Our rookies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our rookies

Do what's best for the club....not the individual.

Andrew Jarman wanted to go on another year, as did Matthew Lloyd as did plenty of other club champs....

When does it become time to bring in new talent.....when senior players say so? No.

Cameron Ling could easily have milked another year, as could Brad Ottens, Barry Hall....they picked the right time for the club to go out..and really themselves......nothing would be worse than seeing Lenny battling away because his body is letting him down....nothing more sad than watching a washed up champion.....Brad Johnson was an example of this....

If we don't win it this year, we need to look at the next tilt, unfortunately Milne, Blake and Hayes will not be a part of that....

It's the Ponting syndrome.......you can lose with a veteran, but he doesn't learn much, doesn't improve....and is only getting worse.....

Milne, Hayes and Blake.....club greats no doubts.......one is a champion, one a legend, one a servant.....do they deserve to play as long as they want..... No.
The club comes first, and the injection of new talent is necessary.

Gwilt Edged
Club Player

bergholt wrote:dunell can stay on the rookie list for another year so there's no real mileage in upgrading him. (unless we want to give him ten games plus.) curren and ferguson would have to be upgraded in order to keep them.
Archer is in his third year on the rookie list

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Do what's best for the club....not the individual.

Andrew Jarman wanted to go on another year, as did Matthew Lloyd as did plenty of other club champs....

When does it become time to bring in new talent.....when senior players say so? No.

Cameron Ling could easily have milked another year, as could Brad Ottens, Barry Hall....they picked the right time for the club to go out..and really themselves......nothing would be worse than seeing Lenny battling away because his body is letting him down....nothing more sad than watching a washed up champion.....Brad Johnson was an example of this....

If we don't win it this year, we need to look at the next tilt, unfortunately Milne, Blake and Hayes will not be a part of that....

It's the Ponting syndrome.......you can lose with a veteran, but he doesn't learn much, doesn't improve....and is only getting worse.....

Milne, Hayes and Blake.....club greats no doubts.......one is a champion, one a legend, one a servant.....do they deserve to play as long as they want..... No.
That's making an assessment on how Lenny & Milney get through this season when we're only two rounds in.

Surely it would depend on how they go throughout the year, and particularly how they finish it off.

shmic_s
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Do what's best for the club....not the individual.

On the flip side, you don't want to do what Melbourne did and remove the soul of the club by telling these players its time to go.
These players not only provide leadership on and off the field, but are the heart of the team.

I'm sure the locker room would be a very different without Milne and Lenny.

With Simpkin and Stanley stepping up, i would imagine this is Blakes last year, Milne 50/50, and Lenny will still be around next year.
Last edited by shmic_s on Wed 11 Apr 2012 5:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Milne and Hayes will both go at seasons end...

Round 2. At least you have given them a chance. Why do we have these silly statement after 2 games. What is wrong with some supporters. Lets see how they go, the club goes and the young kids go. They have at least 20 games to see what happens.

Do people say these things so they can tell us they were right at the end of the year. You can bet all the people who had said silly things by round 2 wont mention the many things they got wrong that early.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

So Hayes and Milne are being written off already?

Thought Hayes was soooo much better after R1 in R2. Milne a bit down but still could have easily had 4.

Thought the Saints looked far far better with lenny in the team.

Seem to remember people writing off Harvs at 32 as well, and he went on to play until he was about 55.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:So Hayes and Milne are being written off already?

Thought Hayes was soooo much better after R1 in R2. Milne a bit down but still could have easily had 4.

Seem to remember people writing off Harvs at 32 as well, and he went on to play until he was about 55.

Please dont exaggerate. He retired on his 50th birthday.

These comments should have BM folling on the floor in a fit of laughter.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So who has written Hayes off, Milne and Blake for that matter...all three will have something to offer in 2012.

If Lenny is most likely to call it quits, his body has been through hell and back....if he finishes top three in the B&F and pulls up well after most games.... He will consider another round...
But, just got married, kids soon, knocked out twice this year already.....I reckon he will make the call

Milney might need to make way for some kids.....Saad, Minchington, Milera, Siposs cannot rot in the twos......and there's cripps, Crocker, Dunnell wanting a chance.....again, if he kicks 60 then he might go again. But the end sneaks up quickly at 33+

Blake will almost certainly finish up in 2012

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:So who has written Hayes off, Milne and Blake for that matter...all three will have something to offer in 2012.

If Lenny is most likely to call it quits, his body has been through hell and back....if he finishes top three in the B&F and pulls up well after most games.... He will consider another round...
But, just got married, kids soon, knocked out twice this year already.....I reckon he will make the call

Milney might need to make way for some kids.....Saad, Minchington, Milera, Siposs cannot rot in the twos......and there's cripps, Crocker, Dunnell wanting a chance.....again, if he kicks 60 then he might go again. But the end sneaks up quickly at 33+
Yes, Lenny may and Milney might.

I think the problem is because you were so definitive in your previous post
BigMart wrote:Milne and Hayes will both go at seasons end...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:So who has written Hayes off, Milne and Blake for that matter...all three will have something to offer in 2012.

Blake will almost certainly finish up in 2012

Your statement was simple though. No ifs and buts. Milne and Hayes will both go at seasons end. i have no idea about Milne but Lenny will not retire unless his form is poor or club wants him to go. Coming back from a knee he doesnt expect to be at his best this year but hopefully if given the chance will hopefully even be better next year. He didnt do all that work for one year. And getting married and having kids soon is even more reason to want to keep playing.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

who is older - dustin fletcher or moses?

there is the possibility milney and len-dog might just say enough is enough. i cant do another pre-season. they might call it themselves.

GWS aside does anyone know how many 33yos are playing in the AFL this year?

PJ
SS Life Member

Just a few thoughts regarding Rookie elevations

It seems at present we have about 5 that are in contention for elevation

Dunny, Ferg, Thomas the tank engine, The panther, Minch

Where are Arch & Android at?

5 may be a stretch but if even 3 are elevated where does that sit with the super draft (and I use the term loosely here) when we are considering our list - surely we can't change the list by more than 7 or 8. Plenty to think about.

Next trade/draft/list managment period should be very interesting and throw in free agancy -

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think the problem is that no one wants to believe the reality...... Lenny will be 33 and his body has not had it easy, like playing as a QB sweeper as Dustin Fletcher has for 12 years..... Not sure if Dustin lays 10 tackles a game ( or season) or gets smashed 10+ times a game....

And plugger, When footy does not become the most important thing in Lenny's life, the decision to retire becomes a lot easier.....and the competative edge is harder to maintain.

Milney wil live and die by his results..... As soon as his explosive power goes, he will.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think the problem is that no one wants to believe the reality...... Lenny will be 33 and his body has not had it easy, like playing as a QB sweeper as Dustin Fletcher has for 12 years..... Not sure if Dustin lays 10 tackles a game ( or season) or gets smashed 10+ times a game....

And plugger, When footy does not become the most important thing in Lenny's life, the decision to retire becomes a lot easier.....and the competative edge is harder to maintain.

Milney wil live and die by his results..... As soon as his explosive power goes, he will.....

That may be true but at the moment footy is the most important thing in his life. Obviously he loves his wife but I dont think she is pregnant at the moment. He loves the game as you can tell by his attack on the ball. Certainly doesnt look different to last year when he wasnt married. Anyway the point was you said both will be gone at seasons end. It is round 2. Anything could happen in the next 20 or so games. All I know is he had no plans what so ever to retire at the end of the year but that was after one game.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:
That may be true but at the moment footy is the most important thing in his life. Obviously he loves his wife but I dont think she is pregnant at the moment. He loves the game as you can tell by his attack on the ball. Certainly doesnt look different to last year when he wasnt married. Anyway the point was you said both will be gone at seasons end. It is round 2. Anything could happen in the next 20 or so games. All I know is he had no plans what so ever to retire at the end of the year but that was after one game.

pluggsy is so close to the players he even knows their partners menstrual cycles.
he might even go through their bins looking for the pregnancy testers.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:So Hayes and Milne are being written off already?

Please dont exaggerate. He retired on his 50th birthday.

These comments should have BM folling on the floor in a fit of laughter.
Can you demonstrate folling on youtube and provide us with a link.... :lol:

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:

pluggsy is so close to the players he even knows their partners menstrual cycles.
he might even go through their bins looking for the pregnancy testers.

You have it in one Con.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Are you Lenny Hayes Plugger???

I certainly hope not, because I love Lenny......

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Are you Lenny Hayes Plugger???

Why would you ask such a patently silly question.

P66 is about 50, and is not Lenny Hayes.

When do you reckon Harvs should have retired? At 33 or when he thought his football had gone downhill?

Lenny looked as good as always on Sunday. Why pension him off because of a birthdate when there is no in and under within cooee of him at the club.

While I like Armo, he is not in Lenny's league, and the other youngens coming in wont be ready for a few years.

The Saints midfield is so much better with Lenny there. He may well retire at year end, but how you can make definitive statements likie you are an expert on what they will or wont do is ridiculous.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

id think Hayes/Milne - depending on results this year, would be needed with our youth to push through next year even more so. It may mean they take greater rest during the year and kids get games but I cant see another ball extractor demanding Hayes spot for Saints right now- even at 32?

Ross/Saad need to play alongside these champions for a few seasons.

Blake is in his last yr.

“Yeah….nah””
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Jack Steven
David Srmitage
Tom Ledger
Sebastian Ross

And last years man that stood up
N.Dal Santo

It could be argued, that Nick Dal Santo.....had his best season due to the absence of Lenny Hayes..
Before one can succeed fully, he needs full opportunity.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Jack Steven
David Srmitage
Tom Ledger
Sebastian Ross

And last years man that stood up
N.Dal Santo

It could be argued, that Nick Dal Santo.....had his best season due to the absence of Lenny Hayes..
Before one can succeed fully, he needs full opportunity.
I dont think any of them extract and CONSISTENTLY win the contested footy like Hayes. Dal Santo certainly leads the way but its Hayes IMO that still has the knack of winning key contests out of the middle that turns momentum.

The others ?

“Yeah….nah””
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt Edged wrote:
bergholt wrote:dunell can stay on the rookie list for another year so there's no real mileage in upgrading him. (unless we want to give him ten games plus.) curren and ferguson would have to be upgraded in order to keep them.
Archer is in his third year on the rookie list
yeah, fair point. why is that? i was pretty sure they were all two year contracts and then they had to re-enter the draft, but maybe there's a clause in there which i don't know about.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not many in the league can extract the ball like the Lendog....he is a bonafide champion.

Mitchell, Judd, Watson, Ablett, Pendlebury, Kerr, selwood, cotchin....... All great extractors...

Points is, can we rely on him doing that in his mid thirties......crash and bash mids don't make it there often...a

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Are you Lenny Hayes Plugger???

No I am not. Are you Jason Akamanis?

I certainly hope so because I dont like him.

By the way i am arranging a retirement party for lenny and Milney at the end of the year. Should I tell the media they are finishing?