Use of Siposs and Gilbert

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Use of Siposs and Gilbert

Its apparent from what I have seen early doors, that there has been a definite push to get Aaron higher up the ground..... I know he was drafte as a fwd, and can play there no doubt. But, He would make a fantastic midfielder/wing for a few reasons..

1/ he is a one touch player, rarely fumbles
2/ his evasisive skills for a largiesh kid are freakish
3/ his vision, creativity and instincts are classy
4/ his ball use by foot is the equal of BJ

His only draw backs would be

1/ whether he has the engine to play that high
2/ whether his defensive side at AFL is up to the standard

Although used as a fwd in the TAC cup.....I think he would make an outstanding midfielder/fwd

Anyways, imagine have Siposs, Goddard, Dal Santo, Milera, Schnieder delivering the ball to our key Fwds or having shots from 50-60m

I mentioned last year I would love to see Gilbert playing more through the middle. Gilbert's quest out of defense hurts a lot, but he could be a slicing player through the midfield as a tall wingman.

The Idea of two big bodies in the midfield at any one time is a real prospect IMO
Sam Fisher can play minutes 192/95
Goddard most definitely 190/92
Gwilt has played on a wing before and is daly with his disposal 188/93
Gilbert as mentioned 194/91
Siposs 188/85

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Use of Siposs and Gilbert

That would be Arryn Siposs

jays
Club Player

i think so

villasaint
Club Player

They should play back in the 2nds and see how he goes

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Are you aware that Gilbert and Goddard played on the two wings for basically all the first half the other night? I was very happy to see that and I think it worked pretty well. Both then went back for the 2nd half.
As for Arryn, Scott has stated that he wants everyone to be able to play in at least two parts of the ground, so I take it they are using this time to get Arryn able to tick another box, as far as positions is concerned. Probably the same thing is happening with Saad at the moment. That is about the only reason I'm coming up with at to why Sippa wasn't in the side from round one, as I thought he was a cert on his pre-season form. And he showed in the NAB Cup that he definitely can do well when played in the midfield. He looked very good there and got the 2nd most possies for us in the game against Geelong when played in the midfield.
Playing on the wing could also free Gilbo up and get him a bit more relaxed and enjoying his footy more again. He just doesn't look to be enjoying himself much these days and I think it's reflected in his footy. We need the Gilbo of 2008/2009/2010 back again!

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Legendary
Club Player

Watters said on the radio that provided Simpkin can stand up and once Gwilt gets back, he definitely wants to use Gilbert as a bigger body through the middle of the ground. Called him an '80 metre' player, who can win the footy, run 15-20m and kick it 60-65m and said that even if its not all the time, he will try and play him more through the middle of the ground.

Interesting strategy. I like it.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Gilbert has exceptional agility. His ground level ability is one of the more underrated aspects of his game. We all know he can run and carry, chase and tackle. I'd have no problems seeing him line up regularly on a wing or even occasionally in the centre. It makes it a lot harder to man him up at contests. Could be a real point of difference if he could be a link up player through the middle of the ground.

I get the feeling with Sippa we're still trying to figure out where the ceiling is.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

For a year or so now I have been saying that Gilbert / Riewoldt are the perfect 6'3" / 6'4" inch running wingmen with real ability to mark the pill if it is roosted out of defense to help beat the zone. Need to set up 75 metres from goal and run onto the clearing kick. Would be happy with Siposs / Goddard in that mix too as rotating high forwards.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:For a year or so now I have been saying that Gilbert / Riewoldt are the perfect 6'3" / 6'4" inch running wingmen with real ability to mark the pill if it is roosted out of defense to help beat the zone. Need to set up 75 metres from goal and run onto the clearing kick. Would be happy with Siposs / Goddard in that mix too as rotating high forwards.

good post

“Yeah….nah””
hAyES
Club Player

I don't know why we keep trying to change the position Gilbert plays. He may be versatile but he should've been All Australian when we were contenders as a backmen and that's definitely where he should stay. We ruined his season last year by trying to make him a forward and his disposal going into F50 is going to undo all the good work that happened before that. I'd prefer him stay as a backmen and if there's any change it should only be to key position back to allow the likes of Schneider, Gram, Gwilt etc to come back into the side so we're quick all over the park.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:For a year or so now I have been saying that Gilbert / Riewoldt are the perfect 6'3" / 6'4" inch running wingmen with real ability to mark the pill if it is roosted out of defense to help beat the zone. Need to set up 75 metres from goal and run onto the clearing kick. Would be happy with Siposs / Goddard in that mix too as rotating high forwards.

A wingman these days is an onballer. Gilbert is pretty good below his knees but I am afraid Rooy isnt good enough below his knees to play on the ball and that is one reason we havent really ever seen him in the middle.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Did Siposs play last week?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Did Siposs play last week?
Yes for Sandy.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell