle. Him and Jack Steven are our next generation of clearance mids... future looks a bit brighter.... we really must pump plenty of games into him this year... I wonder why he has not played 2 full games... perhaps the coaches are worried about overworking him?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:He's got a really low centre of gravity Ledger doesn't he. Makes him a bugger to tackle. Him and Jack Steven are our next generation of clearance mids... future looks a bit brighter.... we really must pump plenty of games into him this year... I wonder why he has not played 2 full games... perhaps the coaches are worried about overworking him?

Ledger and Steven are long termers.

Was said last year but by God Steven runs like Nathan Burke. Already has the No.3, just needs a helmet and a dead set twin when he runs.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I would have thought the way he runs is a lot more like Dane Swan, as has been mentioned plenty of times.
Lenny, Armo, Jack and Ledger suddenly have us with some good clearance options and stoppage strength.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Steven does run like Swan, and he should kick it more like Swan...

Swan generally goes long and hard with his kicks... He doesn't go the precise short, short, creative stuff like Pendles or Dal... Their skill set allows much more creativity... Swan is limited with his ball use by foot and plays to that level....

Steven goes too short and clever too often for my liking... He should just play to his strengths, which are winning the contested ball and breaking free from stoppages, and just push the ball long, forward... Would be much more effective, and would hurt less on the turnover...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Correct Sobraz..

felix
Club Player

TTT .Nearly 500 goals in a career only 49 players in the history of Aussie rules have done this long live Milney .

matrix
Saintsational Legend

team unchanged this week and i hope ledger gets a starting jumper

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:team unchanged this week and i hope ledger gets a starting jumper

Think he is a certainty. It will be either Newnes or Cripps you would think.

westcoast
Club Player

Ledger out, polo in for bulldog's game

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Where did this come from? Nothing on Twitter.

westcoast
Club Player

They've done it again to him!!! What lame excuse this time?